Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My sore arthritic hands thanks you! I can't wait to try these. Oh darn another Dutchware order is coming up.
    "Each of us has an Up North. It's a time and a place far from the here and now. It's a map on the wall, a dream in the making, a tugging at one's soul. For those who feel the tug, who make the dream happen, who put the map in the packsack and go, the world is never quite the same." Sam Cook, Up North 1986

Dutch, these are pretty much what I've been looking for for some time. How much would you have to charge for these if they were made from titanium?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Dutch, these are pretty much what I've been looking for for some time. How much would you have to charge for these if they were made from titanium?
    To each their own, but I'm curious what is the reason you'd want them in Ti since they'd be twice as heavy not to mention more expensive. The other "worms" are all aluminum and work great.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I would expect them to cost the same as a Tarp Fly which is $7.50
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    To each their own, but I'm curious what is the reason you'd want them in Ti since they'd be twice as heavy not to mention more expensive. The other "worms" are all aluminum and work great.
    Then one could argue that Fleaz should be made in aluminum. And maybe Tarp Flyz(?) And Stingerz... And Wasps... Just sayin'

Images
    Then one could argue that Fleaz should be made in aluminum. And maybe Tarp Flyz(?) And Stingerz... And Wasps... Just sayin'
    I didn't mean any offense. I was just curious about your reasoning, which you declined to provide. But that's fine, your choice in gear is none of my business and not every curiosity needs to be satisfied.

Cheers!
    Last edited by cmc4free; 02-22-2020 at 10:30.

Images
    Furthermore, you're probably on to something with your comment, though it may not have been your intention. All those you mentioned are tarp hardware and for the most part, aluminum would probably be adequate with the advantages of lower cost and lower weight. I guess it's possible the "wings" on all those hardware bits could be more prone to bending if they were aluminum. And the ringworm does have a similar wing, so perhaps that would be a justification for wanting them in Ti.

Furthermore, you're probably on to something with your comment, though it may not have been your intention. All those you mentioned are tarp hardware and for the most part, aluminum would probably be adequate with the advantages of lower cost and lower weight. I guess it's possible the "wings" on all those hardware bits could be more prone to bending if they were aluminum. And the ringworm does have a similar wing, so perhaps that would be a justification for wanting them in Ti.
    re the thing about aluminum probably being adequate for tarp stuff: I realized that when I was typing it.

But, yes, I would use them in much the way that I've used Fleaz and I do like the idea of durability. And you're right about the weight thing. With bigger hardware the ti can be thinner than the comparable aluminum piece but, for the small stuff, the current aluminum ones are already pretty thin. Ti versions couldn't really be thinner. Although all these pieces are pretty small, I also don't like non-anodized aluminum getting things black.

BTW, no offense taken.

Images
    re the thing about aluminum probably being adequate for tarp stuff: I realized that when I was typing it.

But, yes, I would use them in much the way that I've used Fleaz and I do like the idea of durability. And you're right about the weight thing. With bigger hardware the ti can be thinner than the comparable aluminum piece but, for the small stuff, the current aluminum ones are already pretty thin. Ti versions couldn't really be thinner. Although all these pieces are pretty small, I also don't like non-anodized aluminum getting things black.

BTW, no offense taken.
    Thanks for your reply. In retrospect, I actually feel a little silly even mentioning weight, as though it's an important factor in this case. Dutch claims a Ringworm in Al weighs 1 gram, and a Flyz in Ti weighs 2 grams. Would doubling the weight of a Ringworm or halving the weight of a tarp Fly really matter? One ought to be clearing their pockets of lint and trimming every centimeter of unused strapping off their backpack if that kind of weight difference is important to them.

Good point about untreated aluminum. I didn't think Dutch was anodizing those parts, but I've never noticed any oxidization staining from the Tarp Worms or Hook Worms that I've had for a couple years. Maybe I'll take a closer look.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 02-22-2020 at 13:40.

... One ought to be clearing their pockets of lint and trimming every centimeter of unused strapping off their backpack if that kind of weight difference is important to them.

And flossing. And making more pit stops. Maybe even an enema.

I'm definitely not a gram weenie.

I like Dutch's various bits that have "wings". That's why I welcomed the arrival of the Ringworm. I much prefer that method of cinching over the wrap one has to do with the various other worms.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast