Haven Tent
    Tarp
    Walmart blue tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DIY straps.
    Images

Haven Tent (air mattress bridge hammock hybrid)

Has anyone at HammockForums participated in the Kickstarter campaign and received one of these? I'm intrigued by the design, which looks as comfortable as my Amok Draumr XL. Perhaps Shug won't be able to resist trying one out, and I can enjoy another of his unique review videos.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nts/haven-tent

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4z...vZL3BnA/videos

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Haven Tent
    Tarp
    Walmart blue tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DIY straps.
    Images
    Dang. I wouldn't have posted a duplicate thread if my forum searching skills were better. Thought I had been the first one to bring up the Haven Tent here. Sorry! But I would still like to see Shug do a review of one...

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I think it's an interesting concept

An inline draumr almost

Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    JacksRBetter Nests
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I backed this on kickstarter and it arrived yesterday. I slept in it last night indoors on a tensa stand.

My initial impression is that it is made like a tank. I have 6 or so hammocks from a variety of makers and this is the most heavy duty.

It’s clear a lot of thought went in to it. I really like the organization features and the end vents.

The good news is that it really is the flattest lay of any hammock I have ever been in. If you have issues with pressure on your knees, your feet, calf-ridge etc, this is now a solved issue. If you want to sleep on your side, that is no problem. That’s exactly how I slept last night. And quite well.

However, for me personally, there are a couple issues. This is my first bridge hammock, so this may be typical of the genre, but I am a bit outside its specs. I am at its weight limit and 6’7”. I figured there would be some wiggle room, but there isn’t. I you are over 6’4” you will have to sleep on your side so you can bend a bit.

Second, the bridge lines down the sides are super rigid and the hammock is relatively narrow, so where the various foot-end issues with gathered end hammocks have been completely addressed, at the head end, at least for someone my size, laying on your back is like being squeezed into an unforgiving sheet metal box. But that’s ok because I wanted to sleep on my side anyway. I don’t think stomach sleeping is really an option unless you are much smaller or at least narrower.

I hope they or other vendors do more with this design. I might try a larger pole at the head end.

For me, and I’m not of average size, I would like to see a version of this maybe 4 inches longer and wider at one end and made with some of the lighter weight materials we’re used to seeing from DH, Warbonnet, SLD, etc.

Oh, one other thing, the pad is pretty thick. If you find yourself needing to sleep on the ground with just trekking poles to hold up the ends, you will do so comfortably. It would be a bit like a bivy because it is so narrow, but still quite capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools. --John Muir

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Sounds great, and since it is obviously too short, and hence totally unsuitable for one of your generous stature and much better suited for someone less gargantuan, like myself, I get first dibs on a used Haven

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    you have enough!

I feel like a direct comparison to my (specifically mine) draumr should happen.

it's -39 here, we can really put their pad to the test!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gfranxman View Post
    I backed this on kickstarter and it arrived yesterday. I slept in it last night indoors on a tensa stand.

My initial impression is that it is made like a tank. I have 6 or so hammocks from a variety of makers and this is the most heavy duty.

It’s clear a lot of thought went in to it. I really like the organization features and the end vents.

The good news is that it really is the flattest lay of any hammock I have ever been in. If you have issues with pressure on your knees, your feet, calf-ridge etc, this is now a solved issue. If you want to sleep on your side, that is no problem. That’s exactly how I slept last night. And quite well.

However, for me personally, there are a couple issues. This is my first bridge hammock, so this may be typical of the genre, but I am a bit outside its specs. I am at its weight limit and 6’7”. I figured there would be some wiggle room, but there isn’t. I you are over 6’4” you will have to sleep on your side so you can bend a bit.

Second, the bridge lines down the sides are super rigid and the hammock is relatively narrow, so where the various foot-end issues with gathered end hammocks have been completely addressed, at the head end, at least for someone my size, laying on your back is like being squeezed into an unforgiving sheet metal box. But that’s ok because I wanted to sleep on my side anyway. I don’t think stomach sleeping is really an option unless you are much smaller or at least narrower.

I hope they or other vendors do more with this design. I might try a larger pole at the head end.

For me, and I’m not of average size, I would like to see a version of this maybe 4 inches longer and wider at one end and made with some of the lighter weight materials we’re used to seeing from DH, Warbonnet, SLD, etc.

Oh, one other thing, the pad is pretty thick. If you find yourself needing to sleep on the ground with just trekking poles to hold up the ends, you will do so comfortably. It would be a bit like a bivy because it is so narrow, but still quite capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just got one in the mail from Derek and set it up and just laid in it a couple of hours. Totally agree with your statement above that I highlighted. I'm going to suggest he try to make it wider at the head end as I too felt a bit squeezed.
    Though I must say it is pretty cool and I can't wait to set it up as a ground bivy as I think that is where it will shine.
    It'll be easy enough to use lighter biners and seems no problem to use a tarp of your choice. Not messed with the included rainfly yet but it seems fairly small side to side.
    At least it is something different.

Threw a pad with baffles running head to toe to try and now I know it has to use a pad with side to side baffles like it comes with. Makes sense after trying.
    Looking forward to playing with it some more.

But yes...just a bit wider for arms and shoulders would be my first suggestion.
    And because your on a pad the sides of your arms are right against the hammock fabris so getting the TQ under your arms will be needed for warmth.
    Seems possible to add a UQ but it would still need the pad. Tried laying in it without pad and it was clear you need the pad.
    Shug

IMG_5296.jpeg

IMG_5297.jpeg
    Last edited by Shug; 01-31-2020 at 19:27.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBRR,Dutch Argon1.6
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. That's way too cheap. Scam?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast