Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I helped liteaf design it. Its like the palace without a cat cut and proper sized doors.
    If you are comparing the LiteAF tarp to the Hammock Gear Winter Palace then I'd disagree that the LiteAF tarp is "like" the Palace as the Palace is 10' 4" wide and the LiteAF tarp is Width 8’10” so the Palace is a lot wider.
    If you want a comparison of the visible sizes see this video/picture.
    https://hammockgear.com/dyneema-fiber-palace-tarp/
    tarp.PNG
    Last edited by TrailSlug; 01-16-2020 at 19:27.

Images
    I said "like". The 10'4" is at its widest point, which you loose in the middle with the cat cut. It makes it an inbetween the hgs 2 tarps. It feels more "like" my palace when your standing under it compared to my 2 buddies tiny feeling standard. So no not the same, but like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jreed View Post
    Over the winter I have purchased a few tarps including a UGQ Penny pincher Hex and Warbonnet Thunderfly. Ive since decided that I may offload these and go with the LiteAF hammock tarp with doors that was just released.

My only concern with a DCF tarp in the packability. Ive read they take up more room and space is at a premium in my 40L pack. Can anyone comment on that, or on the LiteAF in particular?
    Although mild winter weather is entirely do-able with 40 liter pack, maybe consider getting a somewhat larger pack for "real" winter.

I'm all about carrying a reasonably light pack, but a pair of 20-deg quilts and a DCF winter tarp (Palace) plus down parka/pants, winter canister stove setup (Jetboil Minimo for snow melting) and other winter gear... and food, esp for multi-night... would really be pushing the limits on volume for a 40 liter pack. Might be able to cram it all in there, but it's no fun when all pockets are absolutely stuffed to the gills and items are strapped on the outside and other things are dangling around, and the pack (frameless?) is like a hard lump of sausage on your back.

For 1- and 2-night "real" winter trips I find that a 52 liter Arc Blast is enough for me, and deep cold with 0-deg quilts and/or more nights (= more food!) makes me appreciate the 62 liter Arc Haul.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Considering moving to a LiteAF DCF tarp....question

hmmmm... proper doors?

My first thought is that it could replace two tarps..

At this point I have all three of the HG DCF tarps.. I find zero issue with the Stan w/ doors. Don't find it too small or too heavy. It's pretty much a perfect tarp for me. The Standard.. pretty much the same in my book. The size is fine.

The Palace.. the doors are a woeful disappointment. For me, it's a winter-only tarp and to think you can't properly overlap the doors is bothersome. I've tried everything. Still can't understand why HG makes it that way, or why they haven't redesigned it. Often think about selling it since it's such a limited use item. But the side coverage is what keeps it in inventory, and that it weight half of what a similarly sized silpoly weighs.

That said, while the LiteAF could replace both of my door'd tarps I suppose, it's a compromise on either end and not a real replacement for me. Larger than I want for regular use and smaller than I want for deep winter. Makes great sense for a thru hike though.

@fallkniven.. What was the rationale behind straight cut rather than cat cut on the side panels? Just the extra side coverage? Do the angled tie outs alleviate the loose fabric? I swear the tie outs on my other tarps are angled, maybe just not as much.
    Last edited by MikekiM; 01-17-2020 at 08:24.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I am UL'er and weight is a huge concern. Bulk is harder for me to lose than weight, though. A few yrs ago I switched to DCF for the lightest weight and loved it ...still do.

But before Christmas I actually sold my DCF Palace and spent the money on a heavier, less bulky tarp (Thunderfly) and a good bit of other fun gear . Takes up less space, and since I'm pretty light everywhere else, the weight doesn't bother me. Getting almost as light as I can comfortably go was a great exercise that helped me learn what I like, don't like, and what I can do without.

All very good responses, I appreciate them all. As far as winter camping goes, I really don't do any at this point. For me it is mostly a spring - fall adventure. Both of my quilts are 30* so that's about as low as I go, lol. I do also have an osprey exos 58 for those larger carries.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the LiteAF yesterday. I figure I can try it and always sell easily if its not for me. For some reason, my tarp is the only piece of gear I haven't been able to settle on. Im really like the looks of everything about the LiteAF so we'll see. Will probably sell both of my other tarps (even though theyre brand new) and give this one a serious go this spring.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    "Frozen" from youtube channel Outdoor Adventures just posted a video on that exact tarp...check it out: LiteAF Hammock Tarp - Out Now
    "Always pass on what you have learned" - Yoda

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Green or white? I'm thinking green so it looks less dirty after some use?

Hate to be critical, but I think that side pullout patch could have used a little more love. Possibly a beta version? Wish they were just hidden inside instead.

I like the 60° guy line angle. This could get me back into DCF eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by County_mountie View Post
    "Frozen" from youtube channel Outdoor Adventures just posted a video on that exact tarp...check it out: LiteAF Hammock Tarp - Out Now
    Haha, yeah Im a big fan of Frozen. He's the reason I was looking at it. Even bounced a few questions off of him.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Green or white? I'm thinking green so it looks less dirty after some use?

Hate to be critical, but I think that side pullout patch could have used a little more love. Possibly a beta version? Wish they were just hidden inside instead.

I like the 60° guy line angle. This could get me back into DCF eventually.
    I ordered the green. The white looks really sharp new but Id be worried about the dirt as well. I like the 60* guy-out as well. Also like that they include the door tiebacks. Thats a nice touch.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast