Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Nice job on the square bottom. I've got material to make one and it's next on my "to do" list. Did you have a pattern for it or just wing it?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Nice job on the square bottom. I've got material to make one and it's next on my "to do" list. Did you have a pattern for it or just wing it?
    Totally made it up as I went. It would have been a few inches longer but I messed up a couple times and had to trim off the top to start over. It ended up being a pretty good size for down jackets or a combination of a few smaller things.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    Don't be too hard on yourself...it only gets better, and with practice it certainly will! Best place to look is on Jellyfish's youtube channel and RSBTR's tutorial videos are GREAT! Check out both and you will be turning out a perfect bag in no time.
    "Always pass on what you have learned" - Yoda

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by County_mountie View Post
    Don't be too hard on yourself...it only gets better, and with practice it certainly will! Best place to look is on Jellyfish's youtube channel and RSBTR's tutorial videos are GREAT! Check out both and you will be turning out a perfect bag in no time.
    Yeah those two come up a lot when searching...for good reason! I like the snappy "pop" sound the needle makes thru this fabric. I think I'm going to make a hammock next just for fun; I only have about 7 right now.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Sewing can be a lot of fun. I've been doing it for many decades. A lot of my current stuff looks way better than my earlier stuff but that's normal for anything that takes experience to get better at. One thing to keep in mind is we are making stuff for use in the wilderness, not the runway, so if it isn't pretty, nobody but you will notice.

If you aren't comfortable sewing yet, I'd recommend picking up a yard or two of the cheapest cotton you can find at Walmart and practicing. Once you are confident in your sewing skills, it will be much easier to work with more difficult fabric. My last UQ was a huge PITA because it was made up of lightweight silpoly that would move if you breathed on it. As somebody else recommended, wonderclips are better than pins and I was clipping this every 4 inches.

Your stuffsack looks good. I would be proud of yourself. Doing a round bottom is slightly more challenging but it's a nice thing to try on a small stuffsack before you try a TQ that's made with a lot of expensive fabric and down and is way puffy and difficult to wrangle.

Most of all, DIY should be fun or you'd be better off just buying it. So have fun.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Thanks! I do have a big bag of clips on order...something crazy like 90 pieces but it was cheap. Maybe I'll find other uses for them too.

I think I'm confident enough to keep moving forward, but sticking to pretty basic stuff. I have some Cordura fabric coming for a duffel bag and folding saw pouches; HyperD 300 (love that stuff!!) for some wallets and whatever else I can think of...probably some small bags for organization.

Images
    It just occurred to me that the sewing clips (the ones that are about 3/4 inch long) would make good clothespins for airing clothes, washing socks, hanging things on your hammock ridgeline- they have a pretty strong grip.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    It just occurred to me that the sewing clips (the ones that are about 3/4 inch long) would make good clothespins for airing clothes, washing socks, hanging things on your hammock ridgeline- they have a pretty strong grip.
    I may take them once I see how big they are. In the meantime, I plan on using these mini pins in the hot tent. I think mine are actually even smaller though.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...--Mini/p/75101

I picked them up locally after an amazon fail (tiny junk)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I like the snappy "pop" sound the needle makes thru this fabric.
    In my (somewhat limited) experience, a popping sound is a sign your needle is dull. Or broken. You might try a brand new needle and see of the pop goes away.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dscotthep View Post
    In my (somewhat limited) experience, a popping sound is a sign your needle is dull. Or broken. You might try a brand new needle and see of the pop goes away.
    Never would have guessed. Thanks for mentioning that. It was an old machine from my aunt that did a ton of quilting, so it could have been well used by this point.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast