WBBB XCL SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopie

RR Double layer or not ?

Considering a RR but unsure if a pad is actually needed or not ? Obv going for a double layer will give me the option but comes with a weight cost.

Any advise please

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I got the double layer and I will say at this point I do not regret it (gone back and forth a couple of times). The only downside is the weight and honestly after the base weight and spreader bars the extra 2-4 oz is not something I noticed. When I have used a pad I found it comfortable enough but I only have a 20" wide pad and a lot of what others have written is that something as wide as 30" is really ideal. Probably going to swap my current pad in for the same in a wide (25") version and call that a good compromise for tent and being in a hammock. A few people have also commented that they prefer a pad in a RR to an UQ as they find it give them a flatter lay. I have not noticed this yet but interested to try it when it is a bit warmer. I am also curious how combining the lynx UQ and a pad at the same time works, if there is enough room or if it is just a bit too snug. Seems like a nice option for pushing the temperature rating of the UQ. Other bonus is always if you have to go to ground it is a plus to have a pad, so if you do like the pad then it is a bit of extra security.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    The double layer gives you the flexibility of using a pad, adds bottom bug protection, extra storage, and is an added layer of confidence at a minimal weight penalty.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    What’s a couple ozs on a rig that isn’t ultralight either way. Double up and try a klymit 30” pad. Pretty nice rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I have the double layer and like the lay better and I'm not a fan of pads.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG CF Tarp w/doors
    Insulation
    HGTQ WB Yeti
    Suspension
    CF/Poly Ti clips
    My RR is on order. Went with the double, even though I am very weight conscious. I have a single BB, and moving to the RR, am examining every ounce. Chose the double for four reasons. 1) A little extra insurance in case on layer gets a snag, either from twigs, dirt, whatever that doesn't get brushed off on my backside or feet, or from accidentally grazing the brush underneath. 2) more comfortable lay (according to WB). Rated 50 pounds heavier. I know, may not mean much but still.

And the third and probably most important (to me): actually saving weight, at least for my logic. The only thing that wakes me up in the morning, other than the birds, sunshine and the need for coffee, is a cold leg. I just can't bring myself to invest eight more ounces into a wooki, but am done with cold legs. Putting extra stuff around my legs doesn't work because I kick it off in my sleep. Looking forward to inserting a small pad. AHE makes an ideal, ultralight pad just for the lower legs. Might take Gossamer Gear's longer pad for redundancy in case I have to go to ground. So I guess that would be a fourth reason.

Since I haven't even tried a RR yet, call these hopes rather than beliefs, free to you, worth every penny at twice the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dippa View Post
    Considering a RR but unsure if a pad is actually needed or not ?
    Pad is not needed (not sure when a pad is ever needed in a hammock)
    However the RR comfort level is absolutely fantastic with a pad.
    I use a Nemo Tensor insulated, because of the horizontal baffles - the idea being it gives a flatter lay that way
    (Warning: the Tensor is poor as an insulator - pretty disappointing for a rather expensive pad)

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    For those of you using a pad for comfort in conjunction with an UQ for insulation, does the pad effect the fit of the UQ at all? Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread... I haven't tried a pad in mine yet because I hate pads, they don't breath like an UQ and make me sweaty but people using them just for comfort in their RR has me curious.

I do have a double layer and just purchased a single layer without net to use exclusively with my spindrift sock in the winter but I haven't slept in it yet so I don't have an opinion on which is better. I tend to like a stiff fabric so I think I'll prefer the lay of the DL but time will tell.

I'm slowly transitioning away from my GE hammocks so anything about the RR hammocks catches my attention as my experience so far has been phenomenal but limited in the RR.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Jamaulwall, I hae no problem using my full-length Lynx UQ along with my pad. the pad does not affect the fit of the UQ at all, that I can see. As for the issue of a pad not breathing, there are some sheet-like covers you can get to put the pad in; that could reduce the sweat issue.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Thanks for the reply, it's good to hear it doesn't interfere with the UQ. I may have to do some experimenting with a pad and see what I think. I've been extremely comfortable without the pad so I don't know that there is much room to improve but I won't know until I try.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast