Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My vertigo is an issue

So I decided to try sleeping in the new ridge runner last night in my basement. I gave up and went to bed after two and a half hours due to an existing vertigo problem I have had for years. I was hoping it would not present itself while hanging from the hammock. But it did.
    I have BPPV. Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. Basically there is a problem somewheres between the eyes and the inner ears where what I see isn't exactly what I feel. The rocking motion just doesn't work with me. And it felt much worse once I got back onto solid ground. I thought for a minute I was going to be sick. I am not sure what to do. I was told that taking dramamine could make the symptoms worse. I have probably another week or so before George from LocoLibre starts making my $700 worth of top and bottom quilts so I am not sure if I need to cancel it and give up hammocking. That might mean the end of my camping career because I just can't get comfortable on the ground anymore. So has anybody dealt with this before? I searched the forum and did find some threads dealing with it sort of but wanted to ask it now to see if any of the newer members can chime in.
    thnx
    Into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by ParaJosh View Post
    So I decided to try sleeping in the new ridge runner last night in my basement. I gave up and went to bed after two and a half hours due to an existing vertigo problem I have had for years. I was hoping it would not present itself while hanging from the hammock. But it did.
    I have BPPV. Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. Basically there is a problem somewheres between the eyes and the inner ears where what I see isn't exactly what I feel. The rocking motion just doesn't work with me. And it felt much worse once I got back onto solid ground. I thought for a minute I was going to be sick. I am not sure what to do. I was told that taking dramamine could make the symptoms worse. I have probably another week or so before George from LocoLibre starts making my $700 worth of top and bottom quilts so I am not sure if I need to cancel it and give up hammocking. That might mean the end of my camping career because I just can't get comfortable on the ground anymore. So has anybody dealt with this before? I searched the forum and did find some threads dealing with it sort of but wanted to ask it now to see if any of the newer members can chime in.
    thnx
    Have you tried using tie outs to keep the hammock from swaying?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Thats going to be my next move. And also going to have to go back to physical therapy treatment for it. Bunch of weird eye exercises and such. I'm determined to make this work.

Have you tried sea bands? ...or whiskey?

But I was serious about the sea bands. Scopolamine patches might also be an option, but I'm sure you've been presented with that option by your Dr. before.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I would ask them to hold off on the quilts just in case!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    Have you tried sea bands? ...or whiskey?

But I was serious about the sea bands. Scopolamine patches might also be an option, but I'm sure you've been presented with that option by your Dr. before.
    I will look into the sea bands. Also my Dr. never has mentioned Scopolamine patches. I'll have to ask about it. As far as whiskey goes I don't drink anymore unfortunately. I was just hanging in the basement and using some eye exercises. I closed my eyes and when the hammock would sway one way I would move my eyes to the other. It seemed to help. Once the hammock stopped most of the swaying it felt much better. I'd really hate to put a hold on the quilts. We shall see I guess

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Why even try a hammock if you have vertigo this bad? Are you on prescription meds for this? If sleeping in a hammock made me sick I'd personally give up as it's simply not worth it. Do you feel this way in a tent?

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Why even try a hammock if you have vertigo this bad? Are you on prescription meds for this? If sleeping in a hammock made me sick I'd personally give up as it's simply not worth it. Do you feel this way in a tent?
    This vertigo problem is only a few years old for me. I used to sleep in my Hennessy hammock without a problem. And for the record I don't get the vertigo during normal activity. Mostly being a passenger in a car. I tried it again yesterday and I made it work and fell asleep for an hour. I actually didn't feel the vertigo until I got back on to solid ground. I don't get it in a tent but just cannot get comfy on the ground anymore. And there is no medication you can take for bppv. It has to be dealt with by using physical therapy.

I am also on blood pressure medication and anti depressants and have been told that they could be making my problem worse. I am going to look into making some changes. When I am determined I usually let nothing stand in my way!

So I’m a PT who specializes in Vestibular Rehab and what you’re describing doesn’t sound like BPPV. It sounds like mal de debarquement.

https://vestibular.org/mal-de-debarquement

BPPV is typically position dependent and a true sense of rotation that occurs with looking up, down, or rolling over in bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast