Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Maybe not a Chameleon but a netless? Yes the chameleon has everything attached and that could minimize the fiddle factor. But a basic hammock - no net or top cover attached - I would think would give the most unrestricted experience. No net or top cover that would “form” a specific way to lay...which given all the surgeries you might need the most flexibility possible to get comfy. You can always add a Fronkey style bug net - again would keep the biters away but not affect your hammock lay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've always followed the KISS methodology (Keep it Simple - Stupid) when it comes to hammocking. A simple gathered-end hammock and a Fronkey bugnet is all I need.

With that said, I won a Dutch Chameleon a couple of years ago, about the same time I got a new beagle, Joey. Beagle Joy cannot tolerate a simple gathered-end hammock and Fronkey bugnet. It is too easy for him to escape from. Therefore I have been using the Chameleon for the last two years - beagle Joey can't escape. He sleeps through the night (though occasionally waking me up for a pee break).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel13 View Post
    My name is Brad and I am a new member looking for some help with hammocks. I'm 5'11" 230# and have had 3 knee scopes, both shoulders rebuilt and a hip replacement. The right shoulder was just repaired in Nov. It is pretty hard for me to get comfortable on the ground in a tent anymore. I tried a cheap Wise Owl Double in the basement and it was reasonably comfortable but I know I can do much better. I have watched a ton of Shugs videos and others and the big two seem to be Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and Dutchware Chameleon Wide. I live in Aurora, CO and will be using this to camp in the mountains. Warbonnet is in Evergreen which is very close to me but has no showroom. Suggestions?
    I would stick with your local guy- if you can afford it- pick up a blackbird XL and a ridgerunner. Using them 'side by side' will give you a better idea.
    Brandon does allow returns and given you can literally drop it off- return postage is pretty cheap

You may find that with the recent shoulder surgery- you'll struggle with a gathered end a bit. Likely you will need a few pillows of various sizes handy as well to pop under your knees or even under that sore shoulder.

A bridge is typically best for these types of injuries if you're over 200lbs in my experience. I've had several folks (myself included) use a bridge during a shoulder injury as it allows you to easily sleep on your side and still get good support. A pillow or a rolled up towel behind your back will prevent you from rolling over onto the bad shoulder. If you've been given a brace; I'd suggest wearing it while sleeping if possible when in the bridge so that your shoulder doesn't flop back or forward.

That said- probably hard to evaluate a final winner until your shoulder heals up. Gathered ends tend to put a bit more pressure on your shoulders (and negative pressure on the knees) than a bridge. So I would think you'd find the bridge better initially, but you may prefer the Blackbird long term.

If none of those work for you- talk to me about my bridges.

Thanks everyone. the hammock would be for recreational use mainly. Ive been sleeping in a bed for awhile after this one. Im going to call each vendor Warbonnet, Dutchware and Dream Hammocks and discuss my situation.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Let us know which vendor thinks their hammock is best suited for your needs.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Brad, I'm curious about how you sleep. Are you mostly a back sleeper, or a side sleeper, or (like me) do you bounce back and forth all night long? We seem to have quite a few similarities. I'm 5' 10" and 210 to 215 Lb, former judo competitor. I have a badly damaged right elbow and horribly damaged left shoulder, as well as worn out hip / ball joints, and much more (it all comes back with a vengeance, doesn't it?). Now I can't sleep in one position for very long, even if I'm floating on a cloud. That's one of the reasons I never took to a gathered end hammock. It more or less forced me to sleep on only one side and that just didn't do it for me.

Fair caveat: I know far less about hammocks than almost anyone on this forum, but I do know a lot about physical damage. In my very limited experience I've found my new bridge hammock to be the best night's sleep I've had at camp for a very long time.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware UL Xenon
    Insulation
    Loco Libre UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps
    Hi Brad. I know your pain. 12 orthopedic surgeries after Afghanistan put an end to tent camping for me. I just ordered my Dutch Chameleon Wide and can't wait to get out in it. Also, because I have no idea what I'll face as I make my way around most of the Nat'l parks, I got the Tensa4 stand. The people at Dutch were VERY nice, and I can't recommend them highly enough. I spoke with Carolyn, and she took great care to make sure I got the perfect setup. I also got my under and top quilts from LocoLibre, and George [the owner] was incredibly nice. I recommend both of these vendors.
    I hope your experiences are great. Maybe I'll see you out there one day.
    Good luck!

I’m glad I read this, I love spending time in a hammock,but after 4 back surgeries,several rotor cuff surgeries On both shoulders,(
    one leaving me without a rotor cuff ) I cannot find a sweet spot for an extended lay.I am afraid to go on an overnight with a hammock because I’m usually only good for an hour or so.
    I currently sleep directly on the hard floor in our family room,but I am not ready to give up on the hammock.I will be installing apparatuses in my cabin for hanging hammock instead of building bunks,hopefully a solution will arise to help me out also.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I think Just Bill's Townsend Hammocks do a better job of minimizing shoulder squeeze than some other bridge designs, perhaps because they have longer spreader bars. A knee pillow works, but it's not as good a solution to hyperextension as my Peoples Bridge Hammock, with its built-in knee ridge. (It's available as a DIY only - I don't sell 'em, but I can tell you how to modify a store-bought bridge to simulate it.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12