Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

First Solo Winter Camping experience

Mere miles from the top of Cameron Pass CO on the eastern side of the Continental Divide. Probably more extreme than I had anticipated but wisdom is experience right .
    Had too much fun testing my new DIY Gear - made a Pulk to test along with some water storage methods. I should have taken heed on the water - ruined 2 stainless bottles trying the snow hole trick. Any how here are the pics.
    Unable to test my synthetic underquilt I made as the primary suspension shock cord I bought wasn't strong enough to support the UQ. No worries as I will get some different shock cord and test it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    Very cool and I really like the sticker. I always carry an extra hank of stretch cord to snug a droopy under quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Need2noCallahan View Post
    Very cool and I really like the sticker. I always carry an extra hank of stretch cord to snug a droopy under quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well that's either going to be a "Go Steelers" or a "I believe too ehh".
    Either way thank you for the kind words and the view.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Looks like a really great trip—and not least because of the steak. How long were you out, and how far did you hike in? Care to elaborate on what happened to those steel water bottles? I'm kinda dense...

What a beautiful location. One of these days I'm just going to up and move to Colorado.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Looks like a really great trip—and not least because of the steak. How long were you out, and how far did you hike in? Care to elaborate on what happened to those steel water bottles? I'm kinda dense...

What a beautiful location. One of these days I'm just going to up and move to Colorado.
    1) "How long were you up there" - Great question - 2 days and 2 nights.
    2) "How far did you hike in" - Another awesome question - according to the map about 1.2 miles.
    3) "what happened to the stainless steel water bottles" - Ahh what an idiot I am - Conventional wisdom on water storage is to make a snow hole and the snow will insulate the water just enough not to freeze - might be true but stainless steel isn't the right material - when it freezes is expands and plastic (lids I mean here) don't hold up to that kind of pressure nor does metal but metal bends. Any how use a nalgane bottle or like it I guess. Maybe just melt snow and let freeze in a pan then melt the ice?
    Anyhow thanks for the view

Last edited by GilligansWorld; 01-17-2020 at 23:47. Reason: Spelling

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Great pictures. That snow looks pretty firm. Could you have put boiling water in those SS bottles, and kept them in your pack with other gear to insulate them? Did you make your own sled?
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    Great pictures. That snow looks pretty firm. Could you have put boiling water in those SS bottles, and kept them in your pack with other gear to insulate them? Did you make your own sled?
    Yes to both questions and good idea. Snow NOT firm till walked on with snow shoes - odd snow at that powdery. Not good for snow balls

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Looks like a fun trip. Great pics. Stars out at night? Looks like it was clear.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Looks like a fun trip. Great pics. Stars out at night? Looks like it was clear.
    First day and night blue Bell day and yes Stars out - Second night only just before Dawn (very high and whispy Alto cumulus clouds I think). High on Wednesday the 15th was 25-30* and low according to my temp reading was .6* - Thursday high was 33* but low only like 16*. Clouds intermittent but ripping across the sky.
    I dodged a bullet on Friday. Usually I lounge around my last day but I got up ate and decided to pack up instead of staying the final day.
    Typically after I eat I might lay back down for a relaxing rabbit nap then finish packing and leave but had a weird hunch.
    Broke camp about 9:00 and hit the car at 9:30 (downhill was Soooo much faster then pulling my crap uphill).
    Snowing as I began packing - very light. By the time I am at the car moderate snow. As I descend highway 14 back down the mountain, like 5 minutes or a few miles - Bam white out. Can't drive more than 10-15 mph for like 30 minutes.
    My third night I bailed on - on a hunch basically. Not that I don't want to camp in a storm - but not one with sustained gusts of 30-50 mph in an area I am camping for first time.
    Forecast on Monday panned out a bit advanced. Wed. night was supposed to be windy and slightly warm, Thur. was supposed to be warm and partly cloudy, Fri. was supposed to be warm during day with wind building and snowing into Sat. Highs in mid to upper 30's and lows in teens except Wed. Almost perfect forecast but just a bit slow.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Sounds like you got out just in time. I don’t winter camp much but my concern would be around getting back to a car blocked in by snow. Even if they plow you might have to dig your car out.

This is a bit random but in the gear pic, what is the thing with the handle on the yellow bag next to the first aid kit?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast