Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    If I measure the old one, should I add maybe subtract a half inch? Or did the hammock material likely also stretch, negating the whole issue?
    So you're just replacing an existing SRL with a new one in zing-it? I thought you were looking into one for a new DIY hammock. If it's just a replacement then it would depend on what the current SRL is done in. Ie., how big is it and how much stretch is in the existing? If it's comparable in size and type to zing-it then you should be fine to just measure it out 1:1. If it's heavier cordage but the same material then you might need to subtract a bit off your zing-it SRL to compensate for a bit more stretch... or the opposite might be true if the existing SRL has more stretch to it than zing-it. KWIM?

If you're talking a new DIY then there would be a number of factors to consider since the materials and measurments wouldn't likely be exactly the same as any of your existing hammocks. For the "commercial" hammocks they are pretty much "dialed in" and can get away with a fixed SRL because the materials, measurements, cordage diameters and type are all identical. Change any one of those factors though and some adjustments might be necessary.

That's why I suggested an adjustable SRL to start with since it's likely a little tweaking an inch or three or more one way or the other might be necessary on a DIY project because any one or more factors might yet be unknown and not identically comparable to any existing hammack you might own.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I think I'll just use the existing fixed line since that hammock is now scrapped. Like I said, if it worked on all those other hammocks with various materials, it should be fine on this one. I'm cutting it the same size and it's not some crazy different material.

But still glad I learned to splice.

Like I said, if it worked on all those other hammocks with various materials
    I read where you've had 10 different hammocks in 8 years and they all worked with a fixed line, but must have "completely" missed the fact it was the same fixed SRL on all 10 hammocks.

What "I" was saying was that manufacturer "X" with hammock "Y" in material "B" can have a fixed SRL out of "C" type cordage in "D" diameter of "Z" inches that's been perfectly dialed in.... for "that" hammock. That holds true for just about any commerically produced hammock, but doesn't necessarily mean they all have the same length SRL and aren't necessarily interchangeable.

When you're starting from scratch on a DIY there is no set rule of thumb that's going to give you the perfect SRL sag right out-of-the-box. Just like Cmoulder going back and re-doing one of his.

That said, different people have different levels of comfort tolerances. Especially when you're young and agile your body is much more forgiving even when the sag/lay may not be absolutely ideal.

Bottom line is it's largely subjective and there's no harm no foul to hang your own hang.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    None of the hammocks I had were anything special. Just the "83% rule" on ridgeline length. Either lash-it or amsteel. I'm sure I won't be reinventing the wheel by sticking with that.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    None of the hammocks I had were anything special. Just the "83% rule" on ridgeline length. Either lash-it or amsteel. I'm sure I won't be reinventing the wheel by sticking with that.
    No worries, and I do realize that in the vast majority of cases a difference of 1% one way or the other isn't going to be noticeable.

Last fall I bought a "plain jane" netless hammock in Hyper D 1.6 and put an adjustable SRL (amsteel) on it just to play around with.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    Learning to splice has been very enjoyable for me but like others I’ve run out of things I need to splice. Guess I’ll have to make sure I have two or three of everything.

I think I'll just use the existing fixed line since that hammock is now scrapped. Like I said, if it worked on all those other hammocks with various materials, it should be fine on this one. I'm cutting it the same size and it's not some crazy different material.

But still glad I learned to splice.
    You could just stretch the zing-it before you cut it to lenght and splice it. No need for mathematics.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Don't forget the issue of the bury making the overall length shorter, just because of the "fattening" of the line when something is shoved inside it. Somewhere there are suggestions about the % of "loss" for the bury in different lines.... sorry, don't have the link right now...

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Somewhere there are suggestions about the % of "loss" for the bury in different lines....
    ~25%. If you're doing a locked brummel, you also want to account for that as well in your length loss calc.. 3/4"-1".

I doubt it's SOP, but I'm not a math fan. On fixed length RL's I don't calculate and cut line. I usually make a reference mark 2 or 3 feet up one end of the line, do up (splice) that end, then measuring from the finished end to the reference line will give me my "length consumption" in one nice, neat, measurement. Starting at the end of the finished line I measure out my desired length, add on the "length consumption" measurement, then cut. Using the finished end as a template I just replicate it on the other end and usually gives me some extremely precise overall lengths.

Images
    It's kinda funny though... one can obsess over how much loss there will be due to the bury or making a locked brummel... and then once you use the SRL a few times, the fibers straighten out and the whole thing "stretches" by some seemingly unpredictable amount.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123