Hammock
    Superior Gear, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Hammock Gear has 20% off their tarps right now. https://hammockgear.com/new-website-sil-poly/

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Are you sold on the Chameleon? It's a fine hammock, I have one, but it's not the lightest in the bunch, for what it is. If you're weight conscious and you don't have to have a super full coverage bugnet all the time, maybe look at the Half-Wit from Dutchware? It's 6 inches shorter and has a lot less bugnet (bare minimum) and no zippers, etc so it weighs a lot less than the Chameleon and many others. If you went that way, you could potentially get a larger, less expensive tarp that weighs a few ounces more and be even in the overall weight department. A thought.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LearnedHat View Post
    I was asking the OP about the setup that he itemized. I know the answer now - don't rely on a 4 ft strap unless you want to be relegated to 12" diameter trees.
    Gotcha.

Still a good question for you to post on it's own. It's amazing the conversations that start from a single question like that one.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Gt5228 View Post
    Minifly or Superfly?
    What about them?

Images
    This is the tarp (series) I always recommend for folks looking to hit a ~$100 budget. High quality tarps handmade to order in Michigan (which looks like it's local for you).

https://ugqoutdoor.com/tarps/penny-pincher-tarps/

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    Loco UQ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Doubl Woopie
    Thanks all for being so helpful and supportive. I knew I wanted to hammock from the moment i first laid in one. The hammock community, however, is what made me want to spend the money once I realized how expensive they are! You guys are awesome!

Anyways I think I might go with the minifly for now because it's reasonably priced and seemingly very versatile for it small size/weight($110-11.5oz). I like the idea of beaks because they are similar in function to doors without added weight. Plus I like how when they are folded back, the tarp becomes a standard (small) hex tarp. Sure maybe it's multi use aspect could be called a master of none, but this is exactly what hikers like me deal with. We must make compromises in weight and function in order to find a happy balance of warmth, comfort, and general functionality. To get, for example, a lightweight shelter, a tent hiker may need to compromise in comfort by a single wall tent that handles condensation very poorly. I know that there is no perfect tarp for every condition. What I need is a tarp that's pretty good for most conditions, without it being 20oz!

I did however consider all other suggestions. I was actually torn between the minifly and the suggested penny pincher 11wb with pullouts ($105/13.5oz). Also, the folks at UGQ are really great and wanted to support a local company, but I feel like my picks from other cottage companies suit my unique needs more. I do think that they are probably one of the best cottage brands out there. I also have personally meet the crew and bought a few other things from them, and could not be happier.

Again, this community is really something special. I can't wait to join it and hopfully someday help others make these choices!
    Last edited by Gt5228; 01-23-2020 at 23:25.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's
    Insulation
    Potomac, Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I have a Kelty Noah's Tarp (12 foot) that I have been using for several years now. I have had it in multiple high wind and storm situations in the BWCA and it held up great.

It is huge! Well made! AND CHEAP!

I have treated it with some waterproofing about 2 years ago, after the season was over and after it had been in multiple rainstorms.

Lots of configurations, tie out points and you can easily add pole mods.

tarp.jpg

Hammock.jpg

tarp mods 1.jpg

IMAG0824.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12