of disbelief
    I just made a MTN 1.3 hammock. I also have hammocks in

• MTN 1.2,
    • MTN 1.7,
    • HyperD 1.6,
    • Hexon 1.6, and
    • Hexon 1.0.

Stretch
    The Hexon 1.0 is by far the stretchiest, and the MTN 1.7 is by far the stiffest. The others are fairly similar in terms of their stretchiness.

Feel
    I like the silky feel of the HyperD best. I also like the "cottony" feel of the Hexon, which is more noticeable in the 1.6 than the 1.0. The MTN hammocks have a sticky, plasticky feel which isn't great, but isn't terrible either. The new MTN 1.3 feels especially plasticky, but perhaps will wear in a bit. The MTN 1.3 also seems strangely bulky for its weight, but again, that might disappear with a bit of wear.

Usage
    • I use the HyperD at home, cos it's so silky and nice.
    • I'll use my new MTN 1.3 for backpacking trips cos it's a good compromise between light weight and strength.
    • I use the Hexon 1.0 for my "toss in the bag when I go to the beach, or go anywhere there might be a place I could hang for an hour".
    • I use the MTN 1.7 for 10-year old son cos it seems the strongest and best able to deal with his boisterous-boy ways.
    • The Hexon 1.6 and MTN 1.2 are for my partner or friends etc. They've both had quite a bit of use.

I think I finally have enough hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    I just made a MTN 1.3 hammock. I also have hammocks in

• MTN 1.2,
    • MTN 1.7,
    • HyperD 1.6,
    • Hexon 1.6, and
    • Hexon 1.0.

Stretch
    The Hexon 1.0 is by far the stretchiest, and the MTN 1.7 is by far the stiffest. The others are fairly similar in terms of their stretchiness.

Feel
    I like the silky feel of the HyperD best. I also like the "cottony" feel of the Hexon, which is more noticeable in the 1.6 than the 1.0. The MTN hammocks have a sticky, plasticky feel which isn't great, but isn't terrible either. The new MTN 1.3 feels especially plasticky, but perhaps will wear in a bit. The MTN 1.3 also seems strangely bulky for its weight, but again, that might disappear with a bit of wear.

Usage
    • I use the HyperD at home, cos it's so silky and nice.
    • I'll use my new MTN 1.3 for backpacking trips cos it's a good compromise between light weight and strength.
    • I use the Hexon 1.0 for my "toss in the bag when I go to the beach, or go anywhere there might be a place I could hang for an hour".
    • I use the MTN 1.7 for 10-year old son cos it seems the strongest and best able to deal with his boisterous-boy ways.
    • The Hexon 1.6 and MTN 1.2 are for my partner or friends etc. They've both had quite a bit of use.

I think I finally have enough hammocks.
    Spot on..

I have..
    -1.0 Hexon
    -1.2 Robic
    -1.3 Mtn
    -1.6 Hyper D x 2

About to sew another 1.6 Hyper D and a 1.0 Hyper D. And I had a 1.0 Monolite.

The above assessment is very much my experience.

The 1.6 Hyper D is and has been my favorite for a while.. Not much stretch to talk about and by far my favorite feel to the fabric. Compromise is the packed weight. Sleep great in them.

1.3 Mtn is almost the same in the way it sleeps, but the crispy feel to the fabric isn't my favorite. Feels like it's calendared. It's comfort and the fact that it's my only netless is what keeps it around. It's been my goto for a few months swapping off with the half wit style Hyper D 1.6.

1.2 Robic.. way to stretchy for me. More stretch than the 1.0 Hexon. I sold one and keep a second as a spare that doesn't get used. I can't do more than one night in that and even then.. it's a restless night.

1.0 Hexon is more comfortable than I thought. Mine is a DWG Halfwit and I have it primarily as a UL option.

The 1.0 Monolite was one of my most comfortable hammocks and I'd slept in that for multiple days with no issue. Very little stretch.. almost an anomaly. It was a half wit style hammock with a fully removable half net. It suffered a catastrophic failure on trail and has me questioning the idea of a UL hammock. That's one piece of kit I don't want to fail...ever again.

That said, I have some 1.0 Hyper D that I am going to use for a UL option with a full zippered bug net.. DH Darien style. Just to see how it feels.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG and CRO
    Suspension
    Kevlar-Lapp Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Spot on..

I have..
    -1.0 Hexon
    -1.2 Robic
    -1.3 Mtn
    -1.6 Hyper D x 2

About to sew another 1.6 Hyper D and a 1.0 Hyper D. And I had a 1.0 Monolite.

The above assessment is very much my experience.

The 1.6 Hyper D is and has been my favorite for a while.. Not much stretch to talk about and by far my favorite feel to the fabric. Compromise is the packed weight. Sleep great in them.

1.3 Mtn is almost the same in the way it sleeps, but the crispy feel to the fabric isn't my favorite. Feels like it's calendared. It's comfort and the fact that it's my only netless is what keeps it around. It's been my goto for a few months swapping off with the half wit style Hyper D 1.6.

1.2 Robic.. way to stretchy for me. More stretch than the 1.0 Hexon. I sold one and keep a second as a spare that doesn't get used. I can't do more than one night in that and even then.. it's a restless night.

1.0 Hexon is more comfortable than I thought. Mine is a DWG Halfwit and I have it primarily as a UL option.

The 1.0 Monolite was one of my most comfortable hammocks and I'd slept in that for multiple days with no issue. Very little stretch.. almost an anomaly. It was a half wit style hammock with a fully removable half net. It suffered a catastrophic failure on trail and has me questioning the idea of a UL hammock. That's one piece of kit I don't want to fail...ever again.

That said, I have some 1.0 Hyper D that I am going to use for a UL option with a full zippered bug net.. DH Darien style. Just to see how it feels.
    Thanks for the summary. Very helpful. Did you ever get around to making that 1.0 Hyper D Darien style? If so, what do you think?
    "Walking is man's best medicine." - Hippocrates

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcpuddleglum View Post
    Thanks for the summary. Very helpful. Did you ever get around to making that 1.0 Hyper D Darien style? If so, what do you think?

I have not been able to finish those... four hammocks stalled.

I am in New York and work for essential services... Public facing and remote access is inconsistent with my role and I get only a day or two remote sporadically. It's a miracle I am not sick yet. I am doing ten hour days come home, shower and crash. Plus I am studying for a securities exam that twice I was ready to test for and the test centers closed... Now my studies have to start from scratch... Sorry for the rant. It could be a lot worse.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG and CRO
    Suspension
    Kevlar-Lapp Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I have not been able to finish those... four hammocks stalled.

I am in New York and work for essential services... Public facing and remote access is inconsistent with my role and I get only a day or two remote sporadically. It's a miracle I am not sick yet. I am doing ten hour days come home, shower and crash. Plus I am studying for a securities exam that twice I was ready to test for and the test centers closed... Now my studies have to start from scratch... Sorry for the rant. It could be a lot worse.
    No problem, you certainly have a lot on you right now. Really sorry to hear about the hardships you and the people of your state are experiencing.
    "Walking is man's best medicine." - Hippocrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12