Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Kind of hard to say, and it's going to vary from situation to situation. Each tree (and therefore each strap) is going to be under a different load depending on the respective length of each leg and the weight of the person hanging from it. I don't believe the forces will equalize just because the center point where the straps come together is not fixed. Then again, I could be wrong. I am an engineer, but more of a practical or intuitive one than one who's great at drawing free body diagrams and doing calculations. Perhaps that means I'm "not a very good engineer."
    Your intuitive is correct. The strap load should equalize. This is the movement issue discussed above. One person gets up, and the other two drop, changing the individual hang angles until all is equal.

Perhaps that means I'm "not a very good engineer." --- It means manager or consultant.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Could just wrap the spiderwebing around the tree and attach connect it to its self using a 12kn carabener. No ratchet needed.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Perhaps that means I'm "not a very good engineer." --- It means manager or consultant.
    Ain't that the truth. But no, that's not me either. In fairness, I CAN do free body diagrams and calculations, I just don't really enjoy doing so... not unless the OP is willing to pay my consultancy fee.

So are you saying if the proposed suspension setup was used: randomly spaced trees, different lengths of daisy chain meeting somewhere in the middle, different weight hangers from each of the 3 legs of the suspension web, that the tension on each strap just in front of its tree would be equal for all 3 straps? I'll believe you if so. I don't have a strong intuition on that one, and I certainly haven't done any of the math to prove/disprove.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Could just wrap the spiderwebing around the tree and attach connect it to its self using a 12kn carabener. No ratchet needed.
    That's essentially similar to what he initially proposed in post #1, although he drew it with a tree hugger connecting to the daisy chain with a carabiner. Your suggestion here is simpler, though might require daisy chains longer than 12' if the expected trees are really that far apart.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    Economy Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Having the extra length daisy chain would be great to just wrap around the tree and attach to itself, but the whole point of this was to cut down cost, though I don’t see that happening anymore haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    If you hang the hammocks individually, you could just use the ratchet straps as they were meant to be used. Just ratchet the strap a few turns so the strap does not slip through the ratchet and make sure you still have about a 30 degree angle. I have seen ratchet straps at Menards for about $2 each. I would still larkshead the straps and the hammock continuous loops to the hooks so they do not fall off (imho a larkshead knot is very useful for a lot of things). Or just use the long strap and look up on this forum about how to tie a quick-release knot in the strap to adjust your hammock height. Either way it will get you hanging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12