Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post surgery hammock suggestions

My name is Brad and I am a new member looking for some help with hammocks. I'm 5'11" 230# and have had 3 knee scopes, both shoulders rebuilt and a hip replacement. The right shoulder was just repaired in Nov. It is pretty hard for me to get comfortable on the ground in a tent anymore. I tried a cheap Wise Owl Double in the basement and it was reasonably comfortable but I know I can do much better. I have watched a ton of Shugs videos and others and the big two seem to be Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and Dutchware Chameleon Wide. I live in Aurora, CO and will be using this to camp in the mountains. Warbonnet is in Evergreen which is very close to me but has no showroom. Suggestions?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Eno DryFly
    Insulation
    OneTigriss 40 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Definitely look up Dream Hammock. Made by a family in Ohio, they have amazing customer service and create top notch hammocks. The owner is active on here as well. You can customize pretty much anything to create exactly the hammock you want

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel13 View Post
    ...big two seem to be Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and Dutchware Chameleon Wide. I live in Aurora, CO and will be using this to camp in the mountains. Warbonnet is in Evergreen which is very close to me but has no showroom. Suggestions?
    If it helps, I think Warbonnet is running a sale right now on blem hammocks (small blemishes that don't affect much if anything) so that could save some money. The suggestion to consider Dream Hammock is also a good one as you can customize to your heart's content, assuming you have an idea what you want. Along those same lines, if you sew or know someone who does, you can make EXACTLY what you want in an afternoon or two. Ripstop by the Roll has kits and instructions for basic hammocks. I recently made myself one and did so to my exact specs to fit me personally, which can be rewarding in itself.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Dutch also got a 15% off sale on Chameleons and add ons.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Dutch also got a 15% off sale on Chameleons and add ons.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel13 View Post
    My name is Brad and I am a new member looking for some help with hammocks. I'm 5'11" 230# and have had 3 knee scopes, both shoulders rebuilt and a hip replacement. The right shoulder was just repaired in Nov. It is pretty hard for me to get comfortable on the ground in a tent anymore. I tried a cheap Wise Owl Double in the basement and it was reasonably comfortable but I know I can do much better. I have watched a ton of Shugs videos and others and the big two seem to be Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and Dutchware Chameleon Wide. I live in Aurora, CO and will be using this to camp in the mountains. Warbonnet is in Evergreen which is very close to me but has no showroom. Suggestions?
    If you are close to Warbonnet, I would call up Brandon (he owns it) and ask if you can go over there to see the hammocks and try one or two out. there are bridge hammocks that might be pretty comfy for you given all your surgery, you can try both the Ridgerunner (bridge hammock) or the BBXLC (gathered end). I find actually getting in one and seeing and feeling the fabric and colors is helpful especially if you are new to the addiction--uh, I mean, lifestyle.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    I been going back and forth about picking up a Chameleon and replacing my Half Zipped. A bunch of times, I wished I had the other zipper. I didn't pick up anything for the Black Friday/Christmas sales other than a 15' set of spider/poly straps and another set of beetle buckles. Really looking at getting the 1.6 Hexon with symmetrical bug net and side sling. The Half Zipped is the older model with standard lay (the new model is symmetrical, but still only one zipper) and I have an El Dorado that I flipped the bug net for left lay. In both I find I wake up when I move/thrash around and try to lay opposite of the what the hammock is set for.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Make your hammock ridgeline with 7/64 amsteel
    You can pull yourself up, by grabbing ridgeline, as you get out of hammock

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    I’ve had both Warbonnets and they are great.
    Friends have the Dutch And Dream hammocks and they love them.
    You can’t go wrong with any of them.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have had a couple of Warbonnets and a couple of Dream Hammocks. Both are great hammocks. I would strongly suggest finding a loaner to see if hammock camping is suitable for you given the multiple joint surgeries. I had knee surgery this past spring and I now have resorted to using some support under the knee to help minimize the stress (commonly called knee pillows). If you purchase one of the better known, and reviewed hammocks, you should be able to recoup a good portion of the money spent if it doesn't work out for you. Still best to try a loaner, or go into it with knowledge it just might not be comfortable.

I would say bridge hammocks are out for you. My experience with the Ridgerunner is it had more shoulder squeeze than was even comfortable for me. I wouldn't think one of the 90 degree hammocks would be suitable either. I am wondering if the design of the Haven hammock might be a possibility based on one review that I have seen thus far, i.e. flat lay and good for side sleeping. Anyway, my .02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast