Dutch Half-Wit and 20 others
    Tarp
    HG 12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    All of them

Amok Draumr XL in the Snow - Winter Testing ~14°

I know the Amok is a bit of a love / hate situation with the hammock crowd, but whether you're truly curious, or just want to poke some fun at it - here's some testing I did with the Draumr XL, Amok Fjol sleeping pad, and Amok Borg tarp in the White Mountains. I had 3 days of decent snow with a low of 11° (14° while actually in the hammock) recorded on my thermometer. While this isn't crazy cold for New Hampshire, it is 6° beyond the Amok system's recommended minimum temp in it's standard config, so it made for a reasonable test scenario.

For those not interested in the full movie, the mornings are at minute marker 19:00 and 1:00:00. That's were the most hammock footage is.

The rig did quite well. Other than answering nature's call, I never stirred or woke up due to cold spots, comfort etc on either night. For top insulation I ran a Hammock Gear Burrow Zero top quilt with a light micro fleece hat. I typically find bottom insulation to be the weakest link for winter hammocking, so I was pleasantly surprised by the Amok pad's performance. It's probably the most solid sleep I've gotten on a snow camping trip.

The tarp had a bit of sag due to snow load by dinner time on the second day, but after a bit of re-tensioning it was good to go for the rest of the trip. It should be noted that I had all of my guy lines attached to small tress and tree limbs, so that most likely exaggerated the sag a bit. Despite the consistent snowfall, I had the tarp pitched fairly high to test the coverage and the hammock stayed snow-free. Granted, this was in only mild winds. In higher winds I'd pitch it down more to thwart sideways snow and more importantly, heat loss.

To compare warmth and condensation, I ran it without the bugnet on the first night and with it on the second night. Deploying the net on night two didn't create any frost or condensation issues. The only real difference was maybe a little extra warmth due to the net acting as a mild wind break.

Much like 3-season, if I'm on a trip with mild elevation gain and / or low mileage, I wouldn't hesitate to bring this rig again in the winter. For more intense trips where every ounce matters, I'll grab my trusty Dutchware Half-wit and call it a day.
    I'm that guy from YouTube that likes to walk around in the woods and talk to a camera... Check me out on Youtube, Sintax77.com, Twitter or Facebook

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I saw the notification from YouTube that you had posted a new video. I didn't see what it was about until I read this.

Really nice write up Sintax. Although I don't have a Dramur (yet), I am mildly obsessed with the whole thing. I'm going to watch your vid tonight with my wife, because I think a Dramur XL would be perfect for getting her back into camping.

Images
    Thanks for the great report with very useful info! Particularly interesting about such great results with a pad that only has a R3 rating, I believe. It sounds like you were at a minimum adequately warm to 14ºF, which most likely means you could get at least a few degrees more before actually getting chilled. Not bad at all! That pad only weighs a few oz more than a full length 0ºF UQ, and you won't have any concerns about having a perfect adjustment or adjustments changing as you change positions, there will not be any gaps.

Also, you had zero wind block with that super wide tarp pitch. Looks like you didn't have much wind to bother with, but even 1 or 2 mph needs to be blocked or it can be noticed it with an UQ. So all things considered, this seems like some fantastic results to me.

Did you have any condensation or sweat problems on the pad?

That Amok looks really comfy. Good video, good test, good info!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-09-2020 at 18:04.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Sintax77 View Post
    , so I was pleasantly surprised by the Amok pad's performance. It's probably the most solid sleep I've gotten on a snow camping trip.
    that's awesome to hear. I've got a synmat 9 for my draumr, which is rated to -25c, was curious how the Fjol would do.

that's a pretty legit low temp you saw, well done

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit and 20 others
    Tarp
    HG 12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Did you have any condensation or sweat problems on the pad?
    I gave it a once over each morning and the only evidence of condensation I found was a minor bit around my foot area after the second night. This can probably be attributed to the fact that I was lazy and didn't swap out my damp smart wool socks for dry ones before bed. In retrospect, I would have actually expected to see a bit more condensation in the foot area, but this was probably more of a testament to breathability of my HG quilt. It seems to do a nice job of breathing moisture up and away from the pad while sleeping. The first night with dry socks didn't show any signs of condensation on the pad.
    I'm that guy from YouTube that likes to walk around in the woods and talk to a camera... Check me out on Youtube, Sintax77.com, Twitter or Facebook

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps
    Nice! I'm mildly interested in one of these. As someone that finds getting comfortable in a regular hammock difficult, this might be the trick.

I've watched both your and Shug's videos on the Draumr XL. I'm 6'2" and was initially thinking about ordering an HH Explorer Delux XL paired with a JRB The Nest to cover my colder months (I've never had a bottom entry hammock before and the design looks like somethign I would appreciate/enjoy. However, the Draumr XL is really catching my eye with it's ability to convert to a chair with ease....

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Draumr are great!

the ultralight nerds don't love them, but that's ok, they're no fun to hike with anyway!

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by USCAV View Post
    I've watched both your and Shug's videos on the Draumr XL. I'm 6'2" and was initially thinking about ordering an HH Explorer Delux XL paired with a JRB The Nest to cover my colder months (I've never had a bottom entry hammock before and the design looks like somethign I would appreciate/enjoy. However, the Draumr XL is really catching my eye with it's ability to convert to a chair with ease....
    Might be able to do the standard Draumr. I had the original and wished for more legroom. Tried the latest regular size, same design as XL, but regular length and it was great. Didn't want the bigger one. I'm 6'1", 195#

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Might be able to do the standard Draumr.

the advantage of the regular size draumr is that you can use any commercially available pad of the right dimensions. the draumr XL requires the Fjol XL, which is a fine pad, but you have more cold weather options in the regular size

and I suppose more hot weather, uninsulated options too (or lesser insulater maybe better term)

that being said, Sintax got his Fjol down to well below its rated temps, so that's always good

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast