Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Where was your prettiest/favorite place to hang?

I stumbled on this picture by Wildgene just now, and it took me back. I have plenty of my own pictures of this spot, but I really liked this one. In Sept 2006, I was hanging in the trees down on the far side of this lake shore(Lonesome Lake) in the Wind River Mountains of WY.

I had been to these mountains many times in the past, but this was my 1st place to backpack anywhere, or even sleep anywhere, with a hammock. Not sure, but I think I might have been the first person(far as I know) to use a hammock backpacking these mountains and report it in this forum. If you will look in the upper right hand corner of previous pic, towards the top of the ridge, you will see a tongue of snow/ice in a deep cleft between 2 peaks, this is called Texas Pass. The previous night, I had been too sick with altitude sickness to make it over the pass, and had to camp beside treeless Texas lake, on the ground, so I was real glad I had brought my pads along. As shown in this pic(all following pictures are my own):

But by the next morning I had made it over the pass and dropped down to Lonesome Lake. I still was not good at pitching my HH Super shelter and tarp, I still had a lot to learn, but I sure had a glorious sleep compared to the night before on the ground. This night was in the trees on the far side of the lake in the first picture, as shown in this pic.

Here are some pics taken from about where I had my HH hung previous pic, looking around 360º:
    1: Looking back(west) towards Texas Pass(out of sight, up towards the right, north) and where we had come from, with Pingora Peak to the left:

Pingora from my HH hammock:

2: turning left(south) a bit, and looking across Lonesome Lake(I caught some big cut throat trout there!) towards War Bonnet Peak, all of these peaks part of The Cirque of the Towers:

3: Turning left(east) a bit more, across Lonesome Lake, towards Mitchell Peak.

4: I don't have a pic, but if I had turned left a little more, I would have a pic of Lizard Head Peak. This lake is right at 10,000 ft, and all of these peaks rise up about another 1800 to about 3000 ft of sheer cliffs from the lake. Hence, Cirque of the Towers.

BTW, this was approaching Texas Pass from the other side, from where I had to bivouac at Texas Lake the night before:

And this was earlier that day, approaching Texas Lake and Pass, at Shadow Lake. The other side of these peaks is Lonesome Lake and the Cirque of the Towers:

And this was on Texas Pass, looking ahead to War Bonnet Peak middle/rt(south), Mitchell Peak left, Jack A** pass between them, and Lonesome Lake(can't see it) at their foot.

This is the trip that hooked me on hammock camping 13 years ago, and I have never looked back since then. I had a couple of rough nights, first night nearly froze at 22ºF(learning curve/user error), 3rd night had to go to ground, but other than that I had more deep, comfortable sleeps than in the best bed, in the midst of this beautiful country.

Anyway, I have not been back to these mountains in quite a while. Maybe this fall or summer? I hope so.

So what about Y'all? What is the most beautiful place you have hung? Or just your favorite for whatever reason? Or maybe what was your first trip that hooked you on hammock camping?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-11-2020 at 18:07.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Cannon creek lake, Pineville KY

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    Cannon creek lake, Pineville KY

Man, that looks like a great spot! And with kayaks!

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Man, that looks like a great spot! And with kayaks!
    It was gorgeous! Wish I hadn't dumped all my pics in the cloud, there are some amazing spots there!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    8X10 Flat Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ & Top Quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    20190713_181305.jpg
    20190713_183642.jpg
    This was off I-90 E in Washington. One of my first solo backpacking trips. I found a lil area that gave me JUST enough room to setup my hammock, chair, and cooking kit on the side of a long that was shortly followed by a drop straight down off the side of the mountain. Had a small stream very close as well- had to do a lot of hanging onto trees and such to maneuver around without falling down the hill- but so worth it for the view from my hammock!

20190714_081516.jpg
    This was the view the next morning as the clouds lifted out of the valley.

And I can't leave out my camping buddy- Jango!
    20190713_185249.jpg

Definitely one of my favorite hangs so far!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20° Wookie
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Shirts lake, above cascade Idaho. One of my favorites. It's so hard to choose Idaho is full of epic hang locations!

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

Always find it hard to top the Savage Farm campsite on Flagstaff Lake up in Maine that we used for the Mystery Paddle-In Hang.
    Open, cleared pine grove on a small bluff, you can see out across the lake from almost every tree-pair, eagles, loons, sunsets with great viewing rocks along the shore.... tough to beat.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I stumbled on this picture by Wildgene just now, and it took me back. I have plenty of my own pictures of this spot, but I really liked this one. In Sept 2006, I was hanging in the trees down on the far side of this lake shore(Lonesome Lake) in the Wind River Mountains of WY.

I had been to these mountains many times in the past, but this was my 1st place to backpack anywhere, or even sleep anywhere, with a hammock. Not sure, but I think I might have been the first person(far as I know) to use a hammock backpacking these mountains and report it in this forum. If you will look in the upper right hand corner of previous pic, towards the top of the ridge, you will see a tongue of snow/ice in a deep cleft between 2 peaks, this is called Texas Pass. The previous night, I had been too sick with altitude sickness to make it over the pass, and had to camp beside treeless Texas lake, on the ground, so I was real glad I had brought my pads along. As shown in this pic(all following pictures are my own):

But by the next morning I had made it over the pass and dropped down to Lonesome Lake. I still was not good at pitching my HH Super shelter and tarp, I still had a lot to learn, but I sure had a glorious sleep compared to the night before on the ground. This night was in the trees on the far side of the lake in the first picture, as shown in this pic.

Here are some pics taken from about where I had my HH hung previous pic, looking around 360º:
    1: Looking back(west) towards Texas Pass(out of sight, up towards the right, north) and where we had come from, with Pingora Peak to the left:

Pingora from my HH hammock:

2: turning left(south) a bit, and looking across Lonesome Lake(I caught some big cut throat trout there!) towards War Bonnet Peak, all of these peaks part of The Cirque of the Towers:

3: Turning left(east) a bit more, across Lonesome Lake, towards Mitchell Peak.

4: I don't have a pic, but if I had turned left a little more, I would have a pic of Lizard Head Peak. This lake is right at 10,000 ft, and all of these peaks rise up about another 1800 to about 3000 ft of sheer cliffs from the lake. Hence, Cirque of the Towers.

BTW, this was approaching Texas Pass from the other side, from where I had to bivouac at Texas Lake the night before:

And this was earlier that day, approaching Texas Lake and Pass, at Shadow Lake. The other side of these peaks is Lonesome Lake and the Cirque of the Towers:

And this was on Texas Pass, looking ahead to War Bonnet Peak middle/rt(south), Mitchell Peak left, Jack A** pass between them, and Lonesome Lake(can't see it) at their foot.

This is the trip that hooked me on hammock camping 13 years ago, and I have never looked back since then. I had a couple of rough nights, first night nearly froze at 22ºF(learning curve/user error), 3rd night had to go to ground, but other than that I had more deep, comfortable sleeps than in the best bed, in the midst of this beautiful country.

Anyway, I have not been back to these mountains in quite a while. Maybe this fall or summer? I hope so.

So what about Y'all? What is the most beautiful place you have hung? Or just your favorite for whatever reason? Or maybe what was your first trip that hooked you on hammock camping?

Hi everyone. My favorite most beautiful hang spot was in Sedona AZ near Cathedral Rock
    2ADFD320-E4DB-4B9F-8E25-5C4B2CEB37C1.jpeg

5B0AE525-0396-4858-B6EA-2A1426A5C06B.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tyroler Holzhacker; 01-16-2020 at 09:53.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    The area is known as Red Rocks Crossing just west southwest of downtown Sedona.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    My favorite thus far as been the campsite at the top of Pharaoh Mountain in the Adirondacks. The top of the mountain is a windy place, but the campsite is tucked into a perfectly situated little niche that is sheltered from all but the occasional stray breeze. And a short walk in almost any direction yields some fantastic mountain-top vistas. Although it involves a decent climb to get there, it is well worth the effort! And many of the campsites down along the lakes can be really beautiful as well.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast