11.5', 1.3 MTN Hybrid XL
    Tarp
    3*3 m 15D diamond
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties

1.3 MTN Hybrid XL stretch?

I currently use a 2.2 oz/yd˛ Hex70 GE and want to go lighter now. I also own a 1.0 Monolite GE and find it a bit too stretchy for me.
    Does anyone use the new RSBTR fabric 1.3 MTN Hybrid XL (the direct successor of the 1.2 MTN Hybrid) and could compare it with the Monolite and/or a 1.6 HyperD, which is the other fabric I am interested in?
    I weigh 82 kg or 180 lbs.
    Considering that it is supposed to be 30% stronger than its predecessor, the 1.2 MTN Hybrid, it should be less stretchy than the Monolite and more comparable to the 1.6, right?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have the 1.7 MTN and several 1.4 - 1.6 weight fabrics from various venders and find the MTN 1.7 to have very little stretch by comparison, which is exactly what I was looking for. Best hammock so far and I've made a bunch. BTW, I weigh just a few pounds over you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Yeah, you can't go by weight alone. Hexon is different than Robic/MTNX, etc. It's all slightly subjective too so...best of luck.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I have found the 1.7 MTN to have just slightly more give than the 2.2 Hex 70 but much less than the 1.6 hyper d.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by droney View Post
    Does anyone use the new RSBTR fabric 1.3 MTN Hybrid XL (the direct successor of the 1.2 MTN Hybrid) and could compare it with the Monolite and/or a 1.6 HyperD, which is the other fabric I am interested in?
    I made myself a hammock from MTN 1.3 last month and like it. I'm 5'9" and about 155-160. I can't compare it to HyperD or Monolite as I have neither, but I can tell you it has, to my mind, just slightly less stretch than my Argon 1.6 hammock. It definitely has much less stretch than, say, 1.0 ripstop, which I also have tried. It's not a soft feeling fabric and is somewhat slippery, but that's not a detriment in a hammock to me.

If I had it to do again, I probably wouldn't go with the XL wide version. I wanted to try it and I'm glad I did. The extra width, though, is probably wasted on me with my short stature, though YMMV. Even in the wide, the hammock plus zingit ridgeline and two amsteel loops on the end weighs almost exactly 10 ounces, which is wonderfully lightweight for such a large hammock. If you'd like to see a photo or two of it, I posted some when I finished it, on my Instagram page which you can find linked below. I don't remember the date but it was sometime in December, so not too far back. Maybe you can judge the stretch from the photos.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I'm still testing the 1.3, but all initial impressions are very positive.

Before I test a fabric in my bridges I build a gathered end or two and try the fabric that way and spend a week or more in that fabric to see how it behaves.

HyperD is silky soft and good for folks who like a soft bed under 200lbs and that series is the softest/stretchiest.
    Hexon (from Dutch) falls in between and for that reason I haven't really found a use for it in my stuff.
    The Mountain Hybrid series is the firmest in a given weight and almost performs a full jump better than HyperD. By that I mean; You could compare the Hybrid 1.7 to a 2 ounce or the Hybrid 1.3 to a HyperD 1.6.

I was surprised by the initial firmness of the Monolite, but it has no application for bridge hammocks other than netting so I haven't done much more than that with it. I also found that after a few nights in a row it softened up and for that reason I wouldn't look to it for continuous use or a longer trip... but for a quick overnighter or fast and light trip it is a great option. It is firmer than HyperD 1.0 on that first night or two and comparable to the Hybrid 1.2.

The Hybrid 1.2 was (and still is) a neat fabric but in bridge use I found I needed to limit it to about 150-175 ish users.

The bump to Nylon 6.6 thread in the 1.3 seems to have resolved that problem and I have expanded testing on that fabric. At roughly 235lbs I am coming up on 90 days on a few different bridge prototypes now.
    I think that it compares very favorably against Hexon 1.6 and HyperD 1.6. As a bridge... the 1.3 is superior to either. As a gathered end... I'd probably give the bump to the 1.3 too simply due to weight but you could make an argument for the fabric feel too justify any of them.

IF there is a legitimate negative I can think of with the Mtn Hybrid series it is the hand feel and the bumpy side. Not for me, but some folks notice it. The Hexon gives you that ripstop weave pattern without the bumps... and the HyperD is the silkiest easily. That said, I've found that the bumpy surface can give you some 'traction' which is helpful in a bridge and occasionally in a gathered end.

SO... long story short for you. I no longer enjoy the HyperD due to my back issues and preference for the support I get in my bridges. Being in Hex 70 it sounds as if you also like a little more support too.
    I just built two 11' x 58" gathered ends in Hybrid 1.7 and Hybrid 1.3. After all the XL fabric experiments I wanted to try the 60" width again and I am very happy with them thus far but find myself roughly split on how I feel about those fabrics. I find myself bouncing between both of them often.

Bottom line: I'm 235 at the moment and find myself on the fence a bit between Hybrid Mtn 1.3 vs 1.7 as my favorite.
    At your 180lbs I would strongly suggest the Hybrid 1.3 over the 1.7 for you.

Hammock
    11.5', 1.3 MTN Hybrid XL
    Tarp
    3*3 m 15D diamond
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Bill, thanks for the detailed comparison, that was quite helpful!
    Sideneyhornblower, I find your Instagram-image very useful to estimate the stretch, thanks.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I considered this but went with HyperD 1.6 for my first DIY hammock. I LOVE the Argon 1.6 hammocks I have, but figured I'd try something else...not really sure why.

I hope I made a good decision. I passed on the 1.3 since I didn't need wide, but I could have just cut it.

Hammock
    11.5', 1.3 MTN Hybrid XL
    Tarp
    3*3 m 15D diamond
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    not really sure why.
    That, I can answer to you: because you never have enough hammocks! Enjoy

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Well, I've been known to sell gear and repurchase the same thing just to change colors...so it's pretty bad

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast