WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    I had a single layer RR for a short time. I'm wondering if I didn't give it a fair shake. I use an uq with my gathered ends, but if you want to mess with a pad, is the double layer RR better or just drop the pad on top?

Can you hang the RR in a 13' span? It seemed really long to me.
    You cannot hang a stock suspension RR in 13'. I shortened the four dog bones down and now the distance between the apex of the suspension triangles is slightly less than 12'. This fits under my 12' tarp and I can hang in a little over 12'.

Quote Originally Posted by WVwanderer View Post
    You cannot hang a stock suspension RR in 13'. I shortened the four dog bones down and now the distance between the apex of the suspension triangles is slightly less than 12'. This fits under my 12' tarp and I can hang in a little over 12'.
    Thank you, that was my experience as well. WB says 13 feet on the site, but I couldn't see how and that was one reason I gave up on it. They have been very helpful whenever I have talked to them, but it can be hard to get someone at times.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Zpacks Dyneema tar
    Insulation
    TQ-HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch susp
    I tried for a long time to use my WBRR without a pad and i always had some shoulder squeeze issues. There’s not as much room for a pad to get away from underneath you in the RR...using a ThermaRest pad in the double layer RR, i have slept very well. However now I am thinking of getting a new pad that is wider to fill the entire bottom area. So its basically a floating bed hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Crustyoveralls82 View Post
    I tried for a long time to use my WBRR without a pad and i always had some shoulder squeeze issues. There’s not as much room for a pad to get away from underneath you in the RR...using a ThermaRest pad in the double layer RR, i have slept very well. However now I am thinking of getting a new pad that is wider to fill the entire bottom area. So its basically a floating bed hahaha.

Make sure you slide as far toward the head end as possible to minimize the shoulder squeeze. You may have to raise your foot end to keep from sliding down during the night. I have very wide shoulders and find I get less squeeze in the RR than a gathered end hammock. Also if tighten up your suspension straps so that there is very little sag you will get less shoulder squeeze but at the price of the RR feeling a little more "tippy".

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    Thank you, that was my experience as well. WB says 13 feet on the site, but I couldn't see how and that was one reason I gave up on it. They have been very helpful whenever I have talked to them, but it can be hard to get someone at times.
    I've found the optimum distance is about 15'. For me that is about 5 paces. Farther than this and I get a lot of sag when I put my weight in the hammock. The farther apart the trees the higher I have to place the tree straps on the tree. I also added a ridgeline so that I get a more constant sag from one set up to another.

Hammock
    RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    I have a 30" wide Exped 7.5 pad that I wonder if it's too big for my RR at least regarding the "tippy" thing. I have a 24" pad in there now and it's OK but the pad does tend to move around a bit. The bigger pad would stay where I put it since it's a snug fit. Any thoughts

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I have a 30" wide Exped 7.5 pad that I wonder if it's too big for my RR at least regarding the "tippy" thing. I have a 24" pad in there now and it's OK but the pad does tend to move around a bit. The bigger pad would stay where I put it since it's a snug fit. Any thoughts
    I use a 30” klymit. It completely fills the space. Klymit now makes a 27” pad that would probably work great too. It’s called the static sl I’m pretty sure

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The RR I ordered during the Memorial Day sale arrived on Friday and I set it up yesterday for an afternoon nap. I'm usually a stomach sleeper, and was hoping that the RR would be the best way to do that in a hammock. I think I was wrong.

It's absolutely a beautifully made hammock and easy to hang, but there seems to be a lot of...let's call it "hip squeeze"? Laying on my back, it's a perfectly flat lay and my shoulders are fine, but the mid-section - where the fabric is narrowest - hugs my mid-section a bit more than I'm comfortable with. I'm 6' even and bounce between 220 and 230, so maybe pushing the limits of the hammock (it's a 30d double-layer)?

For reference, I hung it from my turtledog stand with a 15' ridge pole and the CLs at the apex of each end are practically clipped to the end of the ridge.

In any case, I'm going to try sleeping in it next weekend with an air pad to see if that helps. If not, it may be going back. That'd be a real shame because I love the color (True Blue) and got a great deal on it.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    The RR I ordered during the Memorial Day sale arrived on Friday and I set it up yesterday for an afternoon nap. I'm usually a stomach sleeper, and was hoping that the RR would be the best way to do that in a hammock. I think I was wrong.

It's absolutely a beautifully made hammock and easy to hang, but there seems to be a lot of...let's call it "hip squeeze"? Laying on my back, it's a perfectly flat lay and my shoulders are fine, but the mid-section - where the fabric is narrowest - hugs my mid-section a bit more than I'm comfortable with. I'm 6' even and bounce between 220 and 230, so maybe pushing the limits of the hammock (it's a 30d double-layer)?

For reference, I hung it from my turtledog stand with a 15' ridge pole and the CLs at the apex of each end are practically clipped to the end of the ridge.

In any case, I'm going to try sleeping in it next weekend with an air pad to see if that helps. If not, it may be going back. That'd be a real shame because I love the color (True Blue) and got a great deal on it.
    I found that when I used a thermarest pad the lay was even flatter but it makes the hammock feel a little more "tippier". I also found that a 25" wide pad is about the widest pad that will fit in the narrow section in the middle. You might be able to lay on your stomach if you inflate the pad to make it more rigid.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by WVwanderer View Post
    I found that when I used a thermarest pad the lay was even flatter but it makes the hammock feel a little more "tippier". I also found that a 25" wide pad is about the widest pad that will fit in the narrow section in the middle. You might be able to lay on your stomach if you inflate the pad to make it more rigid.
    I tried with a cheap inflatable (2.5" thick) pad as well as a self-infating (2" thick) pad and they both helped a bit with the side squeeze. However, even slightly flattened out, I had trouble finding a comfortable position to fall asleep in. It just felt like any way I moved, the hammock was constricting me somewhere. I'm not claustrophobic, but if this were a netted version, I'm sure that's how I'd feel in it. Conversely, in my GE hammocks, there's a bit more stretch. There are other factors that I'm sure make up that difference (the RR is double-layer 30D Dreamtex, while my GE hammocks are single layer 1.6 Hexon and 1.9 ripstop).

So, the RidgeRunner is a fine hammock, and extremely well-made, but it's just not for me. I'd kind of like to try an Amok, but not willing to pay that price for curiosity, so I think I'll just stick with the GE style. Now I need to figure out whether I want to hassle the fine folks at WB with returning this or try to sell it here. I've worked in retail enough to know that returns are the bane of many a sales associate's existence, and I know they're already super busy trying to fill orders.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast