Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    My general experience with uhmwpe-on-uhmwpe is that the "normal" number of wraps for friction knots/hitches won't hold, and that by the time you introduce enough wraps that they do hold, the knots become very difficult to release after being heavily loaded. I've tested with prusik, klemheist, hedden, blake's and a few others. Now if you use Zing-it as the main RL and a polyester cord to make a prusik loop, for instance, that will hold, especially if the cord used for the prusik is something smaller diameter such as 1.2mm Atwood Micro cord.

This is why I have settled upon Lawson Glowire and Guywire (2mm) for everything — I'm an unapologetic knot nut and this stuff holds any knot and is highly tangle resistant. But it is not spliceable!
    I have some triptease available, would that likely work better for the prusik to zingit knots?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    I have some triptease available, would that likely work better for the prusik to zingit knots?
    Yest, Kelty Triptease is good for that. A 3-wrap prusik will work fine.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    If i could ask a related question, i’m using a zing it crl attached with zing it prusiks. Instead of slipping easily they are difficult to move (even when not under tension). Should I switch to different line for them? I may also have overlooped them and i’m going to try again with that. I started with a lot of ‘bling’ and i’m gradually switching to knots as I improve.
    You could also stay with your zingit setup and switch from prussiks to mini ucrs. I HATE prussiks. We came up with the mini ucr for exactly the reason you describe. They work equally well with split or continuous RLs, NEVER get stuck, NEVER hard to adjust and in my experience if you get the bury length correct have NEVER slipped. You can use your current ridge line and add two mini ucrs in about ten minutes.

No, because you can adjust the position of the prusiks to increase or decrease tension on the tarp while the CRL tension remains the same.

Don't know if I am completely sold on this..yet. As m00ch mentions, once the ends of the tarp are tensioned you could, technically, remove the center section of RL (which is one of the reasons I have abandoned the CRL). So let's assume the ridge line does snap under stress and does so right above the tarp... the tension at the ridge tie outs is no different than had you had split lines. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    How were the stingers connected to the tarp?
    Did it have a split ring?
    I was In the same storm last weekend in vt and had a split ring deform but not break
    I too watched the trees sway and thought to myself what kinda tension that must create
    It bent my center poles pretty good
    I had a split ring (warbonet) give way in pa storm.last year
    Now I carry some extras

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    First thing I do with all of my tarps is snip off the d-ring at the ridge tie outs and put on a split ring. If there is likely to be a failure I expect it at the ridge. The ground corners have enough fuses in them.. lighter cordage, stakes that can pullout etc...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Don't know if I am completely sold on this..yet. As m00ch mentions, once the ends of the tarp are tensioned you could, technically, remove the center section of RL (which is one of the reasons I have abandoned the CRL). So let's assume the ridge line does snap under stress and does so right above the tarp... the tension at the ridge tie outs is no different than had you had split lines. What am I missing?
    You could of course adjust the tarp such that the CRL is completely slack in the middle, which means that the tarp would be bearing all the tension, making it, in effect, a split RL. I personally don't want all that tension on my tarps.

Also, I use the CRL to hold up my side panel pullout poles (trekking poles) which is another reason I really need the CRL. If the wind blows hard enough to snap the CRL, well that's gonna be some hellacious blow and I'll be having other problems as well and will probably be figuring out Plan B. But Zing-it has a rated strength of 500 lbs so it is still likely that the tarp will shred first.

However, in that big wind situation at Dolly Sods I was using 1.2mm Micro Cord with 100 lb break strength on the corner guys and it held fine. At Dolly, I was amazed that everything held all night... not even the skinny Ti shepherd hooks came out.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    You could also stay with your zingit setup and switch from prussiks to mini ucrs. I HATE prussiks. We came up with the mini ucr for exactly the reason you describe. They work equally well with split or continuous RLs, NEVER get stuck, NEVER hard to adjust and in my experience if you get the bury length correct have NEVER slipped. You can use your current ridge line and add two mini ucrs in about ten minutes.

First thing I do with all of my tarps is snip off the d-ring at the ridge tie outs and put on a split ring. If there is likely to be a failure I expect it at the ridge. The ground corners have enough fuses in them.. lighter cordage, stakes that can pullout etc...

Since I’ve enjoyed learning splicing this is a logical next step. If I keep my crl is this the current method you are using?

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...88#post1854188

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    However, in that big wind situation at Dolly Sods I was using 1.2mm Micro Cord with 100 lb break strength on the corner guys and it held fine. At Dolly, I was amazed that everything held all night... not even the skinny Ti shepherd hooks came out.
    I know cord is tested and rated for certain uses, but I can't image that stuff breaking from wind. Seems like it would need to rub on something abrasive. The only reason I don't use it for tieouts is because it seems like it would tangle easily. I have a spool but never used it for anything yet. The size where I start calling it "string".

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I know cord is tested and rated for certain uses, but I can't image that stuff breaking from wind. Seems like it would need to rub on something abrasive. The only reason I don't use it for tieouts is because it seems like it would tangle easily. I have a spool but never used it for anything yet. The size where I start calling it "string".
    Correct on all counts.

In fact, in the morning the wind was still very strong and when I pulled out the stakes the guy lines on each end whipped around and tangled themselves into nasty little balls of string. I did not even bother trying to untangle them then, and late that day when we made our next campsite it took nearly an hour to sort out the mess. That's when I decided not to use micro cord any more.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Correct on all counts.

In fact, in the morning the wind was still very strong and when I pulled out the stakes the guy lines on each end whipped around and tangled themselves into nasty little balls of string. I did not even bother trying to untangle them then, and late that day when we made our next campsite it took nearly an hour to sort out the mess. That's when I decided not to use micro cord any more.
    Nice stuff for $4.50 though! I'm trying to find excuses to use it, but not really thinking of anything.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

What is a split ring??

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Actually.. i see what the split ring is.. but how does that work? How does that help any different?

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast