WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

RR updated corner configuration

Curious if anyone has received a Ridgerunner with the new “updated corner configuration” (where the spreader bars go right into the dogbones instead of the metal end plates). Surely Brandon shipped a few dozen RR’s for the holidays so there’s gotta be a few new style ones out there by now. How’s it working out? Do you think it’s better than the metal end plates? Thoughts and impressions? Any concerns about wear? Would love to hear any feedback.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I must start with a caveat; I'm not a RR owner and not even a bridge hammock user, however I've gotten to see a RR up close and have actually used one of Just Bill's Town's End prototype hammocks. So I have slightly more expertise than your average earthworm.

That said, IMO the 'soft connection' is vastly superior to the metal plate arrangement.

The soft connection is of course lighter, and it also better balances the forces on the spreader bars because the suspension cord (looks like Amsteel) and hammock webbing automatically 'find' their own natural load angles (I'm also not an engineer, so my terminology is probably not correct.) When I first looked at those metal plates I got the immediate impression that they also imparted a bit of a side load on the spreader bars, which to me explains some of the reports I read about the failures of lighter carbon fiber spreader bars. In pure compression, carbon fiber can handle astonishingly heavy loads... but add to this a small side load and it can buckle lickety-split.

As a side note, I always wondered why the plates weren't bent (just past the spreader bar connector hole) at an angle that created a straight run from the plate back to the common meeting point for the suspension cords. This would have gone a long way toward alleviating that awkward force on the spreader bar ends.

So with this soft connection arrangement I think you'll see far fewer reports of spreader bar failure. With JB's hammock, I made and used a set of extremely light (3.6oz for the pair) spreader bars and they worked fine.

An obvious advantage is weight... getting rid of those metal plates is going to reduce it a lot.

Another advantage is that it eliminates direct heavy forces between metal and cord/webbing. No doubt, WB has not had any problems (warranty/liability) with wear/failure in this area, but even so it must be considered where heavier users and shallow hang angles are concerned.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    I bought a DL Dreamtex fabric RR during the Black Friday sale. I love my first RR and wanted to try the new fabric. I was happy to see that my RR had the updated corner configuration.

I haven't slept in it yet, but I have set it up and used it a few times. I think the only con I can muster is that it might be slightly longer (a second or two at most) to get the spreader bar pole tips into the hole in the line vs the hole in the metal plate. I have no concerns about wear or use. If anything, like pointed out by cmoulder (and a few others in earlier threads), this connection should be stronger than the plate and bear the load more directly onto the poles. I am confident the design is now better and it's just a tad bit lighter, so that's nice too.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    I now have had a RR hanging for a few weeks, and have had no problem with the updated connection. The spreader bars appear secure and stay in place. No experience with the old version.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Hey gang. Having just bought a WBRR with the old configuration I'm a little concerned. Does this mean I've got a problem waiting to happen? I'm 210+ Lb easily.

If there is a problem, wouldn't it be relatively easy to stitch up a loop to eliminate the metal piece?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    The only "problem" with the original/older (metal end plates) style is that they weigh a little more than the newer / updated corner configuration where spreader bars insert into dogbones.

I don't see any need to replace my original version RR with this newer design, although you might ask if Brandon can make this switch if you want the newer version for weight reasons.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    HomesteaderWB - I've had a RR for years and it has worked fine. My guess is, the new design is more of an advantage for the manufacturer (less parts, less steps) than "product improvement". Sure, it makes the RR a little bit lighter - but if you are concerned about minimum weight (like the UL mind set) you wouldn't be using a RR anyway. Also, I have never had a problem with undo stress on the spreader bars. It can happen when people try to shorten/modify the suspension length of the lines that go out to form the triangle at the ends. But I haven't ready any failures with an unmodified RR.

I did buy some little rubber covers that slide over the metal brackets but those could be easily made with a few scrapes of bicycle inner tube.

The RR surely has a different feel than a GE design. It is so comfortable that my adventure partner always prefers it - so I get very little use myself but she loves it.

I think you should just use your WBRR as designed and you will be very happy with it.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    That's good to read; thanks guys. I tend to like things that are solidly built, even overbuilt, so I was glad to see I got the metal pieces. Definitely not an UL-er here (my preferred pack is a waxed canvas ruck!).

Cmoulder, what spreader bars are you saying have a problem with failure? The "far fewer" make me think this has happened alot. Being a ridgerunner owner, This statement has me alittle concerned as if i am missing some known issue.

"So with this soft connection arrangement I think you'll see far fewer reports of spreader bar failure."

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by campnfish View Post
    Cmoulder, what spreader bars are you saying have a problem with failure? The "far fewer" make me think this has happened alot. Being a ridgerunner owner, This statement has me alittle concerned as if i am missing some known issue.

"So with this soft connection arrangement I think you'll see far fewer reports of spreader bar failure."
    Well Ok "far fewer" might have been a bit rash. But here's one from a quick search. Here's another from a few years back. And another a few posts below that.

And to my speculation about the plate flexing the poles, WB/Brandon addressed this in the same thread.

My apologies, because I'm not a basher and I try to remain fact-based and actually test things.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast