Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hammock recommendation

I've been a long tme lurker on this forum but haven't posted much. For years and years I've used a basic eno hammock without a bugnet. It's always been plenty comfortable but last time out, the lack of a bugnet was a bad thing.... mosquitos in FL. So this leads me to wanting to get a hammock with bugnet. Years back I always wanted to get a Clark Hammock. I realize they went out of business and are apparently getting back in but the hammocks aren't availible now. Lately I've been looking at the Warbonnet Hammocks too, including the XLC. So I've figured I would come on here and ask for recommendations. Any info/tips are appreciated!

Helpful info
    I'm about 5'9" and sleep warm. I definitely want a bug net. It does not need to hold more than one person. It doesn't need to be ultralight weight or minimalist. I'm in FL so good circulation/air flow is good. The ability to set it up on the ground as a tent sounds nice but I don't know what if anything I would be giving up by going with what seems like a compromise (but I'm not sure about that).

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Too bad you missed out on Hangcon over the weekend...you could've gotten look at many different hammocks.

I've got an Eldorado, which is the XLC body with a bugnet minus the shelf. Pretty comfy but if I don't hang it just right I get a bit of calf ridge. Also lacks some conveniences (no pack hooks or D-rings to hook on things). My 3/4 underquilt sometimes comes off my shoulder, but even without packhooks it does stay in place pretty well. Internal storage is limited to what you can attach to the ridgeline or using the XLC shelf.

I've got a Dutchware Half-Zipped, which is similar to the Chameleon but the bug net isn't removable (zipped on one side). Very comfy. The pack hooks help with keeping my 3/4 underquilt in place, so I don't have issues with the it popping off my left shoulder. I think some of the Chameleon add ons can be used with the Half zipped, but I just use a ridgeline organizer and the peak loft.

Setting up on the ground ain't gonna happen for me, but I'm sure it can be done. But considering the amount of trees we got here in FL, it hasn't been an issue.

However, if you find the Eno comfy why not just get a bugnet for it? Something like a bottom entry that will fit it (I think Eno's are 9 footers)?

I upgraded to a Chameleon last year and love it! Very comfortable, and I love the modularity.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ch...chameleon-body

This is mine with a modified Liquify Pumpkin print, but prints are optional if that's not your thing. I have it here with the top cover, but it has a bugnet as well. You just zip off the top cover and zip on the bugnet.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Unless your absolutely itching to get a whole new system, You can always add a bugnet. There are many 360* bugnets for netless hammocks. Fronkey style, bottom entry, side entry, etc. One advantage of the separate bugnet is it also protects you from bites through the bottom fabric.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly Silpoly
    Insulation
    JRB top and bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If I were your size I'd go with the Dutchwaregear Chameleon for the quality and price. But I'm not, so I had to go with the more expensive Warbonnet. I do love my Blackbird XLC double but I also like saving money. Big people always have to pay more for some things. Cannot go wrong with either vendor. I wish Dutch would release a hammock for big fellers. If he did I'd give it a go.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I would agree that you could buy or sew a bugnet, and then go to a hang to try out hammocks to help you decide. My go to at this point is either my XLC Blackbird, or my diy 12' 1.7 Mountain XL. Also, I would suggest considering Simply light designs. He makes a synthetic insulated underquilt protector that may be good for humid Florida weather, and would eliminate any messing around with your underquilt. I bet he would also make sure it fits perfect with one of his netted hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The Blackbird is a classic. Hard to beat IMO. I'm 5'9 and do well with the standard 10'. A bonus is always being surprised at all the "extra space" under the tarp. It does make a difference, but don't trade that for comfort. An 11' hammock will fit under the same tarp just fine. I had some calf ridge issues being new to hanging at first, but quickly solved that.

I love the shelf and simplicity even though it's more than just a basic gathered end hammock.

Trail Lair from Simply Light Designs, made by speedy Jared. I'm on my second one and it's perfect for keeping the bugs away.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 11'
    Tarp
    Adventuridge 12'
    Insulation
    Chill Gorilla UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    The ridge outdoor gear hammock on Amazon is what I use. I must say I absolutely love it. Also their customer service is wonderful. It’s at a great price point too. You might also look at chill gorilla on amazon for other cheap but high quality hammock gear. I am only a bit taller than you. One thing about the ridge outdoor gear hammock. It’s a little bit unclear on the page, but you want to make sure you get the one with the ridge line, as the other variation is not the greatest for camping. I do not own a war bonnet, Dutchware hammock, etc so it’s not a totally fair comparison, but from seeing my scoutmaster’s xlc and his comments on my hammock, it is quite comparable even at the much lower price.
    This is beginning to sound like a paid promotion or something lol. It’s just my two cents and I really love the companies that I mentioned. Hope I helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.”
    -John Muir

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 11'
    Tarp
    Adventuridge 12'
    Insulation
    Chill Gorilla UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Also, unless you have a double layer hammock or are using something else like an underquilt beneath you (I am assuming you wouldn’t in Florida?), the misquotes usually can bite you through the fabric beneath you. I would recommend a treatment like permethrin the keep the little bloodsuckers off of you. This problem is not present in 360* bug nets. Just another thing to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.”
    -John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast