Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle

Extras I carry on trips...For cold conditions = Best usage?

On trips I carry my UQ , Woobie, poncho, Top Quilt , space blanket tarp thingy (Grommets and nylon web, SOL I think) and a real fist sized space blanket ( Cheap and thin), plus my Tarp ECT.

If it gets to cold for my 40f equipment where would the Woobie poncho and Space blankets be best used????

I was thinking reinforced space blanket tarp under me over the UQ (Reflective heat) and the woobie on top, with the poncho over the hammock ridgeline. Possibly the paper thin space blanket over me also if needed? Hope I do not ever need to. All this assuming the tarp is almost to the ground to eliminate/ minimize any wind.

I ask because of condensation issues, but I may be missing something too. Why the redundancy, I'm on a motorcycle. I have different needs and I can carry it.

I appreciate the ideas in advance,

B

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    In my experience the woobie performs best when inside another bag. Not sure about the rest. I have gotten a 40 deg setup down in the low 30s with some good warming layers on my body and correct tarp setup to block wind.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like you could for sure get condensation in that set up....especially from the space blankets. Maybe warm but moist.
    I tried them a lot in my hammock infancy and was always damp.
    Went to properly rated sleeping bag or top quilt and UQ and then was warm and DRY.
    Keep testing and shoot for good dry warmth as it gets colder.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I see any option that includes the space blankets as a sweaty mess, and an emergency only option.

Putting the blanket under the underquilt pretty much assures that your clothes, hammock and underquilt are going to be damp and leaves you vulnerable to compressing the underquilt and rendering it close to, if not entirely useless.

Same goes for putting the space blanket over your top quilt. Your clothes and top quilt will be damp/wet.

There is a Vapor Barrier thread going for a while... hit the search bar. There are a few VB pros exchanging ideas there (I'm not one of them). I would think that if an emergency situation arose where your insulation was insufficient, and the space blankets were your only option for additional warmth you would put them directly over your clothed body, between all of your hammock/insulation layers, thereby creating a micro-climate within your insulation. Your clothes are going to be damp for sure, but with the VB concept, that is expected. Be prepared for a chill when you first exit the rig in the morning, change right away or hope for a quick dry. Smile because your top and under quilt and hammock will remain dry.

Candidly.. I would seek warmer insulation options.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I see any option that includes the space blankets as a sweaty mess, and an emergency only option.

Putting the blanket under the underquilt pretty much assures that your clothes, hammock and underquilt are going to be damp and leaves you vulnerable to compressing the underquilt and rendering it close to, if not entirely useless.

Same goes for putting the space blanket over your top quilt. Your clothes and top quilt will be damp/wet.

There is a Vapor Barrier thread going for a while... hit the search bar. There are a few VB pros exchanging ideas there (I'm not one of them). I would think that if an emergency situation arose where your insulation was insufficient, and the space blankets were your only option for additional warmth you would put them directly over your clothed body, between all of your hammock/insulation layers, thereby creating a micro-climate within your insulation. Your clothes are going to be damp for sure, but with the VB concept, that is expected. Be prepared for a chill when you first exit the rig in the morning, change right away or hope for a quick dry. Smile because your top and under quilt and hammock will remain dry.

Candidly.. I would seek warmer insulation options.
    OK THEN, this all seems to be a good plan. I hope to never need to do this. I only asked so I would have the best plan ahead of any chance I experience this scenario. Not something I ever plan to do. Just want to know what to do.

Thanks for the Vapor barrier search suggestion. All I need to know and wanted to know on the subject and more.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Yeah, that thread is nearing 400 posts. Might want to start at the end and work backwards!!

Maybe one of the few folks driving that thread will weigh in here.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts