Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5

20 degree yeti versus wooki

I've got a 20 degree yeti for my eldorado (+1 really lightweight hammock that I'm testing out to keep base weight down), and planning a flip flop AT hammock thruhike starting in north in April from Virginia. Average night time temps 35 degrees for first 2-4 weeks, with of course some lower swings possible. In my back yard and blue ridge test runs I've had some cold nights around 25-30, and woken up multiple times to adjust the yeti and overquilt. I added a 1/8 ccf pad mostly under my legs, which helped, but it bunches up over night as I move around (at least it doesn't fall out of the hammock like every other unattached item). Would it be worth it to either upgrade to a wookie (+ 8 oz of weight), or add an UQ protector (3-4 oz) for a bit more insulation for the first month? I'm already overbudget, although the same insulation may be helpful at the end of my hike (should I be so fortunate) in the fall GSMNP, etc. What I've found from my test runs is that there really is a steep learning curve, compared to ground camping, particularly when it is cold. I'm improving gradually so I think the yeti may still work, but if I have more than a couple of bad, cold rear end nights on the trail I know I will regret this.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Only you can answer how cold you want to sleep but if it were me I'd go full length and forget about the weight but that's me not enjoying be cold at all. You can then change back to your Yeti once the weather warms.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    I've got a used enlightened equipment full 30 UQ I bought as a package with my blackbird xlc. When you look at the fill distribution, though, it's inferior for covering my upper body.

I have both Yeti and Wookie, vastly prefer the Wookie.

In terms of the Yeti moving in the night the best I found was putting a tiny niteize biner in the zipper pull closest to my face and run Yeti suspension through it. Keeps it from popping under my outer shoulder.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    I added a 1/8 ccf pad mostly under my legs, which helped, but it bunches up over night as I move around (at least it doesn't fall out of the hammock like every other unattached item).
    Have you tried putting the pad inside your top quilt? Put the end of it in your footbox, maybe that'll help keep in place.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    For me, the Wooki is lightyears more comfortable than any partial underquilt and even any other underquilt I have ever used. Also, I would probably not be able to stay motivated to keep walking if I couldn't fully recuperate at night. Fighting with a foot pad and shivering occasionally wouldn't be my idea of a restful night. But you have to know what your priorities are. How important is a lighter backpack vs. a warm and uninterrupted night to you?

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Have you tried putting the pad inside your top quilt? Put the end of it in your footbox, maybe that'll help keep in place.
    I hadn’t thought of that, will give it a try. It’s a really lightweight EVA from MLD. I probably should just go with the 1/4 inch thick one, I was trying to save 3oz.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    For me, the Wooki is lightyears more comfortable than any partial underquilt and even any other underquilt I have ever used. Also, I would probably not be able to stay motivated to keep walking if I couldn't fully recuperate at night. Fighting with a foot pad and shivering occasionally wouldn't be my idea of a restful night. But you have to know what your priorities are. How important is a lighter backpack vs. a warm and uninterrupted night to you?
    I’m beginning to see that. There are so many posts (elsewhere) on UL backpacking it begins to seem like a foolish competition. Switching to a hammock is worthwhile even if I have to carry a bit more weight to be warm.

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    I’ll share a little insight as I own and use both a 20* Wooki and 20* Yeti. I’ve got over 30 nights in each, from temps in the mid teens to upper 50s. I backpack, and my main packs are around 40L. The Wooki is indeed “set it and forget it” easy, and is warm to its temp rating. The 20D quilt fabric is durable, so I don’t generally worry about abrasion.

The Yeti is a custom 10D fabric, with a ounce of overstuff. Crazy light at about 11.5 oz, and packs down small. I pair it with either the foam back pad from my GG Gorilla, or a folding pad from Dutch. I’ve had it down to 16* with a 20* top quilt, warm hat and Possum Down socks, and slept 10 hours pretty darn warm (toes were a bit chilly). I do worry about damaging the 10D fabric, so I’m extra careful with this underquilt.

While I prefer the ease of use of the Wooki, I find myself taking the Yeti along most of the time. It is also pretty straightforward to set up, with only a primary suspension. I’ve not experienced a great deal of quilt migration, but I do give each end an extra twist when attaching to the whipping ends of my Eldorado. If I want to leave it a little loose for venting purposes on warmer nights I don’t do this. This makes it easier to move for venting.

Honestly, it’s purely subjective, but for me if you backpack, and volume and weight is important, you can’t go wrong with the Yeti. If you’re only hiking short distances and like to lollygag like our boy Shug does, and weight and pack volume aren’t a big deal, then the Wooki is great.

Quote Originally Posted by baldknobber View Post
    I’ll share a little insight as I own and use both a 20* Wooki and 20* Yeti. I’ve got over 30 nights in each, from temps in the mid teens to upper 50s. I backpack, and my main packs are around 40L. The Wooki is indeed “set it and forget it” easy, and is warm to its temp rating. The 20D quilt fabric is durable, so I don’t generally worry about abrasion.

The Yeti is a custom 10D fabric, with a ounce of overstuff. Crazy light at about 11.5 oz, and packs down small. I pair it with either the foam back pad from my GG Gorilla, or a folding pad from Dutch. I’ve had it down to 16* with a 20* top quilt, warm hat and Possum Down socks, and slept 10 hours pretty darn warm (toes were a bit chilly). I do worry about damaging the 10D fabric, so I’m extra careful with this underquilt.

While I prefer the ease of use of the Wooki, I find myself taking the Yeti along most of the time. It is also pretty straightforward to set up, with only a primary suspension. I’ve not experienced a great deal of quilt migration, but I do give each end an extra twist when attaching to the whipping ends of my Eldorado. If I want to leave it a little loose for venting purposes on warmer nights I don’t do this. This makes it easier to move for venting.

Honestly, it’s purely subjective, but for me if you backpack, and volume and weight is important, you can’t go wrong with the Yeti. If you’re only hiking short distances and like to lollygag like our boy Shug does, and weight and pack volume aren’t a big deal, then the Wooki is great.
    Does it make a difference if you are a back sleeper vs side sleeper for the comfort in the Yeti? I have a Wooki and don't always enjoy it when I am side sleeping and my legs go just past the side of the UQ. This seems like it might not happen in the Yeti which would be a plus.

Thanks for your insite too on this, I just picked up a GG Gorilla and while volume isn't an issue I am always trying to get down a few more Oz to get closer to my ideal BW.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast