Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

First DIY hammock

I just tore 3 holes in my favorite hammock (10.5' Argon 1.6) while building a bipod stand. Stupid me dropped a piece of pipe and that rough edge just tore it up when hitting the ground. It's an area under no stress, at least it seems that way. I guess I can repair it, but...

I look at this as a great opportunity to make my own. I just ordered some 1.6 HyperD in black. I can't do any other color! I'll stay with the same 10.5' and add a side "pocket" for my phone and miscellaneous smalls like the old one.

It's a shame it took me 8 years to get to this point of making my own. 8 years!!!!!!!!! But I'm on board with this DIY thing, quickly giving RSBTR $130 for various materials. A dangerous game here.

Pics when I get the material in and sew it up...

Sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved hammock. I tore a small hole in the bottom of my 1stTrail Lair when my watch came undone from my ridgeline and I rolled over the latch. Stupid mistake, but things happen. Sent it back to Jared at SLD and it was good as new. I don't need another hammock either, but the idea of doing a DIY one from RSBTR is temping!

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Careful The RSBTR rabbit hole is deeper and more expensive than the hf dot net rabbit hole.
    If $ isn't an issue and weight isn't a huge factor - IMHO make the hammock wider than 60" - I made my last one 12' long and almost 84" wide. Works AWESOME in high winds as you can "cocoon" the sides over you for extra wind protection - I made the body out of the 1.3 mnt hybrid and the extra "side" material from the 1.7 (wind protection).
    Whipped the ends so I could/can adjust out any and all calf ridge. By far my most comfortable hammock now and my dedicated winter hammock (1.6 hyper D is my 3 season now)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Careful The RSBTR rabbit hole is deeper and more expensive than the hf dot net rabbit hole.
    If $ isn't an issue and weight isn't a huge factor - IMHO make the hammock wider than 60" - I made my last one 12' long and almost 84" wide. Works AWESOME in high winds as you can "cocoon" the sides over you for extra wind protection - I made the body out of the 1.3 mnt hybrid and the extra "side" material from the 1.7 (wind protection).
    Whipped the ends so I could/can adjust out any and all calf ridge. By far my most comfortable hammock now and my dedicated winter hammock (1.6 hyper D is my 3 season now)
    I'm pretty picky about extra fabric and never liked wide, or even the usual size. I'm OK with the "standard" netless most vendors sell, so I'll just copy that. I'm pretty sure my Dutchware Argon measured 53" finished when I laid it flat. I'll double check before cutting though.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    But I'm on board with this DIY thing, quickly giving RSBTR $130 for various materials. A dangerous game here.
    Dangerous indeed. The DIY hammock is a great gateway drug to the harder stuff (tarps, UQ, TQ, etc). I would love to see pics of your hammock too when you get to that point.

Have fun!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Dangerous indeed. The DIY hammock is a great gateway drug to the harder stuff (tarps, UQ, TQ, etc). I would love to see pics of your hammock too when you get to that point.
    I'll take it on my trip next week...but pack a backup as well since I don't trust myself that much yet.

Wait, you just spent $130 for materials when you can buy a Chameleon for $125? I take it that it’s more than just the basic hammock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Wait, you just spent $130 for materials when you can buy a Chameleon for $125? I take it that it’s more than just the basic hammock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Oh heck yeah. Made a couple stuff sacks from 1.1 ripstop, folding saw bag, 4 spools of thread, two zipper bag kits, 12 yards for hammock, 3 yards of HyperD 300, more Linelocs and Lineloc hooks., 50' of webbing.

So the hammock? $29.75. A little less expensive.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Brent Rambo thumbs up! I finally pulled the trigger on this after 8 years of going tentless!!

I'm glad I didn't use contrasting gray thread as planned, because I was ALL OVER the place. Couldn't sew a straight line to save my life. 10.5' (more like 10.4' since cutting a square edge was a beesh and I lost some to recutting). HyperD 1.6 black. Used an existing 1.75 Lash It ridgeline from old hammock. Took a solid 2 hours, but I learned a lot. I think I can do it "right" next time.

Still have an "extra" flap of material in the end channel. Not sure what I did; I swear I followed directions. For about $25 I will be doing another when I figure out how to sew closer to the edge of a fold than 1/2"

Looking good! Digging the black...reminds me of my Voyageur, but without the beaks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast