Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. That's way too cheap. Scam?
    Indeed, looks like a knock-off.

Wow, that was fast!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    My guess is that it's not a knock-off but a complete scam. They'll take your money and never ship anything. There have been fraudulent offers like this for a couple of other hammocks including the Amok Draumr in the past.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBRR,Dutch Argon1.6
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips
    My guess is that it's not a knock-off but a complete scam. They'll take your money and never ship anything. There have been fraudulent offers like this for a couple of other hammocks including the Amok Draumr in the past.
    I think you’re right. It’s most likely a scam��

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick2world View Post
    I think you’re right. It’s most likely a scam��
    I like it, people even more cynical than I am!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I thought for the price I would take the risk. Here in a little while you can either beat me with sticks for being a fool, or I'll let you know how happy I am. What's that old adage about a fool and his money?

Perhaps this will be an excellent opportunity to see if Paypal protection is the real deal.
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 04-15-2020 at 20:49.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    This scam was identified on HF over six months ago. I can't believe people are still falling for it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    This scam was identified on HF over six months ago. I can't believe people are still falling for it.
    Well, I would reckon they, the ones still falling for it, most likely don't know it is a scam or not sure it is a scam but are willing to take the risk with paypal protection plan covering for them. Just guessing, of course. What we really need is the clairvoyant and prescient among us to promptly sound the alarm preferably in advance of the scam going live.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    What we really need is the clairvoyant and prescient among us to promptly sound the alarm preferably in advance of the scam going live.
    You don't need to be clairvoyant when the scam was identified over six months ago. About six days ago on Kickstarter, the owner of the real Haven Tent said, "About a week after we launched Haven Tents we started seeing these bait and switch scams pop up. They use our images and video but ship a cheap gathered end hammock.

We have shut down about 50 of these sites so far. But they just keep coming!!"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-tent/comments

I'm kind of curious why these scammers seem to be interested in products that originate on Kickstarter, like the Amok Draumr or the Haven Tent. I suspect that the scammers feel that people who use Kickstarter are already naive, and therefore more easily scam-able. A quick search of the Internet shows that you can buy a Haven Tent without pad from the Haven Tent website for $245, so why would that same company sell the Haven Tent on some strange-looking website for $38.96? Unless they are intentionally trying to put themselves out of business, they wouldn't.

https://haventents.com/products/fore...nt-without-pad
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-16-2020 at 23:05.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Sorry that I need to reiterate the point, but regardless when and if it was identified as a scam, if a person isn't aware of it being identified as a scam, whether it is six months or six years ago, then you if you are not aware that it was a scam then don't be so surprised. Scams happen all the time on various site, e.g. Craigslist and ebay; emails, e.g. prince from African country needing help or phishing; telephone calls giving folks a great deal on construction projects; or snail mail scams. One should be astonished that no matter how long they have been operating it is possible to bump into an new and unsuspecting mark. Maybe this will help you get over your surprise. As they say "feces happens".

This is even more difficult when the websites that evaluate scams, e.g. scamrate, list the site as "Probably Safe. The website is new and we don't have enough data:...etc."

Regarding knockoffs, it happens all the time too. Someone takes the initiative, time, and expense to come up with a stellar product and the next thing you know there are knockoffs galore, many and mainly from unscrupulous Chinese companies. That is a small part of the intellectual theft by the Chicoms. I suppose you might be surprised this still happens too.

Of course there is another possibility, the vendor has simply priced his items out of the market. Last week I purchase a couple of aluminum rings for a Rohloff bike hub made in Germany from a bike vendor in the UK because it was less than half the price shipped as compared to the vendor here in the U.S. who must have thought they were made of Rareminium. Sure I like to do business with U.S. vendors, but I'm not bending over so a fellow citizen can take advantage of me. Is this germane? Sure, think about what it takes to make a hammock...a few square feet of fabric and the ability to sew. Nike loves to keep kids, and Ulyghur muslims slaves, busy sewing shoes and marketing them at quite a mark up.

Some scams are even sponsored by your friendly government, e.g. Lotteries, duping the unsuspecting marks out of billions. Hey, I will lay the odds of my getting my $40 back from Paypal is a lot higher, nope astronomically higher, than po' Bubba and Betty Sue being scammed as they clutch their wrinkled lottery tickets and hold their breath waiting for Uncle Sam to call their sacred numbers.
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 04-17-2020 at 19:58.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Scamming issue aside, it looks like a cool concept. If the real Haven manufacturer could come up with a lighter fabric, a design that could accommodate other pads (like a Neo Air), and sell it as a hammock with optional pad & tarp, he might be on to something. Adding doors to his current tarp would also be a worthwhile option.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast