Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you aren't an ultra lite backpacker you should put a Warbonnet Ridgerunner on your to try list as well. Any of the cottage vendor hammocks are going to be reasonably comfortable and well built so you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by peterock68 View Post
    If I were your size I'd go with the Dutchwaregear Chameleon for the quality and price. But I'm not, so I had to go with the more expensive Warbonnet. I do love my Blackbird XLC double but I also like saving money. Big people always have to pay more for some things. Cannot go wrong with either vendor. I wish Dutch would release a hammock for big fellers. If he did I'd give it a go.
    The chameleon is bigger than an xlc. Just order a wide and it’s quite a bit roomier than an xlc. It’s a foot wider than what you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys thanks so much for all the advice. All the great feedback is much appreciated!

I really wanted to go to Hangcon but wasn't able to make it.

I thought about a seperator bugnet but figured one of the better hammocks like a warbonnet or chameleon would provide other benefits (more comfort?), more inside storage, more roomy inside, etc.....

Does anyone have input on the Clark hammocks (I'm guessing that they will be able to be purchased again soon)?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by RossinFL View Post
    Guys thanks so much for all the advice. All the great feedback is much appreciated!

I really wanted to go to Hangcon but wasn't able to make it.

I thought about a seperator bugnet but figured one of the better hammocks like a warbonnet or chameleon would provide other benefits (more comfort?), more inside storage, more roomy inside, etc.....
    Both of those would be a good choice. The Dutch has a wide option, or whatever width you want actually, for their hammocks. Tons of weather, storage, and style options. I have a wide chameleon double layer. It is my go to rig. I camp In the glades a bunch. The bugs aren’t an issue in that hammock. I’m in Sarasota if you’d like to check it out before you buy a rig.

Sounds like the Chameleon is quite popular. If I go with a new hammock, I will definitely check out the Chameleon and of course the Warbonnet.

Dont forget the Dream Hammock Raven. Get the double Layer and Bugnet.
    Shug has a great video on his.
    FWIW, I love mine. Super simple set up. Great company.

Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    Dont forget the Dream Hammock Raven. Get the double Layer and Bugnet.
    Shug has a great video on his.
    FWIW, I love mine. Super simple set up. Great company.
    Ok. I will include that one as well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post
    Both of those would be a good choice. The Dutch has a wide option, or whatever width you want actually, for their hammocks. Tons of weather, storage, and style options. I have a wide chameleon double layer. It is my go to rig. I camp In the glades a bunch. The bugs aren’t an issue in that hammock. I’m in Sarasota if you’d like to check it out before you buy a rig.

Hey Saltfly, I didn't see your message last night. It must've come in while I was responding to everything before that. I would really like to see the chameleon as I am definitely giving it strong consideration. if it handles the bugs in the glades it will definitely handle anything the skeeters in the Sarasota area. Let me know what is convenient for you as far as checking it out....

Thanks again

Guys, I used the Eno with a costco down throw and a fleece blanket over the weekend. It got down to 45 degrees. I was freaking cold! So that makes me think that I need an underquilt and also wonder what hammock (raven, chameleon, blackbird, ridgerunner) has the best under/over quilt system? Is there any difference between the 4? Also is any of the 4 better for side sleepers?
    Last edited by RossinFL; 01-27-2020 at 20:35.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Yeah anything under 70F and I'm using an underquilt. Even above 70F, I still use the underquilt.

WB has their own line of quilts that match up with their hammocks (Yeti/Wooki for the BB and Lynx for the RR). I think most of the vendors will work with WB, they just use a different method to hang them. The other thing about the Yeti/Wooki is that they are directional lay, while most other underquilts don't have that restriction. So, if you're not sure what position you prefer, maybe those aren't on the list for a first underquilt.

I've used my Phoenix on my Half Zipped and the WB Eldorado. I wish the Eldorado had pack hooks so the UQ suspension would stay in place. The Chameleon has them and pretty sure the Raven has them (at least as an option to add them).

As far as which is the best top/underquilt system? That depends on what you're looking for. If you're just trying to get started and figure things out, I'd focus on cost over weight. You did say in OP that you weren't an ultralight minimalist, so maybe look at the HG econ line in the 30F or 40F range. Good quality and inexpensive (comparatively), even more so if you can catch them on a % off sale. I think at one point they had thrown in free shipping with 15% or 20% off on in stock quilts.

I've found side sleeping in a gathered end is kinda dicey. I think that's one of the draws for a bridge hammock like the RR.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast