WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis

The RR, Where’s the Magic?

I have a Ridge Runner hanging in the house, have rested in it, and attempted to sleep overnight. I just don’t find the sweet spot as I do with the WBBB. I feel rather confined, and limited in my ability to get comfortable on my side.

So I think I must be doing something wrong, perhaps with the hang, although it follows WB’s recommendations. Anybody have any hacks or suggestions? I feel like I’m close to getting it right, but missing the mark.

Thank you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly
    For me when first tried mine I couldn’t get comfortable to sleep on my side as well. Tried a pad I had from when I slept on the ground in a tent. Slept great with a pad. Now I can sleep pretty well in between my back and side without a pad. Unfortunately I’m not able to sleep well on my back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I felt cramped and still do. I use a klymit luxe pad and it’s super comfy no matter how ya lay. But it kicks you up closer to the net. So it’s less cramped from below, but more cramped from above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    There’s not really any magic. Finding a comfy hammock, like hiking shoes, is a very personal thing. What works well for one person might not work as well for another. I’ve tried the XLC in two iterations and the Eldorado and opposite of you I can’t get comfy in those. Personally I do like the RR better because it has no calf ridge. Yes, it is a bit more confining than a BB or XLC, and I find I do have a tiny bit of shoulder squeeze with the RR, but I hate calf ridge more than shoulder squeeze so that’s my trade off.

Using a pad rather than an underquilt will open it up more (but you gotta use at least a 25” wide pad). Also you have to hang it a bit tighter (25° angle vs the 30-35° for a GE), which if you followed Warbonnet’s instructions you probably did.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yep I like Chevy or I like Ford. To each their own. If you do not like it sell it as they tend to sell quickly.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    If I can’t get that ahhhh feeling with a bit more fiddling, then I might sell it. Thanks for that prompt, I’d thought about that, but hate to let a perfectly good hammock go. Still not ruling out user error. I’ll take it outside to my fav trees (again), and have my husband double check everything.

I tried a 20” pad then switched to the UQ. I’ll now try a 25” pad, it’d be great if that works!

This is an example of the value of a hammock hang, trying out different makes and models of hammocks, or having the pros critique your hang method. The forum is the next best thing, thanks all for your info!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

The RR, Where’s the Magic?

I didn’t take to the RR - my sleeping style has me side sleeping with my legs up sometimes and I couldn’t get that to work comfortably in the RR.

I returned mine. Might be an option for you if you bought a new one and your further tests don’t work out.

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/sh...returns/<br />

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    There’s not really any magic. Finding a comfy hammock, like hiking shoes, is a very personal thing. What works well for one person might not work as well for another. I’ve tried the XLC in two iterations and the Eldorado and opposite of you I can’t get comfy in those. Personally I do like the RR better because it has no calf ridge. Yes, it is a bit more confining than a BB or XLC, and I find I do have a tiny bit of shoulder squeeze with the RR, but I hate calf ridge more than shoulder squeeze so that’s my trade off.

Using a pad rather than an underquilt will open it up more (but you gotta use at least a 25” wide pad). Also you have to hang it a bit tighter (25° angle vs the 30-35° for a GE), which if you followed Warbonnet’s instructions you probably did.
    I so much agree about the personal pref thing. Especially when changing from gathered to bridge- or even just from one gathered to another gathered- and changing what you have grown used to. See, I can't even comprehend feeling confined or squeezed in the RR at least when on my back, and I much prefer it over all to the WBBB. But, that may be because I began with the original JRB BMBH, which is significantly less roomy in the shoulders than the WBRR or even the BMBH UL and definitely the newest James River, which is even more UL. I quickly returned my first one due to so called "shoulder squeeze" and instability. But after I returned it, and I read some discussions by the Jacks on the subject, I started having second thoughts on the return and wondered if I had given it a fair trial. Particularly as I kept thinking about a couple of things I just loved about it: zero calf ridge or knee extension EVERY time being the most obvious. Relatively way more comfort with a pad being next on the list(I had no under quilts then, so my only way to insulate was with a 20" pad.) So lo and behold, after a couple of months went by I found myself getting another one.

And lo and behold, after some additional experimenting, I discovered that- for me anyway- what the Jacks said was true: there was not really any "squeeze" going on. The hammock had a fixed curve shape, and if I lay flat on my back(which I rarely ever did any way), my shoulders would be forced into a curve, similar to the curve they assume if I cross my arms over my chest while sitting in my recliner. Thus if I cross my arms something like this:
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=photos+of+...EdSullivan.jpg Hence:

1:This put a curve in my shoulders which left them just barely in contact with the sides of the hammock. In contact, but certainly no actual squeeze.And guess what: with or without supposed squeeze, this was very comfortable, especially with a nice pillow! And just as I had first noticed, never any calf ridge, knee extension, or twist in my side when side sleeping. Thus, squeeze or no squeeze, it was still over all about my most comfy hammock And none of that trial and error to find a perfect pitch and sweet spot. Just pull it until the net was somewhat tight, then back off a bit, done, every time. Also,

2: If I didn't want to be bothered with crossed arms, I quickly discovered what would become my fav position anyway: move from flat on my back, to just an inch or two or four" closer to one side, and lean back into the side of the hammock. This was like a semi side sleep position, with my back well supported by the deep sides of the hammock. I found this very comfy. And shoulder squeeze was impossible, since only one shoulder(the down side shoulder) was actually in contact with the hammock. The other one was in contact with the air and/or a TQ. Impossible for the hammock to squeeze my shoulders. And finally,

3: side sleeping, with no twist in my side, and one shoulder facing the stars. There were some fetal issues with lack of room for my knees, but this was helped by scooting down a bit towards the foot, which put my knees in a roomier area.

So, keep in mind all of the above was with the ORIGINAL JRB bridge. The UL, being not as deep, gave me more shoulder room. And the WB, with it's much wider spreader bars, well, I have just never had any shoulder squeeze problems. It might be a bit tighter in the middle than the first 2 JRBs, and definitely tighter in the middle than the newest James River, so again, I might slip closer to the foot end for some extra knee room for fetal position(don't have to bother with the James River). But, either way, I never have trouble getting comfy in any of them, but sometimes they did take some time getting used to, a learning curve you might say.

One other thing: I realize some folks here think differently, but for myself, I just always found the JRB bridges easiest of all hammocks to insulate with either a full length(but careful, NOT TOO LONG) or partial UQ with foot pad. The JRB UQs would curve around the fixed curve of the bridge hammock and would always be in snug contact with any part of the hammock(except maybe near the top edge, which I was never in contact with anyway). I never had any gaps develop as I changed position during sleep. Hanging he jRB quilts on the prescribed places on the JRB hammocks, the fit was always perfect and gap free, nicely snugged to the hammock no matter what position I changed to. Just as there was no sweet spot with the perfect RL length required for the hammock, same for the UQ: there was no adjustment required, just hang the JRB UQ where JRB said to attach it on the hammock. Done. And if that wasn't enough, I felt like my TQs also worked better in that original, narrow, deep JRB. All of that tended to "funnel" the TQ down on me, with less chance to open up a gap along the sides during my sleep. Seemed to me, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Slack Packhiker View Post
    If I can’t get that ahhhh feeling with a bit more fiddling, then I might sell it. Thanks for that prompt, I’d thought about that, but hate to let a perfectly good hammock go. Still not ruling out user error. I’ll take it outside to my fav trees (again), and have my husband double check everything.

I tried a 20” pad then switched to the UQ. I’ll now try a 25” pad, it’d be great if that works!

This is an example of the value of a hammock hang, trying out different makes and models of hammocks, or having the pros critique your hang method. The forum is the next best thing, thanks all for your info!
    I have used a 25" wide TR Neoair All Season in both my JRBs and the WBRR. It for sure opens up the hammocks for me, and my shoulders are barely- if at all- touching the sides of the hammock.The only negative is it does raise the center of gravity a bit. Less noticeable if you don't have to inflate the pad all the way. But this can be very warm. It is also wind proof, far as I can tell.

Also, as for hacks: experiment with adequate sized pillows, and maybe scoot to the foot end a bit to increase room for knees when side sleeping. But, when the pad raises your center of gravity, it will also give you a lot more knee room.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-19-2020 at 16:43.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    Found the magic! It’s just different. The RR is currently my preferred lounging hammock for outside. Here’s what I’ve done to find the sweetness in the Ridge Runner.

1. Found the hang that works for me. It’s the recommended 25 degree strap angle, with the foot end a little bit higher than the head.
    2. Inserted a cheap self inflating air/foam pad. Not sure yet if that really helped, but I do like a pad inserted between the fabric layers.
    3. Quit fighting the darn thing. I kept trying to lay on the diagonal. This hammock was built for the banana lay.

What I really like:
    1. This thing has fantastic support. It is VERY well built. I feel secure.
    2. The built in pockets are roomy but streamlined, contributing to the minimalist clean look.
    3. The bug net stays away from the body, no ridge line necessary. That kinda tickles me.
    4. It’s super easy to hang.

The ability of the pad to stay in place, and there being no tie outs, decreases the futz factor, making the RR a good starter hammock.

Everybody’s comments has made this an enjoyable and informative thread. Thank you all!
    Last edited by Slack Packhiker; 05-18-2020 at 15:01.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light &amp; waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I could see the WBRR making a decent lounging hammock. It also hangs quite nicely, is easy to get in and out of, works well with either a pad or UQ. But, it wasn't to my liking as a backpacking/camping hammock and I too preferred the WBBB XLC, DH Sparrow, and the Hammocktent 90 degree, over the WBRR. As TrailSlug suggested I ended up passing it along to someone who could give it a good home, and subsequently financed another hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast