WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing

Tree Strap Materials

Greetings fellow hammockers! I’m looking to get a new hammock (probably Dutchware Chameleon) to replace my trusty old WBBB that my teenager has claimed as his own, and I’m thoroughly confused about some of the new tree strap options.

My background and needs:
    - I’m knot a not guy. Not a knot. Knot a guy? Dammit, been watching too many Shug videos and my brain is scrambled.
    - I am a light weight backpacker but not quite a gram weenie, so weight is definitely a deciding factor for me.
    - I’ve used buckles (too heavy for me), marlin spike hitch & whoopie slings, (works well for me), and the older Dutch buckle that replaces a marlin spike hitch (also works well for me).

I’ve been looking at several options from Dutchware:
    - UHMWPE straps
    ? Compatible with Spider buckles or other straps?

- Spider Web 1.5
    ? Not compatible with any buckles, but could use w/whoopie slings
    ? Durability
    ? UV resistance
    ? Something about they get crinkly and need to be rolled for storage

- Spider/Poly Straps
    ? Seems like pretty standard tree straps that I’ve been using, just maybe a tad bit lighter

- Kevlar 3.3
    ? UV deteriorates its strength and causes color change... doesn’t seem like that great of an option unless you replace them every year or so

What else am I missing? I’m leaning towards the Spider Web 1.5 but surprised that I couldn’t find many long term reviews of those straps.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've been using the same Dutch Kelvar straps for over 50 nights. I do not baby them.
    I wrap them around the tree, through the sewn loop in one end and Marlin spike hitch to Dynaglide Whoopie slings. I weigh a bit under 200#.
    I did buy a spare pair a little while back, but they are still in their package.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Spider poly straps are OK (in fact, designed as such) for buckles. I would not use buckles on any UHMWPE or Kevlar options.

I have Kevlar 3.3 straps that I have been using for almost 2 years. Yes, UV degrades them, but they get very little UV exposure because they're not left outside in some sort of permanent or semi-permanent deployment, such as a hammock in the back yard.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie / Bandit
    I have tried many different setups. For backpacking and camping I use 15' long Kevlar 1.9 straps from Autumnultralight. I connect them to my hammock's continuous loops with a Beckett Hitch. UV degradation is not a concern for me as they have minimal sun exposure while backpacking. For base camping or my backyard hangs I use Spider/Poly straps with Beetle Buckles.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetruck View Post
    - I’m knot a not guy. Not a knot. Knot a guy? Dammit, been watching too many Shug videos and my brain is scrambled.
    Thought that was funnier than you're getting credit for.

No experience with the straps you're looking at, though. I use some pretty basic 2" tree huggers (Dutch seatbelt or DIY) and DIY amsteel UCRs. Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    For simplicity, I'd recommend your spider or woven straps and a light weight (but strong enough) carabiner (like WB sells). For cake icing and to keep your saved income at a sub 1%'er level you could invest in Dutch Clips for the tree side connection and just biner into the strap loops (daisy chain) and your hammock ends.

I've used the simplicity of daisy chain for years. you can just feed the strap through its end loop at the tree to eliminate one piece of gear (Dutch clip; advantage: probably results in higher credit rating).

One downside on those straps - sort of a feature and a bug - unlike some daisy chain straps, the spider loops are symmetric. That means they close when under tension. Other designs make their loops a little larger on one side so they are always open,. That adds bulk and weight, but it is always easy to clip in. With the spiders/woven, You need to create some slack and there is just a tab more "fuss factor" in getting the biner in the loop.

Sometimes the "step" - usually around 5 inches - in the loops is too much. I've remedied that by putting and Amsteel loop in the mix. I can fold it so it allows a Half-Step adjustment.

I've used them for years but next summer I may go back to webbing just for a change and the ability to make a continuous adjustment. One of my adventure partners won't budge from the daisy chain. She uses it for her (my) Ridge Runner and says the simplicity outweighs anything else.

Note that I tried Whoopies but the extra length overhead, the fussing in snow/cold/freezing rain, and the hassle of unweighting to adjust the bury was too much trouble. Mostly it was the extra length requirement. By myself, I could find the trees I need. But when camping with others - some ground dwellers - in order to stay together I have to take what I can get. That might mean a 9 foot distance for a 10 ft hammock. Pretty tight.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    From my experience Spiderweb 1.5 is slippery, tends to curl up like rope under tension & that makes it harder to roll up when packing up. If your don't mind those characteristics it's strong & light.
    Last edited by ofuros; 01-08-2020 at 14:47.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by ofuros View Post
    From my experience Spiderweb 1.5 is slippery, tends to curl up like rope under tension & that makes it harder to roll up when packing up. If your don't mind those characteristics it's strong & light.
    Do you recommend Spiderweb? Do you really need to roll it up or can you just squish it into a ball and stuff it in a pack? And is it sufficiently tear/abrasion resistant for routine tree bark scuffs? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetruck View Post
    Do you recommend Spiderweb? Do you really need to roll it up or can you just squish it into a ball and stuff it in a pack? And is it sufficiently tear/abrasion resistant for routine tree bark scuffs? Thanks
    I like Spiderweb. I always roll it up because it takes up less space that way. Spiderweb is sufficiently tear/abrasion resistant: I've been using my Spiderweb straps and beetle buckles for a couple of years and they look good as new.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    I like the spiderweb 1.5, using it with a simple marlin spike until I get more experience and move to no hardware. The only issue i’ve found besides the rolling up is how hard you sometimes have to pull to untie, which I thoght would be easier given how slippery it is.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast