Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question Seam sealing question.....

The tarp I just got from the RSBTR fire sale needs to be seam sealed so I bought this :

IMG_20200107_154925.jpg

The directions on the back say it needs to be done above 60° and I'm wondering what the consequences will be if it's below that temp. It's obviously too cold and windy to do it outside this time of year, and my basement is below 60° as well. Would I be able to use a hair dryer on its low setting to help it cure properly, or is that a no-no ? I've only ever seam sealed a tarp once before and it was with the water based Coughlins sealer that Wal-Mart sells. I really don't wanna mess this up because it didn't cure is the right way then have a brand new tarp leak in me and have to strip and reseal the whole thing ya know? SO, any tips or suggestions would be a huge help ! THANKS!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would go by what they recommend.
    Just seam sealed WB Superfly I bought for my nephew. (Yes, I always seam seal even if they sat no sealing needed)
    Kept my studio heat cranked to ensure a good and non sticky dry.
    Can you do it in your home...you could even do a bit t a time. It really is not that smelly.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    How about an electric space heater in the basement to warm it up a little? The Permatex stuff I use doesn't smell at all if I recall and always use it indoors.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    It will not seep into the seams as much, so the adhesion and waterproofing isnt as strong. It takes longer to dry and stop being sticky too. The thinner (vs goopy) your sealer is less affected.
    If its 40 out, it will still work, but keep it warmer and you'll have a better job.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up

I do have a space heater I can use that I totally forgot about, excellent idea. It can go all the way up to like 90° or something crazy like that so it should stay warm enough down there no problem. That should dry the air out some which will also help right? I know my basement can get pretty damp sometimes, especially if we have been doing a ton of laundry or its been raining a lot. Great ideas guys, thanks! Anything else that I need to know?
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It's up to you how you do it, but some people go crazy with 1" wide brushes going way past the stitching, throwing corn starch all over it, my god! A simple bead of sealant over the thread will do. Push it in with some force to get into the needle holes. Once it cures there should be NO stickiness, so I never understood the starch thing.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I was wondering about that as well, I remember reading posts which said they did that kind of stuff. I was just gonna use the little brush it came with and make sure it was warm enough down there lol. The Coughlins sealer I used on my Chill Gorilla hex and Old Man Winter had stiff bristles on top of the bottle that seemed to work "ok-ish", but this sealer is obviously waaaay better I take it yeah?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    I was wondering about that as well, I remember reading posts which said they did that kind of stuff. I was just gonna use the little brush it came with and make sure it was warm enough down there lol. The Coughlins sealer I used on my Chill Gorilla hex and Old Man Winter had stiff bristles on top of the bottle that seemed to work "ok-ish", but this sealer is obviously waaaay better I take it yeah?
    Just spread the fabric at the seam well with fingers of one hand and paint and push it on in with the other.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I very well could be wrong, but I set up the tarp and tension all the tie outs and pullouts just like when I use the tarp and then seam seal it. I thought I read somewhere that this helps open all the holes so the sealer can flow in. I would rather the sealant cure in the places that would leak when it is set up, instead of stretching the seam sealant when I set it up, if that makes sense.

I wouldn’t worry about your basement being colder. I would just make sure that the tarp and seam sealer were in the warm part of the house until you started, especially the seam sealer because temperature has an impact on how thick it is. But the cold may make it take more time to cure so just let it dry longer. I have sealed tarps in the garage during the winter and just let them cure for a few days.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast