Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I would see if you can get things going in the basement first with the following:

Easy one is what I do for my wife- I have a whoopee sling hanging from the rafter that she can reach out and grab after entry. This allows her to control the swing and to steady/stop it once she is situated. She doesn't have a debilitating form of this but she does have some vertigo issues.

Worth a small thought- she seems to be okay with a bit more swing in a gathered end for some reason. I suspect it may be the wall of fabric on one side vs the open view of the bridge.

Slightly harder one-
    You can attach one side of the bridge (probably head side) to two fixed points on your wall rather than one. Two eye-bolts or similar at a few inches narrower than the spreader bar. By removing one of the Apex points (where the dogbones meet) you will introduce much more stability.

IF these solutions prove good ones and resolve the issues (or in combo with other treatments) then one thing that some bridge users do is keep a trekking pole handy.
    Most bridges swing more/longer than other hammocks. For many this is a plus, for some it is not. Either way... the trick works for either group.
    If you get a piece of shock cord for camp you can loop it onto your trekking pole grip and run it up to your ridgeline or a tie out point on the bridge that is convenient so you don't drop it.

As you get in, use the trekking pole to stabilize the bridge so it doesn't swing. Once you're 'in' you can jamb the tip of the pole into the ground and then lay it easy to hand with the shock cord keeper. If you need to change positions in the night or you feel too much swing you just reach over and use the pole to 'ground you' back to steady. In your case- perhaps even the psychological/physical contact with the solid ground may help. A rubber tip may be all you need to try this in the basement too.

For some of my Big Guy customers with bad knees or hips; this can be a real help for getting in and out as well so nothing gets away from them and twists or torques a joint while they enter/exit.

Good Luck!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest Sleep System
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I would see if you can get things going in the basement first with the following:

Easy one is what I do for my wife- I have a whoopee sling hanging from the rafter that she can reach out and grab after entry. This allows her to control the swing and to steady/stop it once she is situated. She doesn't have a debilitating form of this but she does have some vertigo issues.

Worth a small thought- she seems to be okay with a bit more swing in a gathered end for some reason. I suspect it may be the wall of fabric on one side vs the open view of the bridge.

Slightly harder one-
    You can attach one side of the bridge (probably head side) to two fixed points on your wall rather than one. Two eye-bolts or similar at a few inches narrower than the spreader bar. By removing one of the Apex points (where the dogbones meet) you will introduce much more stability.

IF these solutions prove good ones and resolve the issues (or in combo with other treatments) then one thing that some bridge users do is keep a trekking pole handy.
    Most bridges swing more/longer than other hammocks. For many this is a plus, for some it is not. Either way... the trick works for either group.
    If you get a piece of shock cord for camp you can loop it onto your trekking pole grip and run it up to your ridgeline or a tie out point on the bridge that is convenient so you don't drop it.

As you get in, use the trekking pole to stabilize the bridge so it doesn't swing. Once you're 'in' you can jamb the tip of the pole into the ground and then lay it easy to hand with the shock cord keeper. If you need to change positions in the night or you feel too much swing you just reach over and use the pole to 'ground you' back to steady. In your case- perhaps even the psychological/physical contact with the solid ground may help. A rubber tip may be all you need to try this in the basement too.

For some of my Big Guy customers with bad knees or hips; this can be a real help for getting in and out as well so nothing gets away from them and twists or torques a joint while they enter/exit.

Good Luck!
    The trekking pole trick as outlined above works for me. I have Ménière’s, so I feel your apprehension about hammocking with vertigo! By keeping the sway to a minimum until I get used to it, I’ve done fine in an ENO doublenest. I do better with the ‘cocooning’ (as someone else pointed out) of a gathered-end hammock. I also have to be careful not to adjust positions too fast. Hang in there! (Pun intended)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MinnetonkaBoater View Post
    First off, sorry you have to go through this, what a pain.

I would suggest two things. Yes the RR will sway, but maybe if you used a small diameter shockcord it would dampen or zero it out. I too had a difficult time in a tent, and had to work to find my combination. I use a 1/2 length Sea to Summit foam pad as a base, and a Sea to Summit Comfort Plus pad on that. I also bring a couple of inflatable pillows that I blow up to different levels, and even a stuff sack with my puffies inside. The S2S Comfort Plus has 2 sides that inflate. One I inflate somewhat firm, and the other soft. I balance it out so that on my side my hip just barely bottoms out on the foam pad. The foam pad gives me the insulation needed. I need comfy to be in a tent, but above treeline it's the best.

In my RR I use a pad as well, no underquilt in the summer, the pad gives it a very stable flat lay. The big difference between us is I love the sway. Maybe even just one shock cord will do the trick to hold it in place. I don't know that I would go solid cord, could pull funny.
    Thanks for understanding. I am going to do the shock cord trick and see if it helps. Once the initial swaying calms down it isn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

Slightly harder one-

Good Luck!
    Thanks! I have it set up in the basement right now and will be experimenting with some of your ideas. Also I do believe I remember my Hennessy not swaying as much or as long. I suspect once I get some therapy it wont be as much as issue as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Backdraft View Post
    The trekking pole trick as outlined above works for me. I have Ménière’s, so I feel your apprehension about hammocking with vertigo! By keeping the sway to a minimum until I get used to it, I’ve done fine in an ENO doublenest. I do better with the ‘cocooning’ (as someone else pointed out) of a gathered-end hammock. I also have to be careful not to adjust positions too fast. Hang in there! (Pun intended)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Once I get this figured out I may sew a gathered end to just mess about with it. I've mentioned before that I am not giving up on this. Thanks!
    Into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123