Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    If i could ask a related question, i’m using a zing it crl attached with zing it prusiks. Instead of slipping easily they are difficult to move (even when not under tension). Should I switch to different line for them? I may also have overlooped them and i’m going to try again with that. I started with a lot of ‘bling’ and i’m gradually switching to knots as I improve.
    My general experience with uhmwpe-on-uhmwpe is that the "normal" number of wraps for friction knots/hitches won't hold, and that by the time you introduce enough wraps that they do hold, the knots become very difficult to release after being heavily loaded. I've tested with prusik, klemheist, hedden, blake's and a few others. Now if you use Zing-it as the main RL and a polyester cord to make a prusik loop, for instance, that will hold, especially if the cord used for the prusik is something smaller diameter such as 1.2mm Atwood Micro cord.

This is why I have settled upon Lawson Glowire and Guywire (2mm) for everything — I'm an unapologetic knot nut and this stuff holds any knot and is highly tangle resistant. But it is not spliceable!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    I use fixed ridge line.. each end has Dutch stingerz with 12 ft reflector line attached.
    What hardware, if any did you use on the corners of the tarp? I am always curious if the cold has a measurable effect on a Lineloc.

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    That's a good question.

I use a single line with prusiks to attach the tarp to it. This way I can make the ridge line tight as the proverbial banjo string and control the stress put on the tarp itself... it seems to me that this might be preferred to having those tarp RL attachment points stretched really tight, pre-loading so to speak. With the single line setup I do not use shock cords, but I think that the flexibility in the system might help reduce shock loading.

My only similar anecdotal data point comes from an experience a couple of years ago at Dolly Sods. We were camped in a fairly exposed area at a time when the remnants of a tropical storm (formerly Hurricane Michael, IIRC) were scooting up the East Coast and leaving a very strong pressure gradient on the back side of the system. Very strong wind... no exaggeration to say 30mph sustained and frequent gusts to 50mph and maybe more. I was getting knocked around like a piñata, nearly certain that my dainty HG Hex with .51 DCF was going to be ripped by morning, but somehow it held firm and I've used it many times since.

Did the tarp RL setup make the difference? I don't know... there are so many factors involved that apple-to-apple comparisons are difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    hmmmm.... that's the first good argument I've seen for using a CRL instead of split RL's
    But, assuming the prusiks didn't slip wouldn't the tension from tie out to tree be the exact same as if it was split? Once the tarp is hung couldn't you cut out the CRL between the prusiks?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    But, assuming the prusiks didn't slip wouldn't the tension from tie out to tree be the exact same as if it was split? Once the tarp is hung couldn't you cut out the CRL between the prusiks?
    No, because you can adjust the position of the prusiks to increase or decrease tension on the tarp while the CRL tension remains the same.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    No, because you can adjust the position of the prusiks to increase or decrease tension on the tarp while the CRL tension remains the same.
    Hmmmm. Yeah I can visualize that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of the reasons why I choose a CRL for my tarps. During very windy conditions, I have seen the trees that I'm connected to sway in opposing directions, which creates a lot of tension on the CRL.

Having the tarp connected to the CRL with a method that allows for some slippage when under severe tension, should help alleviate this type of damage. Sort of an early warning fail-safe.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    What hardware, if any did you use on the corners of the tarp? I am always curious if the cold has a measurable effect on a Lineloc.
    I use linelocs.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    hmmmm.... that's the first good argument I've seen for using a CRL instead of split RL's
    When I use split RLs, my RLs and tarp have a catenary curve to them between the trees. Figure if the wind is blowing so hard the trees are moving it’ll give some leeway for tarp and lines to flex.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    When I use split RLs, my RLs and tarp have a catenary curve to them between the trees. Figure if the wind is blowing so hard the trees are moving it’ll give some leeway for tarp and lines to flex.

Thats a good idea.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a DCF tarp doesn't have as much give as a woven fabric tarp.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    How were the stingers connected to the tarp?
    Did it have a split ring?
    I was In the same storm last weekend in vt and had a split ring deform but not break
    I too watched the trees sway and thought to myself what kinda tension that must create
    It bent my center poles pretty good
    I had a split ring (warbonet) give way in pa storm.last year
    Now I carry some extras

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast