Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    My vote as well for 4x MSR Groundhogs. More importantly IMO, I bring longer guylines and use Skurka's guyline system, which gives me options and potentially lets me reach natural anchors farther away, which are infinitely better than stakes.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ufdigga View Post
    1. With the lines connected to the stakes, cord management is as easy as gathering the four stakes together and wrapping the bundle of four guylines around them. No individual guylines, no figure-8 roll-ups, and no getting all tangled with the tarp in the snake skins. You end up with a compact bundle the length of the stakes about the diameter of a quarter, and I never have to deal with tangles.
    I've been a naysayer on this from the beginning, but I have to admit setting up/taking down the tarp is my lease favorite thing ever. Switching to this method would pretty much solve that.

So you hold all 4 stakes and wrap all 4 lines at the same time? If that doesn't tangle, I will have to try this. And the LineLoc hooks would be a great option here.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I've been a naysayer on this from the beginning, but I have to admit setting up/taking down the tarp is my lease favorite thing ever. Switching to this method would pretty much solve that.

So you hold all 4 stakes and wrap all 4 lines at the same time? If that doesn't tangle, I will have to try this. And the LineLoc hooks would be a great option here.
    I wrap the line around each stake with tarp hooks on the lines, and just click it onto the wrap to hold it in place. Haven't run into any tangles, but it does make the stake bag a bit bulkier.

2020-01-23_10-48-08_301.jpg

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post

Yep, piece of cake! It would work well with any of the hook-type connectors tethered to the stake, with the shock cord CL on the tarp. One benefit to this approach that surprised me: when the stake is in the ground but not connected (usually half pitch, or tarp in snakeskins), I coil up the guyline and drop it on top of the stake. Since it's so visible, when it starts raining at 3:00am, I don't spend 90 seconds bleary-eyed and cursing as I try to locate the stake in the dirt. And since I put the guylines on the stakes, I've never accidentally left a stake behind.

It's a fun project for your new-found splicing habit.

IMG_20200123_083241.jpgIMG_20200123_083254.jpgIMG_20200123_083142.jpg
    Last edited by ufdigga; 01-23-2020 at 11:02.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    This is my setup (lines on, and stored around winter stakes, with LineLocs on the tarp) for winter when I'm not dealing with dirt or mud, but it is not always tangle-free IME. For summer, lines stay attached to the tarp to stay clean and tangle-free in snakeskins.

To the OP question, 4-8 of the DAC (v-stakes?), generally the smallest size, but I've got a few larger ones for duff or softer soil, as well.

I've played with Ti shepherd hooks and others, but I always come back to the DACs.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I, too, prefer the DAC V stakes. In short_med.

They pack better, hold as well as the Y stakes and are tougher than most.

http://www.thetentlab.com/stakesncor...derstakes.html

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Up here in the rocky NE, I end up using Lawson "HD" Ti shepherd hooks (7") because they're good at "finding" little cracks and gaps between the rocks.

(oops, checked my link and they're out of stock right now... worth waiting for, however.)
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Up here in the rocky NE, I end up using Lawson "HD" Ti shepherd hooks (7") because they're good at "finding" little cracks and gaps between the rocks.

(oops, checked my link and they're out of stock right now... worth waiting for, however.)

Yep... Ditto this ^^^^^^

Four HD Shephards and two UL Shephards for the doors. Unless it's a frozen world which is where I switch to 6" gutter nails so I can pound the snot out of them if needed and feel not bad about bending one.

All three tarps have their own lines attached. If I lose my stakes, I can improvise. If I lose my stakes AND my lines are attached... I'm screwed.
    Last edited by MikekiM; 01-25-2020 at 11:40.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I carry 4 titanium Shepherd hooks for hard ground and 4 big aluminum Lawson stakes for soft ground.
    The Lawson stakes are my favorite because you can't lose them and they hold quite well in soft ground or heavy duff.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I keep my Shepard hooks separate in there own bag, tips up. As I pack at home, I count out the number I'll need given the tarps I'll have (packing for two + possibly a picnic table cover) plus some extra. This summer I'll proablly include some Y stakes in the mix. I also have some titanium "nails" I had picked up for ground shelters.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast