Kansas City Trip

A buddy of mine and I are considering going to Kansas City for three or four days, and looking to hammock camp at night. We are not familiar with the area at all and looking for suggestions on where we could possibly camp. Looking for dog friendly, car camping or very short hike, on the north or west side of Kansas City, or out maybe an hour or so.

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I grew up in Kansas City but haven't been camping there in 20+ years. And most of what I did was with the Boy Scouts. Naish Scout Reservation and Bartle Scout Reservation were the site of many camping trips. But they probably aren't open to the public.

Off the top of my head, Smithville Lake is 30 or 40 minutes north, and Clinton Lake is about an hour west (located just outside of Lawrence KS. Rock Chock Jayhawk!)

I'm sure there are lots of other places, but it's been many years. You might have better luck with Google than with my 50 yo brain.

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Weston Bend State Park has nice looking campsites & trails suitable for day hikes. Use the trails to get in hiking shape but have never used the campgrounds.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Move thread to midwest section to help get some responses on it.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Thanks for the suggestions.

We have been looking online and found some parks, but it's hard to determine if hammocks will work at the campsites. This trip is spur of the moment and we don't have a lot of time to figure things out. We are going to be spending the days in the city, so finding a suitable site after dark is an issue. We were hoping to get a couple nights in the hammocks, but maybe next time.

Clinton Lake has a primitive campground on the west side Called Woodbridge primitive park. It has a really nice 6 mile loop with hike in camping, perfect for hanging. It also has numerous car camping spots. One perk is it is free because it’s federal ground. They may close the gate for car camping, however it is still available for hike in camping. I have spent several nights there in both tent and hammock. Highly recommend this place.

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychosane1 View Post
    Clinton Lake has a primitive campground on the west side Called Woodbridge primitive park. It has a really nice 6 mile loop with hike in camping, perfect for hanging. It also has numerous car camping spots. One perk is it is free because it’s federal ground. They may close the gate for car camping, however it is still available for hike in camping. I have spent several nights there in both tent and hammock. Highly recommend this place.
    Woodridge (only correcting the spelling in case it helps in searching for information) has a loop that's a little more than four miles. It really is the nicest place for primitive camping that I've found in the area. The short hike in to the lakeside campsites makes it a great place to take my kids for an overnight campout.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    We ended up at Woolen Mill State Park for two nights last weekend. The park had a lot of day use, but there was only one other site occupied. The park caretakers were very friendly and helpful, and there were a couple sites that would work for hammocks there.

We did not explore the park at all. It was cold and rainy Friday when we got there, and we were in KC at the WWI Museum Saturday, and Sunday was warm and sunny and we leisurely packed up and went to the Jesse James Museum on the way out.

It was a good quick get away that was much needed.

• + New Posts