Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick2world View Post
    Looks like the Haven Tent owner finally got this URL banned. Suckers gonna have to find the next URL with the $28.96 version!

As their scam got old, I did note that this website raised the price to $48.96 - I guess they gave up on naive, and decided to go for absolutely brain-dead shoppers before the gig was up.

When they were buying the Haven Tent from this website, I wonder if purchasers looked at the URL. Juming Fashion Mall? Shouldn't that set off a few alarms?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    When they were buying the Haven Tent from this website, I wonder if purchasers looked at the URL. Juming Fashion Mall? Shouldn't that set off a few alarms?
    However, if you did a scamrate search the site comes up with a "Probably Legitimate" rating. Also, if you used Paypal you can get a refund via their purchase protection program.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Also, if you used Paypal you can get a refund via their purchase protection program.
    Did you get a Paypal refund? I had heard that this scam involved getting the purchaser to use "Friends and Family" in Paypal, which is not refundable. Friends and Family should only be used for (you guessed it) Friends and Family. Otherwise, you should use "Goods and Services." You are screwed if you used "Friends and Family."

Nothing wrong with getting suckered. My 89-year-old father-in-law fell for the "your granddaughter is in jail" scam. They told him that his granddaughter wouldn't get out of jail until he went to CVS and purchased $2,000 worth of phone cards. I can't even imagine how he fell for this scam. The police tell you you need to go buy CVS calling cards to get your granddaughter out of jail and this doesn't set off a few "scam" alarms in your brain?

My father-in-law had to go to 2 or 3 CVS stores to get $2,000 worth of calling cards. Then he gave the scammer the codes for each card - bye-bye two grand! Once the scammers figured out how gullible he was, they said they needed another $2,000 in calling cards to release his granddaughter. That's when I got involved - I told my poor father-in-law that, HELLO, he had his granddaughter's phone number and could have called her anytime to verify if she was in jail, but it never occurred to him to call her, or her mother, or me.

I called my daughter immediately and she said, no, she hadn't been arrested. So we called the police, reported the incident, and they said there was no way my father-in-law would ever see his $2,000 again.

Scams like this always prey on our basest instincts - fear, or greed, or a "too good to be true" deal. And what is the success rate? I'd be highly surprised if scams like the Haven Tent scam have even a 2 to 3% success rate.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 05-09-2020 at 01:16.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Did you get a Paypal refund? I had heard that this scam involved getting the purchaser to use "Friends and Family" in Paypal, which is not refundable. Friends and Family should only be used for (you guessed it) Friends and Family. Otherwise, you should use "Goods and Services." You are screwed if you used "Friends and Family."
    Actually I used goods and services because the hammock didn't qualify for Friends and Family, since they weren't. And still aren't. Even if it is a HUGE corporation that charges exorbitant fees on the ebay side, I have a personal conviction that using Friends and Family when not applicable is basically lying or stealing. And that always brings me around to Revelations 21 and 22, and other scriptures. Just having figured saving a couple of bucks is worth it. I actually haven't received the refund yet as the seller has until May 18th to justify to Paypal the scam. He was scammer enough to finally send me a tracking number. But when I ran the tracking number it was for a package that had gone China post to some place in Albania and had been delivered a while ago.

Unfortunately, I've had other life lessons from dishonest individuals that run upward of over $1.5K involving dishonest ebay merchants, e.g. chainsaw and tractor head. Plus a Craigslist diesel Mercedes station wagon that was so mildew/mold infected that I got back in the rental car and headed home and he kept the earnest money.

I've also had the over payment check scam several times on Craigslist for stuff I'm selling. What I've learned to do is play along being careful not to lie, I specify it must be an overnight FedEx delivery for the check. My satisfaction is the fee they have to pay for the overnight delivery. Not much, but it is a little satisfaction.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Thought I would close the loop on this. Today Paypal honored their refund policy and I was reimbursed for the scam. Albeit, I must say it has been a very length process with generous Paypal time frames. The scammer actually sent me a GE hammock from China last week. To which I promptly replied it was the wrong hammock. So in the end, a refund and a hammock with bugnetting, and hopefully a wiser individual. Ok, maybe a tinsy winsy wiser.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Nice to hear you got a refund.

Hammock
    Haven Tent
    Tarp
    Walmart blue tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DIY straps.
    Images
    Update for me and the Haven Tent: I bought one and have slept in it every night since it arrived in early January. It's a game-changer for my sleeping comfort, the quality and length of my sleeps, and the amount of dreaming I experience while sleeping. This is all despite the fact that it is somewhat narrow for me, so at times I do find my arms a little restricted when they are down by my sides. I have ordered a Haven Tent XL, which should arrive in May. I anticipate being even more pleased with that version. It is a lot more convenient to get into and out of than my Amok Draumr XL.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njolsson View Post
    Update for me and the Haven Tent: I bought one and have slept in it every night since it arrived in early January. It's a game-changer for my sleeping comfort, the quality and length of my sleeps, and the amount of dreaming I experience while sleeping. This is all despite the fact that it is somewhat narrow for me, so at times I do find my arms a little restricted when they are down by my sides. I have ordered a Haven Tent XL, which should arrive in May. I anticipate being even more pleased with that version. It is a lot more convenient to get into and out of than my Amok Draumr XL.
    All of that is very encouraging, I too have an XL on order for May, I can't wait!
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll take my Haven out a time or two this coming year. I kinda like it and it is different. Lightened mine with whoopies and one of my own tarps for more coverage.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    All of that is very encouraging, I too have an XL on order for May, I can't wait!
    Did you get your XL and have a chance to try it out? I'm interested to hear more about it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123