Shoe size relation to foot box size and down compression

I just noticed that only Nunatak offers different sizes of foot boxes for their top quilts to accommodate different shoe sizes. If I wear a size 13 or 14 shoe, is that customization important or are most vendor's top quilt foot boxes sized correctly to prevent down compression. Not sure I need to worry about this, but I do get cold feet. This would be for a 0 or 20 degree quilt with a sewn foot box that will probably be overstuffed by 1 or 2 oz.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I wear a size 16 and use TQ's from several different vendors. Sewn, snaps, cord doesn't seem to matter that much to me. What I find that helps the most is placing my jacket down at the foot end of the hammock and placing my feet on that for extra insulation. I am on blood thinners and while I have adapted to being on them, every once in a while I will feel like I am freezing no matter what gear I am using. For times like that I carry hand warmers.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Pretty expensive quilts from Nunatak. I've never heard of them, and definitely never heard of footboxes according to shoe size.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maybe a custom foot box based on shoe size is just something that makes them stand out for the ultralight backpacker who wants the bragging rights. They do make some nice looking gear!

I did see this on the website, so get your order in while you can: https://nunatakusa.com/content/33-christmas-closure

Meanwhile, there's lots of cottage vendors here on HF that I'm sure will be able to accommodate your needs.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Can't say I've ever heard of customizing foot boxes to the size of the person. Perhaps as mentioned it for ultra weight savings. The only compression that matters is the part of the TQ that is compressed against the hammock and this happened to everyone. Usually the UQ covers the bottom of your feet or some people put a foam pad or down jacket like gunner76 under their lower legs and feet. I wrap my jacket around the foot end of my hammock in winter to trap additional heat.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I have a couple of their quilts and they are fantastic. Before making a decision on what quilt you buy make sure to look at all of their specs, they typically have much more fill than other comparably rated quilts on the market. The reason for the custom footbox is for your toes. If your toe is creating a point in your footbox then you have zero insulation value right there. If the footbox is made bigger to accommodate your toes it will drape over them nicely. It is not a UL thing, it's a warmth thing.

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    I wear a 14 EEE size shoe and always go for a no taper option with the hot box feature when designing a quilt from George. My problem is that I move my feet often at night and am also on blood thinners yet I have never had a single night of cold feet in one of his quilts. I also tend to bend my knees at night due to me trying to get comfortable with my bad knees. Since my heart surgery my right foot tends to swell quit a bit also so a large foot box will always be a requirement. If I had issues with compression then I would use a DIY reflectix foot pad under my feet at night.

• + New Posts