Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Did you stake out the panel pulls? If you stake on the windward side you won't get the cupping, and this should help your stakes stay put.
    I always tie a 12 foot guy on one panel pull on each side and leave them there, so they are ready when I need them. In a stiff wind attach the guy to the other panel pull, attach another 12 foot guy to the center, set a trekking pole to maximum length, wrap the guyline around the handle and stake out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You also might want to consider adding an underquilt protector (UQP) to keep the wind/rain away. It's part of my permanent kit.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    How do folks like to orient their setup in relation to the wind? Prefer putting the foot end tree between the wind and you? Or head end? Or let it hit on the side? And of course wind changes direction but what’s your logic when setting up?

—-
    OP -
    I split the difference with stakes. 4 groundhogs and 2 hooks for the doors. I find ground soil firmness can vary so hooks may work great in one region/place but not in another.

Tie down to trees or roots if you have them around. These won’t go anywhere.

Location and natural features can help. Last time I was camped on Mt Rogers, the wind was changing from light wind to intermittent gusts and later full on gusts. I noticed a hammocker setup in a prime view location. And also the one with most wind. I’ve done it too. I’m now a bit more picky when the wind is blowing.

Reminder to check for widow makers. Easy to forget when you get focused on the rest.

Finally... kudos to you on practicing before hitting the trail . You’ll do just fine. Let us know if you post trail updates any where.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I like to have my right side (head left, feet right) to the wind. That way I can still have porch mode and block wind/rain. Of course the wind changes and swirls around so it almost doesn't matter. But I try.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    In the "setup in the wind" contest, the wind was winning - until I switched to snake skins. Now I can string the tarp up just fine. As for orientation, at first I thought I'd put the tarp broadside to the wind for maximum blockage. But that just pushed the wall of the tarp into the hammock on strong gusts. And because there was a little puddle/pool of water gathered on the tarp (not rigged at a angle to assure drainage), it dumped that water right at the edge of my hammock on my shoes. Either that or I didn't go far enough to "water the trees" at night.

The next day I changed the orientation so the wind was parallel to the tarp sides and in addition to not caving the sides in, an additional feature was that it caused "lift" and pulled the tarp sides away from the hammock.

I've never had a stake pull out with a tarp but I've had that happen with a tent. I do have some bungee cord on the tarp corners and maybe that lack of rigidity allowed the tarp to spill the wind instead of resist solidly (transferring the force to the ground stakes) against it.

Unless experience proves otherwise, from now on, if given a choice, I'll set up parallel to the wind.

In the events above, I was using a SuperFly and a ThunderFly.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 01-23-2020 at 14:19.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    I used a brand new hammock gear standard DCF tarp with doors last weekend in 30 mph winds .. The gusts did get to 50 mph over night.. But unfortunately my tarp did not make it.. After about 1 hour in the beginning of the wind.. 30 mph ( about) the tarp shredded off the ridge line like a tissue. I have used my winter palace before plenty of times and also my standard DCF tarp without doors, plenty of times over the years and never had anything like this happen. On that note.. Last winter I had problems with my stakes, so This year I decided to try MSR groundhogs.. They worked perfectly!! Not 1 stake got loose or pulled out.

20200118_151446.jpg 20200118_151453.jpg
    In the picture you can see where it shredded off ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Oh man that sucks!! Was that the last night or did you have to make it work another night afterwards?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    It happened on 2nd day.. Still had to make it thru that day and night.. In heart of storm.. I just posted trip report in the trip report forum..

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    I used a brand new hammock gear standard DCF tarp with doors last weekend in 30 mph winds .. The gusts did get to 50 mph over night.. But unfortunately my tarp did not make it.. After about 1 hour in the beginning of the wind.. 30 mph ( about) the tarp shredded off the ridge line like a tissue. I have used my winter palace before plenty of times and also my standard DCF tarp without doors, plenty of times over the years and never had anything like this happen. On that note.. Last winter I had problems with my stakes, so This year I decided to try MSR groundhogs.. They worked perfectly!! Not 1 stake got loose or pulled out.

20200118_151446.jpg 20200118_151453.jpg
    In the picture you can see where it shredded off ridgeline.

I think I might have cried.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Lol. I did inside.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast