WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings

Fuchsia and Hunter Green UQ for RR

Just finished my Climashield APEX 5 oz/sq yd synthetic under quilt for my Ridge Runner hammock.

Took it out for a spin in the local park where it was 45 degrees with a constant 10 mph wind. I was very comfy with only a lightweight fleece. I think I could have gone even colder (despite the fact that I sleep cold). The 5 oz Climashield is rated at 30 degrees which is the bottom temperature you can survive at.

The fabric is 1.0 oz. HyperD diamond ripstop nylon in Fuchsia and Hunter Green from Ripstop By The Roll as is the Climashield. This way I can blend in with the green side out or announce my presence with the pink side.

It's 75" x 40" and has 1/4" grosgrain loops at each of the 4 corners. On the head end, I added mini-biners. On the foot end, I added about 6-8" of shock cord and then mini-biners. It stuffs into a 19" round by 22" long fuchsia sack I made with leftover material (to distinguish it from all the other rolled items I have).

I'm surprised how well it wraps around the RR and conforms to the shape. I sort of would have liked it to be about 2" wider on either side but I think if I did it wouldn't fit so well. I expected it to come up over the edge, especially with the cat cut of the hammock but I didn't see that. I could add shock cord on the head end but I like that the insulation comes over my head. After giving it a real test in the wilds, I might add a few inches but I might not bother. I also expected to need some weird shape since the RR has cat cuts and the spreader bars are 40" and 29" but a rectangular UQ fits surprisingly well.

I cut the fabric out by clipping both pieces together so they would be the same size. I then sewed them all around leaving a 10" gap at the foot. I then sewed the Climashield to the fabric leaving the same 10" gap. It was pretty easy to sew the insulation (on top) because I only had 2 pieces to sew together. I then pulled the fabric through the hole and stitched the hole closed. Added 2" long loops of 1/4" grosgrain on each corner. The sewing went very quickly. The most difficult part was cutting the fabric and insulation because I have no place to lay it out flat but was using a 2' x 4' table which made the cutting take forever.

I'm surprised how thin it actually is because I expected it to puff out more. When I made my down TQ and UQ they were enormously puffier (but then they were designed as zero degree quilts). It doesn't compress as well as down (but I expected that) but I'm satisfied with how well it packs.

I'm going to declare this project a win.

IMG_9424.jpeg

IMG_9425.jpeg

IMG_9426.jpeg

IMG_9430.jpg

IMG_9431.jpg

IMG_9432.jpg

IMG_9433.jpeg

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    I'm making a double 7.5 oz climashield under quilt for gathered end. How hard was it sewing the climashield to your shell?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Nice job! I love the fuschia color...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    It was very easy. The only issue I had was the fibers inside the two outer sections of the Climashield would try to escape. I just poked them back and all was well.

I wish you well with double 7.5 because that's going to be on the thick side so you may have a bit more difficulty that I did. I'd be interested in hearing what issues you encounter in case I decide to make a thicker synthetic quilt.

Good Luck

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    It was very easy. The only issue I had was the fibers inside the two outer sections of the Climashield would try to escape. I just poked them back and all was well.

I wish you well with double 7.5 because that's going to be on the thick side so you may have a bit more difficulty that I did. I'd be interested in hearing what issues you encounter in case I decide to make a thicker synthetic quilt.

Good Luck
    I have had issues with thickness. And just me being stupid - Those 2 layers had been a little challenging trying to visualize this inside & out. apparently that's where I'm challenged is visualizing something in a spatial setting.

Anyhow this is where I'm at right now;

I have both of the climashield layers sewn into the shells and I now have three of the four perimeter borders sewn with the fabric for the channeling on the inside.
    My biggest challenge so far has been visualizing how the channeling needs to fit I've had to rip the stitches out twice and I still manage to screw up one side. The one side that I can't remove the stitching on has already been triple stitched and that's a pain in the butt trying to take out of the climashield.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I'd love to help but I'm not sure I'm following your situation.

What I did was to sew both top and bottom fabric together (you should do this right side in but I don't care). Then I stitched my Climashield to the fabric. I would assume you could do this in a single step or stitch one layer of Climashield and then stitch a second layer of Climashield on top of it.

Then I turned everything inside out (or to be more exact, right side out).

I then added my 4 connection points. I didn't feel I needed channels for mine because the test fit showed it was unnecessary for my bridge hammock. You could add channels at this point. It may not be quite as pretty as integrating the channel between the fabric but it's way easier.

Let me know if this helps or if you have questions about the instruction steps.

Good luck

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    I am good but thank you kindly. I stitched each climashield layer to it's matching shell - ie one to one then stitched both halves together inside out as you mentioned. 3 perimeters totally done last one 4/5 finished with just enough room to pull through.
    My issue was the channeling. I conceptualized it wrong probably due to my being tired. I will "burn" entry holes into the channeling now only so I can test it out on my trip and then make more permanent repairs once I get back.
    The sheer bulk of both layers made stitching both sides together very challenging and hence slow and painful.
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts