Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Check out simply light designs trail winder asym UQ. No unnecessary insulation, is water resistant , very budget friendly, and stupid easy setup. The rest of your list of stuff looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    Loco UQ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Doubl Woopie
    I hope not, this is pretty expensive as it is. Going to the Michigan fall hang with a tent was my first mistake. It was a ton of fun but It made me want to go the expensive route on my shelter/sleep system. The reason I'm not going cheap with my gear list is mostly because its more expensive I'm my mind to go with cheaper gear that I'll end up replacing with proper equipment. Plus, cheap gear only saves me $2-300 dollars, when you consider that I'll be spending almost a grand, the $2-300 isn't a great deal more, especially if it is gear that I'm compromising on.
    Last edited by Gt5228; 01-16-2020 at 20:51.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Gt5228 View Post
    I hope not, this is pretty expensive as it is. Going to the Michigan fall hang with a tent was my first mistake. It was a ton of fun but It made me want to go the expensive route on my shelter/sleep system. The reason I'm not going cheap with my gear list is mostly because its more expensive I'm my mind to go with cheaper gear that I'll end up replacing with proper equipment. Plus, cheap gear only saves me $2-300 dollars, when you consider that I'll be spending almost a grand, the $2-300 isn't a great deal more, especially if it is gear that I'm compromising on.
    The adage 'buy once, cry once' definitely fits here. I went that Walmart/Amazon route for a while. Didn't spend too much, but I learned what I didn't like after spending about $200. Tarp is heavy and bulky, tarp is a pain to set up and take down much less trying to stuff back in the sack, hammock too short and narrow and bulky, hammock is a pain to set up, sleeping bag is a pain to get in and out of, pad slides around too much, bent/broke the MSR Ground Hog knock offs made out of Chinesium, daisy chain straps are heavy and bulky and too short, paracord is too stretchy for tarp ridgeline and guylines...and all this stuff took up over half the space in a 65L pack. But, I did get out and had fun. Maybe had some difficulties with sleep, but not so much that alcohol couldn't conquer.

I think the biggest thing is just to get started and try not to get too bogged down in analyzing the gear. Maybe before you pull the trigger, you attend more of the meetups and check out the setups. Pretty sure people will even let you try 'em out. I wish I had done this before jumping in...would've saved me a lot of second guessing. All told, I'm in for about $1,500 between Hammock Gear (they got about half of the total spend), Dutch and Warbonnet plus some stuff I bought used here. The vendor purchases were during sales events, so I saved 10-15% here and there...I find that usually about covers the cost of shipping. So far, I've been happy with these purchases. But, if I had ended with something that didn't work for me I at least know I can sell it on here and recoup some of my costs.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Some of us have more sticker shock than others when getting into hammock camping. It took me at least two years to upgrade my gear from just a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip with a ccf pad! Then I got 20* HG quilts, and they served me well for a couple of years. Now I have 40*, 20* and 0* quilts for any contingency, and I can stack them if it gets really cold.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    Loco UQ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Doubl Woopie
    I'm looking at EE, UGQ, HG, AND loco libra. So far I'm leaning toward loco libra habanero, but also like HGs Phoenix. UGQ is too heavy and a little on the pricy side(4oz and $60 more than habanero), and EE is a bit pricy($45 more than the habanero.) Does anyone have any opinion on HG vs LL? did I get anything wrong about UGQ VS EE? Am I missing a quality down uq brand?
    Last edited by Gt5228; 01-17-2020 at 00:59.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm looking at EE, UGQ, HG, AND loco libra. So far I'm leaning toward loco libra jalapeno, but also like HGs Phoenix. UGQ is too heavy and a little on the pricy side(4oz and $60 more than jalapeno), and EE is a bit pricy($45 more than the jalapeno.) Does anyone have any opinion on HG vs LL? did I get anything wrong about UGQ VS EE? Am I missing a quality down uq brand?
    I've heard nothing but good things about George Carr and Loco Libre. However, I own only HG quilts (40*, 20* and 0* TQ & UQ). I bought all my quilts before George was even in business, but if I needed new quilts, I'd give Loco Libre a try.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 01-17-2020 at 00:37.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    Loco UQ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Doubl Woopie
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've heard nothing but good things about George Carr and Loco Libre. However, I own only HG quilts (40*, 20* and 0* TQ & UQ). I bought all my quilts before George was even in business, but if I needed new quilts, I'd give Loco Libre a try.
    His website is terrable, but I'm liking what I see. I'm now having second thoughts about my topquilt.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There is usually a trend to "get it right the first time" when it comes to purchases. My world has seldom allowed that to happen. Be it hiking gear, kayaks, computers, girlfriends, etc. Usually the first thing I get - NO MATTER HOW MUCH RESEARCH - is not what I eventually end up with; especially after a period of time to gain experience. I'm not putting down research - do it all the time myself - just understanding that what you start with will probably not be what you end up with after a bit of experience.

For example, first I bought some whoopies, then I learned how to make them, then I actually started using them and found the additional distance they usually required and the fuss factor in milking/unmilking the bury to be too much of a hassle for me (especially in wet/cold conditions). So I went to daisy chain and may migrate back to webbing this summer. The weight difference has never been a concern. I am not trying for some record thru-hike speed distance. Most my outings are in the 10 - 15 mile (or less) range. A few ounces here or there isn't going to make any difference - especially if they contribute to comfort and simplicity.

Another time I bought a well regarded (and researched) hammock. But I found the cut of the hammock hit me wrong behind the knees. I wanted to like that hammock. But each time I got in/out of it, I felt this hard edge behind my knees. So I got something else. Just starting is more important that getting everything right the first time.

The other trend is to look for something that will solve every situation.

Both mindsets can lead to frustration. In the first case, if you just get something that works, you will have many opportunities to learn what you like and what you'd like to change. So maybe you don't have to buy all the high priced gear at once.

For example, if you've been camping at all, you probably have a sleeping pad. Instead of investing in an under quilt right away, you could use that pad in a double layer hammock or, in summer, put it between a single layer hammock and an under quilt protector (UQP). But do know that if you find hammock camping is for you, you WILL buy an under quilt. At your height, a ¾ under quilt is almost full size and will save you some money, pack weight, bulk.

In the second case, my gear is sectioned into about three situations. Spring/Summer/Fall uses pretty much the same gear - though what I take on a day hike is different from what I'd take if I were spending the night. The second situation is "normal" winter. For that, I go to my 20 degree gear. The third situation is "crazy" winter - single digit temperatures. For that I have my 0 degree stuff.

If I could only have one - I'd go for 20 degree quilts. For me, down seldom gets too hot. That means I could use a 20 degree quilt in much warmer temperature and still be comfortable. With various venting and the use of an UQP or not, it's fine. The luxury of 40 degree quilts in summer is just a weight/bulk saving.

I scanned up and it looks like you understand that quality is worth the cost - and it is. What I'm talking about is not dropping a whole load of money all at once. Also, it looks like you are considering everything NEW. There are a lot of excellent used deals in the For Sale forum.

Amazing but true, there are people who buy stuff just to try it out. Later, they sell it in near new condition - considering the financial loss in the sale price to be the cost of education. With the idea of having your first year be a learning experience, you could buy quality used gear for "the classroom" and after the first year, you'll have a much better idea of what you want. OR you could be one of those mentioned above - buy new, use it for a while, learn from it, then sell it and buy what your more experienced self wants.

Just and idea ...

PS: It's all "classroom". It never stops; until ... it does.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 01-22-2020 at 13:31.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    Loco UQ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Doubl Woopie
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    There is usually a trend to "get it right the first time" when it comes to purchases. My world has seldom allowed that to happen. Be it hiking gear, kayaks, computers, girlfriends, etc. Usually the first thing I get - NO MATTER HOW MUCH RESEARCH - is not what I eventually end up with; especially after a period of time to gain experience. I'm not putting down research - do it all the time myself - just understanding that what you start with will probably not be what you end up with after a bit of experience.

For example, first I bought some whoopies, then I learned how to make them, then I actually started using them and found the additional distance they usually required and the fuss factor in milking/unmilking the bury to be too much of a hassle for me (especially in wet/cold conditions). So I went to daisy chain and may migrate back to webbing this summer. The weight difference has never been a concern. I am not trying for some record thru-hike speed distance. Most my outings are in the 10 - 15 mile (or less) range. A few ounces here or there isn't going to make any difference - especially if they contribute to comfort and simplicity.

Another time I bought a well regarded (and researched) hammock. But I found the cut of the hammock hit me wrong behind the knees. I wanted to like that hammock. But each time I got in/out of it, I felt this hard edge behind my knees. So I got something else. Just starting is more important that getting everything right the first time.

The other trend is to look for something that will solve every situation.

Both mindsets can lead to frustration. In the first case, if you just get something that works, you will have many opportunities to learn what you like and what you'd like to change. So maybe you don't have to buy all the high priced gear at once.

For example, if you've been camping at all, you probably have a sleeping pad. Instead of investing in an under quilt right away, you could use that pad in a double layer hammock or, in summer, put it between a single layer hammock and an under quilt protector (UQP). But do know that if you find hammock camping is for you, you WILL buy an under quilt. At your height, a ¾ under quilt is almost full size and will save you some money, pack weight, bulk.

In the second case, my gear is sectioned into about three situations. Spring/Summer/Fall uses pretty much the same gear - though what I take on a day hike is different from what I'd take if I were spending the night. The second situation is "normal" winter. For that, I go to my 20 degree gear. The third situation is "crazy" winter - single digit temperatures. For that I have my 0 degree stuff.

If I could only have one - I'd go for 20 degree quilts. For me, down seldom gets too hot. That means I could use a 20 degree quilt in much warmer temperature and still be comfortable. With various venting and the use of an UQP or not, it's fine. The luxury of 40 degree quilts in summer is just a weight/bulk saving.

I scanned up and it looks like you understand that quality is worth the cost - and it is. What I'm talking about is not dropping a whole load of money all at once. Also, it looks like you are considering everything NEW. There are a lot of excellent used deals in the For Sale forum.

Amazing but true, there are people who buy stuff just to try it out. Later, they sell it in near new condition - considering the financial loss in the sale price to be the cost of education. With the idea of having your first year be a learning experience, you could buy quality used gear for "the classroom" and after the first year, you'll have a much better idea of what you want. OR you could be one of those mentioned above - buy new, use it for a while, learn from it, then sell it and buy what your more experienced self wants.

Just and idea ...

PS: It's all "classroom". It never stops; until ... it does.
    Thanks for the insight coug! I'll deff consider your awesome advice.

My list has changed tremendously since originally posting thanks to super helpful members such as yourself! I'm all for used gear. I have a ton of used backpacking gear and love it! In addition to the good value, it's great for the environment to get used stuff! My tax return will be paying for it all. That said, it's going to be at least a month b4 I see any of it. For this reason I don't want to speculate what will be available second hand once I actually have cash in hand. I'm also considering utilizing some of dutch's diminished gear. I also make my own gear(skullys, backpacks, sleeping bags, etc...). My theory has always been to never make something until you have purchased and/or used it. That said, my plan for future needs is tentatively to make them myself.

My new amended gear list(for now) is:

Loco Libra habanero 20*($216)

Loco Libra operator ghost pepper 20*($293)

Chameleon hammock ($125 bugnet only, no side car or top cover)

Dutch double woopie ($41.40 with tree huggers, no spreaders yet, for future use)

WB minifly($105)

Dutch flys($25)

This with others(guyouts, stakes, ridgeline, etc... ) Comes out to $854 And 4.42lbs.

If buying new, I'm not sure that I could save that much more without going to synthetics, or using cheaper down.

I'm not entirely opposed to using an 800FP down but it is a (2-3oz)x2 heavier and only saves me $100 total in most cases. This is something I'll have to consider when it comes to purchasing the equipment.

Nevertheless you advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for helping me out!
    Last edited by Gt5228; 01-23-2020 at 11:37.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Thanks for the insight coug! I'll deff consider your awesome advice.

My list has changed tremendously since originally posting thanks to super helpful members such as yourself! I'm all for used gear. I have a ton of used backpacking gear and love it! In addition to the good value, it's great for the environment to get used stuff! My tax return will be paying for it all. That said, it's going to be at least a month b4 I see any of it. For this reason I don't want to speculate what will be available second hand once I actually have cash in hand. I'm also considering utilizing some of dutch's diminished gear. I also make my own gear(skullys, backpacks, sleeping bags, etc...). My theory has always been to never make something until you have purchased and/or used it. That said, my plan for future needs is tentatively to make them myself.

My new amended gear list(for now) is:

Loco Libra habanero 20*($216)

Loco Libra operator ghost pepper 20*($293)

Chameleon hammock ($125 bugnet only, no side car or top cover)

Dutch double woopie ($41.40 with tree huggers, no spreaders yet, for future use)

WB minifly($105)

Dutch flys($25)

This with others(guyouts, stakes, ridgeline, etc... ) Comes out to $854 And 4.42lbs.

If buying new, I'm not sure that I could save that much more without going to synthetics, or using cheaper down.

I'm not entirely opposed to using an 800FP down but it is a (2-3oz)x2 heavier and only saves me $100 total in most cases. This is something I'll have to consider when it comes to purchasing the equipment.

Nevertheless you advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for helping me out!
    For a first setup that's a really good combo at a reasonable price and weight. Even though that's not my kit, I always think of in terms of "Could I live with that?" and the answer is YES! You done good!!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast