Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    This could be the dumbest question ever asked on HF but here goes.WHAT would happen if your eyes were closed? Regardless of what malady you have I would think the eyes,brain,inner ear have to get unmatched cues of some sort so if your eyes stay closed in a car,hammock,boat,whatever,then do you still get competing sensations of movement?

Quote Originally Posted by bbanker View Post
    So I’m a PT who specializes in Vestibular Rehab and what you’re describing doesn’t sound like BPPV. It sounds like mal de debarquement.

https://vestibular.org/mal-de-debarquement

BPPV is typically position dependent and a true sense of rotation that occurs with looking up, down, or rolling over in bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do get that as well. Sometimes just turning my head fast enough will do it. Could I have both? Either way it has been mostly dormant for the past year or so until the past month. Which coincidentally is when I started the blood pressure meds which after talking to the doc today does have vertigo as reported side effects so we are switching it up. Also scrolling my phone does it oddly enough. Either way thanks for the input. We are going to make this work!!
    Into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    This could be the dumbest question ever asked on HF but here goes.WHAT would happen if your eyes were closed? Regardless of what malady you have I would think the eyes,brain,inner ear have to get unmatched cues of some sort so if your eyes stay closed in a car,hammock,boat,whatever,then do you still get competing sensations of movement?
    Not a dumb question at all. When I close my eyes in the hammock it seems like it is rocking more than it is. In the car it helps to keep my eyes open and looking straight ahead. Thanks for the input. I am not giving up. I never will!

Quote Originally Posted by ParaJosh View Post
    I do get that as well. Sometimes just turning my head fast enough will do it. Could I have both? Either way it has been mostly dormant for the past year or so until the past month. Which coincidentally is when I started the blood pressure meds which after talking to the doc today does have vertigo as reported side effects so we are switching it up. Also scrolling my phone does it oddly enough. Either way thanks for the input. We are going to make this work!!
    Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by bbanker View Post
    Where are you located?

Sun Prairie Wisconsin. 15 minutes northeast of Madison

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Thats going to be my next move. And also going to have to go back to physical therapy treatment for it. Bunch of weird eye exercises and such. I'm determined to make this work.
    Definitely go back to PT for it, but make sure they clear you for all the possibilities of where your bppv could be coming from (all the different canals etc.) You actually can have two different problem areas at once, so they may treat one aspect of it but you still have a problem because there is still a different canal being impacted). There are also exercises you can do that help to habituate yourself to the movements that cause the problem. I would go to a PT that has good training in vestibular issues for this. Hope it all works out for you. (PS, I am a PT)

Quote Originally Posted by tollermama View Post
    Definitely go back to PT for it, but make sure they clear you for all the possibilities of where your bppv could be coming from (all the different canals etc.) You actually can have two different problem areas at once, so they may treat one aspect of it but you still have a problem because there is still a different canal being impacted). There are also exercises you can do that help to habituate yourself to the movements that cause the problem. I would go to a PT that has good training in vestibular issues for this. Hope it all works out for you. (PS, I am a PT)
    Thanks. PT is definitely my course of action. I did it once when this first started a few years ago and I remember it helping.

Quote Originally Posted by tollermama View Post
    +1

Thanks. PT is definitely my course of action. I did it once when this first started a few years ago and I remember it helping.
    Make sure that the person you see is certified in Vestibular Rehab, and preferably has a Neurological Board Certification as well.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, WL XXL TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    First off, sorry you have to go through this, what a pain.

I would suggest two things. Yes the RR will sway, but maybe if you used a small diameter shockcord it would dampen or zero it out. I too had a difficult time in a tent, and had to work to find my combination. I use a 1/2 length Sea to Summit foam pad as a base, and a Sea to Summit Comfort Plus pad on that. I also bring a couple of inflatable pillows that I blow up to different levels, and even a stuff sack with my puffies inside. The S2S Comfort Plus has 2 sides that inflate. One I inflate somewhat firm, and the other soft. I balance it out so that on my side my hip just barely bottoms out on the foam pad. The foam pad gives me the insulation needed. I need comfy to be in a tent, but above treeline it's the best.

In my RR I use a pad as well, no underquilt in the summer, the pad gives it a very stable flat lay. The big difference between us is I love the sway. Maybe even just one shock cord will do the trick to hold it in place. I don't know that I would go solid cord, could pull funny.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast