Chameleon Camo
    Tarp
    Cuban Fiber doors
    Insulation
    EE 0% top and bott
    Suspension
    Beatle buckle

Hammock Camping

I'm very new to hammock camping. Just bought the chameleon set with dyneema door tarp and EE quilts 0% down. (very expensive system) BUT I LOVE IT!
    I'm just wondering with February and March coming will I be warm with the top and bottom quilts or do I need to buy a 40% down for extra warmth when at camp? Experts please advise

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Cityboycamper View Post
    I'm very new to hammock camping. Just bought the chameleon set with dyneema door tarp and EE quilts 0% down. (very expensive system) BUT I LOVE IT!
    I'm just wondering with February and March coming will I be warm with the top and bottom quilts or do I need to buy a 40% down for extra warmth when at camp? Experts please advise
    What is the temp rating on the quilts

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    I think OP meant "O*" not 0%

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    I think OP meant "O*" not 0%

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    That makes sense, at 0° I would think that as long as you are camping above 0, you will be fine. May want to pitch the tarp low to prevent wind as much as possible, and if needed throw on an UQ protector!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Have you picked a destination yet? I assume Central Park is not an option to test your system. If you plan a trip north I recommend checking mountain-forecast.com first. They show temperatures at different elevation levels and you can plan around that. Be safe and have fun.
    If you think you are too small or too unimportant to make a change try
    sleeping in a room with a mosquito.

Dalai Lama.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    You should be fine.

However, backpacking/hanging/camping in the winter involves a lot more than just buying the gear and heading out, and hanging adds another layer of complexity that can be daunting, especially for a new hammocker trying to rig up hammock and tarp at 15°F in a 20mph breeze.

But maybe you already have a lot of experience camping on the ground/snow in the winter. I'm not "judging the book by the cover" here because I lived in Manhattan for many years and was into mountaineering and did many extended trips in very cold (-20 to -30°F) and nasty weather, and maybe you are the same or similar.

There's a good number of folks in the NY/LI/Westchester area who do winter backpacking/hanging. If you come up this way some time, there are quite a few easy in/out venues in Harriman State Park that are excellent for learning the black arts of the white world. I'm there quite a bit, and will be today and tonight, probably ending up at Brien Memorial Shelter which is an easy 1.4 mile walk from the Silvermine Lake parking area. My typical "overnight quickie" format is to do a long-ish day hike and end up someplace like Brien or Stockbridge (and there are many others!) that offers a nice camping spot and a short walk out the following morning. Let me know if you're interested in something like this.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Many people find a 10 degree cushion to be about right (sleep in gear rated 10 degrees above expected temperatures. But here's the deal. unlike making a cake that requires a table spoon of "X" and knowing when you supply "X" in that amount you are all set - with camping you need your own experience it because people are different and all those rating numbers should be considered more as suggestions.

That means just trying out what you have now - preferably in a situation where you can find a better shelter if there's a problem - like camping in your back yard or not far from a bailout point.

After one night you will know more about your gear than any spec rating. If you were cold, was it on top or from the bottom; each has its solutions. If you weren't cold, then you know you are good at whatever temperature it was that night and can go forward from there.

Looks like you are from NY - that's a long way from Oregon so I don't know anything about Feb/March there. But even if I were familiar with the east coast, climate seems to be changing enough that each season is a new learning experience.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Many people find a 10 degree cushion to be about right (sleep in gear rated 10 degrees above expected temperatures.
    I know what you meant, but to clarify since the OP has proclaimed himself to be new to hammock camping, what you meant to say is sleep in gear rated 10° BELOW the expected temperatures.

Example: with the OP's 0° quilts, the 10° safety factor means he should be fine for forecasts with a low of 10°. This takes into account some variability and unpredictability in the weather forecast, not to mention a host of other variables. Many people are fine when they sleep in temps at or even below their quilts' ratings, but if you head out for an evening with a forecast low of 0°, how warm will you be if the actual temp dips to -8°? Or what if you don't get your underquilt hung just right? Those are a couple of examples where the 10° buffer can be your friend.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB
    I agree with Cmoulder about Harriman. I go there often with friends and recently some new sites called “Downtomeet”. Check out the hammock backpacking group. I’m on there and many have helped me as a newbi hanger. This past weekend I went with friends to Hunter mtn John Rob lean to. It was 0f Friday night. I was ground sleeping in lean to with friend. Others were hanging. Saturday came the winds really bad. Friends dynenna tarp exploded! Other guy had a ground stake snap! Crap happens 2 bailed for safety and 3 of us stayed in bivy’s and sleeping bags for about 14 hours! Can’t duplicate that in my backyard, but previous experience had taught me many lessons. My 10 essentials have doubled! Check out some of those Downtomeet camping survival and hammocking groups. Knish

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Hammock Camping

To the OP... I'll second and third the suggestion to make a trip out to Harriman. We are there often (though January has been a hard month for me as far as getting out).. Easy hike out in the morning gives you a bail out plan should things go sideways. Going with someone else also give you a back-up.

cmoulder was out in Harriman last evening and he reported temps in the teens with a stiff breeze. Your 0F quilts *should* be fine, but we all sleep different.. some hotter sleepers than others.

Knish.. who lost their tarp?? (Just spoke to joe... got ask the details)
    Last edited by MikekiM; 01-21-2020 at 09:58.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast