Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Yeah anything under 70F and I'm using an underquilt. Even above 70F, I still use the underquilt.

WB has their own line of quilts that match up with their hammocks (Yeti/Wooki for the BB and Lynx for the RR). I think most of the vendors will work with WB, they just use a different method to hang them. The other thing about the Yeti/Wooki is that they are directional lay, while most other underquilts don't have that restriction. So, if you're not sure what position you prefer, maybe those aren't on the list for a first underquilt.

I've used my Phoenix on my Half Zipped and the WB Eldorado. I wish the Eldorado had pack hooks so the UQ suspension would stay in place. The Chameleon has them and pretty sure the Raven has them (at least as an option to add them).

As far as which is the best top/underquilt system? That depends on what you're looking for. If you're just trying to get started and figure things out, I'd focus on cost over weight. You did say in OP that you weren't an ultralight minimalist, so maybe look at the HG econ line in the 30F or 40F range. Good quality and inexpensive (comparatively), even more so if you can catch them on a % off sale. I think at one point they had thrown in free shipping with 15% or 20% off on in stock quilts.

I've found side sleeping in a gathered end is kinda dicey. I think that's one of the draws for a bridge hammock like the RR.
    FLTurtle thanks so much for the great advice. Do pack hooks run around the bottom perimeter of the hammock, to allow easier attachment of the underquilt

As far as the hammock gear options, do they attach where the hammock attaches to the suspension?

I'm definitely looking to keep costs reasonable but am OK with splurging a bit for something that is significantly better. You are right though that I don't want to put too much money into something if I'm likely to go a different direction later.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by RossinFL View Post
    Hey Saltfly, I didn't see your message last night. It must've come in while I was responding to everything before that. I would really like to see the chameleon as I am definitely giving it strong consideration. if it handles the bugs in the glades it will definitely handle anything the skeeters in the Sarasota area. Let me know what is convenient for you as far as checking it out....

Thanks again
    I messaged you. I have a crap load of different rigs you can try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    I am 5'8" and a little bit lol...I have the Warbonnet Blackbird and it is excellent. They are a little pricey; especially after converting to Canadian funds but I love it and would buy it again. I would think the XLC would be too much hammock for your size and not needed. Mine is burnt orange, hard to see in the pic with my UQ around it. You could always go with a HG as they are very nice as well. If your trying to save money you could always just buy a bug net to go over it unless of course you want to start fresh with something attached. Whatever you get they are all pretty good and "basically" the same, it just all depends what little perks you want on the hammock and what your willing to pay for. Send us a pic of what you finally decide on. HYOH hammock.jpg
    "Always pass on what you have learned" - Yoda

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    FLTurtle thanks so much for the great advice. Do pack hooks run around the bottom perimeter of the hammock, to allow easier attachment of the underquilt

As far as the hammock gear options, do they attach where the hammock attaches to the suspension?

I'm definitely looking to keep costs reasonable but am OK with splurging a bit for something that is significantly better. You are right though that I don't want to put too much money into something if I'm likely to go a different direction later.
    Yeah, the pack hooks are sewn on the edge between the hammock body and the bug net. On the Half Zipped there are 2 on each side of the hammock at the head and foot end, so 8 in total. The HG underquilt suspension uses shock cord that can be hung on the pack hook, but it primarily hangs from S-biners on the head and foot ends that clip on the continuous loop.

I usually use the pack hook on my left shoulder and sometimes one or two on the right side to keep the UQ in place. There are none on the Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by County_mountie View Post
    I am 5'8" and a little bit lol...I have the Warbonnet Blackbird and it is excellent. They are a little pricey; especially after converting to Canadian funds but I love it and would buy it again. I would think the XLC would be too much hammock for your size and not needed. Mine is burnt orange, hard to see in the pic with my UQ around it. You could always go with a HG as they are very nice as well. If your trying to save money you could always just buy a bug net to go over it unless of course you want to start fresh with something attached. Whatever you get they are all pretty good and "basically" the same, it just all depends what little perks you want on the hammock and what your willing to pay for. Send us a pic of what you finally decide on. HYOH hammock.jpg
    I've heard such great things about WB. What I don't like is I wasn't able to find a phone number on their website to use to contact them.... that sucks. I certainly haven't ruled them out but that's a bummer. I will defjjitely send a picture of whatever I wind up with! Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Yeah, the pack hooks are sewn on the edge between the hammock body and the bug net. On the Half Zipped there are 2 on each side of the hammock at the head and foot end, so 8 in total. The HG underquilt suspension uses shock cord that can be hung on the pack hook, but it primarily hangs from S-biners on the head and foot ends that clip on the continuous loop.

I usually use the pack hook on my left shoulder and sometimes one or two on the right side to keep the UQ in place. There are none on the Eldorado.
    Ok thanks a lot for the description. I do like the idea of the underquilt attaching to the bottom of the hammock. Seems like it would make for a tighter and more streamlined package.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been a long tme lurker on this forum but haven't posted much. For years and years I've used a basic eno hammock without a bugnet. It's always been plenty comfortable but last time out, the lack of a bugnet was a bad thing.... mosquitos in FL. So this leads me to wanting to get a hammock with bugnet. Years back I always wanted to get a Clark Hammock. I realize they went out of business and are apparently getting back in but the hammocks aren't availible now. Lately I've been looking at the Warbonnet Hammocks too, including the XLC. So I've figured I would come on here and ask for recommendations. Any info/tips are appreciated!

Helpful info
    I'm about 5'9" and sleep warm. I definitely want a bug net. It does not need to hold more than one person. It doesn't need to be ultralight weight or minimalist. I'm in FL so good circulation/air flow is good. The ability to set it up on the ground as a tent sounds nice but I don't know what if anything I would be giving up by going with what seems like a compromise (but I'm not sure about that).
    The XLC is a very nice hammock.
    I used my WB Eldorado a lot this past year for 3 season. But I have many hammocks and switch around alot depending on mood, season, bugs and weather.
    Good luck on your eventual choice.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Hennessy/ Woods
    Insulation
    Hennessy DB
    Suspension
    Hennessy
    I have the Hennessy Expedition asymmetrical zip, lots of room, attached bug net and comes with a rain fly and tree huggers, 2 different sizes of fly's and tree huggers to choose from, and there still offering free snake skins with your purchase, i liked mine so much I bought the wife one, the asym design gives you a dedicated foot box and a shoulder box on an angle.
    https://hennessyhammock.com/

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    At one time, maybe still, if you bought directly from Hennessy, you could substitute the tarp and just pay the retail difference. For example, instead of the asymmetrical - just barely covers it - standard tarp, you could pay the difference between it and the "workhorse" - the Hennessy Hex and get the Hex. It's not as fancy as what other vendors offer - but it does the job.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Hennessy/ Woods
    Insulation
    Hennessy DB
    Suspension
    Hennessy
    You can still substitute rain fly's, I do like its a all in one system ready to hang, literally the day I got it I pulled it out was hanging 20min later ... lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast