SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    You could of course adjust the tarp such that the CRL is completely slack in the middle, which means that the tarp would be bearing all the tension, making it, in effect, a split RL. I personally don't want all that tension on my tarps.
    Please don’t take this as arguing, only a friendly debate hoping I learn something. This is what I am thinking.
    With a CRL I absolutely agree that the CRL would lessen the amount of tension on the tarp when your tarp is in it’s snakeskins hanging static. In affect having 2 ridges bearing the tension, the tarp and the CRL. At that point if you were to pull the trees apart the CRL would have to break before giving the full tension load to the tarp.
    But once you unfurl the tarp and stake it down the physics get fuzzy to me and where I need a little convincing/teaching. In respect to the tarp ripping in the wind, I haven’t heard that the trees were pulled away, only that the wind did the damage. So can we say the tarp was being pulled away from the tree? With the tarp doing the pulling because of the wind, wasn’t the force that ripped the tarp concentrated on the tarps own ridgeline tie out area? If so, the tarp had to transfer the force from the panel >through it’s tie out > to the line> to the tree. No matter if it was a split line or continuous line the force from the panel had to make it the tree. To me it looks like the tarp ripped trying to do that. I just cannot understand how a CRL would have prevented that in this situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    Here is mine which almost let go in last weekend's storm
    The idea is it gives way before anything else

20200124_121831.jpg20200124_121843.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I see.. So they will expand hence.. Split apart there for releasing the tarp instead of ripping it? I see Dutch sells titanium ones.. So same idea correct?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you want them to be the first point of failure, perhaps you'd be looking for something not as robust - like what you'd find at a hobby/fabric store. I suppose a person could be pretty scientific about it ... decide at what poundage (force) they'd want it to fail so the tarp won't be torn, then see how many cheap split rings it takes to hold that weight.

I've used just one and had wind open it up while I was out on a day hike. Better the split ring than the tarp.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    I see.. So they will expand hence.. Split apart there for releasing the tarp instead of ripping it? I see Dutch sells titanium ones.. So same idea correct?
    Yes correct
    I had one break in half last year in a storm.in pa
    Mikiem has researched this extensively..he will know better
    But I use the ones from warbonet as they seem to break.away before damage occurs on my superfly

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Since I’ve enjoyed learning splicing this is a logical next step. If I keep my crl is this the current method you are using?

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...88#post1854188
    Yep... that's a great place to start. You can create the mini ucrs and thread them onto you current CRL just to test them..

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I know cord is tested and rated for certain uses, but I can't image that stuff breaking from wind. Seems like it would need to rub on something abrasive. The only reason I don't use it for tieouts is because it seems like it would tangle easily. I have a spool but never used it for anything yet. The size where I start calling it "string".
    I used Micro Cord for a short time. OMG does it tangle quickly. I switched to Z-Line and never saw reason to try anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Nice stuff for $4.50 though! I'm trying to find excuses to use it, but not really thinking of anything.
    I have maybe six spools of the Micro Cord. I'll send you some if you want to try it. At this point, the only time I use it is for stuff sack draw cords and whippings on ucrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    Yes correct
    I had one break in half last year in a storm.in pa
    Mikiem has researched this extensively..he will know better
    But I use the ones from warbonet as they seem to break.away before damage occurs on my superfly
    Yep.. I researched them intensely a few years ago. My first instinct was to try Ti. Ti defeats the purpose as they are far too strong. You want them to be the point of first failure. To use Ti, you have to go so small and light that you can't handle them or thread anything through them.

You're looking for something in the 80 - 100 lb test range. At that rating they will deform, but not pull full out. Had that happen with cheap plated split rings I bought from the big box store at the key kiosk. Skip those too.

Next I tried fishing tackle. Options abound. All kinds of sizes, gauges and strengths. Fisherman don't use much Ti.. they use stainless. Ok, I can be ok with stainless, right? But the tackle shops want the split rings as a matter of convenience for attaching stuff and the last thing they want is a point of failure that could result in the loss of a fish or a piece of tackle. The breaking point for them is the sport.. how light can make this stuff and how heavy of a fish can I take in on it. In my experience, all of the tackle options are way too strong.. so much so that in the 1/2" size I wanted for my tarps, I couldn't open the rings enough to get them threaded on.

In the end, I called Brandon at Warbonnet and bought a bag of them.. Keep two or three in my repair kit as they come in handy. Save yourself the time and trust me on this one.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Yep... that's a great place to start. You can create the mini ucrs and thread them onto you current CRL just to test them..

I used Micro Cord for a short time. OMG does it tangle quickly. I switched to Z-Line and never saw reason to try anything else.

I have maybe six spools of the Micro Cord. I'll send you some if you want to try it. At this point, the only time I use it is for stuff sack draw cords and whippings on ucrs.

Yep.. I researched them intensely a few years ago. My first instinct was to try Ti. Ti defeats the purpose as they are far too strong. You want them to be the point of first failure. To use Ti, you have to go so small and light that you can't handle them or thread anything through them.

You're looking for something in the 80 - 100 lb test range. At that rating they will deform, but not pull full out. Had that happen with cheap plated split rings I bought from the big box store at the key kiosk. Skip those too.

Next I tried fishing tackle. Options abound. All kinds of sizes, gauges and strengths. Fisherman don't use much Ti.. they use stainless. Ok, I can be ok with stainless, right? But the tackle shops want the split rings as a matter of convenience for attaching stuff and the last thing they want is a point of failure that could result in the loss of a fish or a piece of tackle. The breaking point for them is the sport.. how light can make this stuff and how heavy of a fish can I take in on it. In my experience, all of the tackle options are way too strong.. so much so that in the 1/2" size I wanted for my tarps, I couldn't open the rings enough to get them threaded on.

In the end, I called Brandon at Warbonnet and bought a bag of them.. Keep two or three in my repair kit as they come in handy. Save yourself the time and trust me on this one.
    Will do!! Thankyou very much

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Warbonnet does not sell the split rings on their site. I did email them asking if any way I can buy a dozen from them.. Waiting on response.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    They don't list them.. that's why i mentioned messaging Brandon.

I bought a bag of them a long time ago and don't remember for sure.. but I think postage was more than the cost of the rings.. The rings were cheap.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Thanks.. I don't mind paying a little $$ if needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast