Dutch chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    Loco UQ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Doubl Woopie

First time hammock, need suggestions

This will be the first hammock setup for me.
    I'm a hiker so lightweight is key. Being that im just getting starting, I want to have equipment that is versatile for different seasons, although I don't anticipate winter trips.

Here's what I'm pretty set on so far(although it can change): Dutch chameleon asym, UGQ bandit 20 topquilt, Dutch continuous Ridgeline, Dutch double woopie hook suspension to 4 ft tree hugger(for later use with a partner), Marlin spike. I'm not sure on the tarp but I'm thinking about hammock gears "the quest". Again I'm not firm on this yet.

What I'm not sure about is the underquilt. I want something that uses true baffles, rather than sewn through. I would also like something that comes at a good price. I think 20degree would be a good temp rating (michigan). Also I think that full length would be key for me, but I'm not very educated on this. Michigan is actually pretty warm/humid in summer, but typically with cold nights especially in shoulder seasons when I like to go camping.

Does anyone have any better suggestions on my equipment choices or any at all on my bottom quilt? What should I be looking at for my needs? Any/all suggestions are welcome!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Maybe look at a 3/4 length UQ if your primary concern is weight and bulk. Even down to 20F, you can supplement by inserting a foam sit pad into your TQ footbox. UGQ has the Zeppelin, and you can get them in multiple lengths.

I have 2 sets, both HG Burrow and Phoenix (3/4 length) for 40F and 20F. I use the 40F set almost year round except summers (Florida, need AC), but we do drop into the mid/upper 20s for brief periods.

If you're looking at having only one set of quilts, then go for 20F since it would cover your stated seasons. You can always vent the UQ and kick a leg out of the TQ.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have fun in your research.
    As to UQ's, I have several videos that may give some insight.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    The partial UQs are favored by many backpackers especially during 3 seasons for taking up less room in the pack, less weight and less expensive.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    Loco UQ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Doubl Woopie
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Maybe look at a 3/4 length UQ if your primary concern is weight and bulk. Even down to 20F, you can supplement by inserting a foam sit pad into your TQ footbox. UGQ has the Zeppelin, and you can get them in multiple lengths.

I have 2 sets, both HG Burrow and Phoenix (3/4 length) for 40F and 20F. I use the 40F set almost year round except summers (Florida, need AC), but we do drop into the mid/upper 20s for brief periods.

If you're looking at having only one set of quilts, then go for 20F since it would cover your stated seasons. You can always vent the UQ and kick a leg out of the TQ.

Thanks for your input. How many inches makes a proper 3/4 uq? If it helps I'm 5'8".

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    Loco UQ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Doubl Woopie
    Thanks shug. I'm actually a sub of yours on YouTube! You have provided to me a ton of info about hamocking in the last year!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Gt5228 View Post
    Thanks for your input. How many inches makes a proper 3/4 uq? If it helps I'm 5'8".
    The HG Phoenix is 52" long. I'm 6'1" and it covers just above my shoulders to below my knees. A full length should cover you entirely.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    That list looks excellent for a first list. Get it and get out there because if you are like many of us the list will continue to grow as time passes and experiences grow.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I might suggest considering 10* or 0* for your underquilt. I went from a 40* HG to a 20* and thought that would give me a wider range of temps to hang in (as mentioned, can let the uq sag for venting if it’s warm). However I find that here in PA 20* temps happen a little more frequently than I thought in the winter (eg this weekend) and an extra 10-20* would be appreciated.

Ideally I’d have 2 sets of quilts - 0-10* and 40* - but then you get in to this whole thing called “money”.

Alternatively, if you’re up for a little DIY, get a 20* quilt and make an underquilt out of a Costco Down Throw. You can layer it with your 20* if it’s cold and then that can be your warm weather quilt for temps 45*+. It’s inexpensive and not too difficult even if you have limited sewing skills.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gt5228 View Post
    Does anyone have any better suggestions on my equipment choices or any at all on my bottom quilt? What should I be looking at for my needs? Any/all suggestions are welcome!
    At 5'9" I find a 3/4 length underquilt covers my backside from neck to ankles. If you're 5'8", you'd save a bit of weight using a 3/4 length underquilt and still have more than sufficient coverage. Mine is a Jarbidge from Arrowhead Equipment, but the same comments would apply to most of the 3/4 length quilts from any reputable makers, like HG's Phoenix. Look for lengths around 50 or so inches and you'll be fine. 20 degree quilts seem to be the sweet spot for most folks.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

I am sort of in the same boat as far as not knowing where to start on the UQ side of things. I was thinking an SLD synthetic quilt for 30 degrees and up and a overstuffed wookie for colder. Really confused about it. Not sure how accurate the temperature ratings are -- Most of the time I will be above 20 degrees (would probably never go below that unless in the mountains in the shoulder seasons and could no predict the low very well). I am 6'3" + and 238.

I figure I will ultimately have three UQs but what and in what order is holding me up from pulling the trigger on anything yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast