Modernizing an Old Codger

Hi, I've posted here before, but this seemed like the best place to start again. I've used a Hennessey hammock off and on for years. It took me a long time to figure out why I was cold all the time. This forum helped me fix that problem. For a number of years after I got the hammock sorted out, I used it primarily on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. For mountain or desert camping I used a bivy sack. However, now that I'm interested in using the hammock again, I find that the world of hammock camping and technology has exploded. Whoopie slings and hooks and Dutch Flyz and all kinds of suspension techniques and doodads. It's a little bewildering, honestly. I use lashings and taut line hitches. That's about it. But, I kind of feel like I'm missing out.

Is there a good summary of modern hammock/tarp techniques and suspensions available? I seem to recall buying a book about hammock camping written by someone on the forum. Is there a modern equivalent that covers all these fancy lines and "what knots"? (Sorry, couldn't resist.) I'm going to add a larger tarp to my setup, but may invest in some other gear while I'm at it, if it makes life easier. There seem to be some pretty fancy bear slings and such available too. Man, what happened in the world while I was out wandering?

-Kokomodo

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    The absolutely best way to learn about it all is to check out Shug on YouTube! He has a hammock for noobs, and it is a wealth of information!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Here is part one from Shug
    https://youtu.be/d7NZVqpBUV0

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kokomodo View Post
    Hi, I've posted here before, but this seemed like the best place to start again. I've used a Hennessey hammock off and on for years. It took me a long time to figure out why I was cold all the time. This forum helped me fix that problem. For a number of years after I got the hammock sorted out, I used it primarily on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. For mountain or desert camping I used a bivy sack. However, now that I'm interested in using the hammock again, I find that the world of hammock camping and technology has exploded. Whoopie slings and hooks and Dutch Flyz and all kinds of suspension techniques and doodads. It's a little bewildering, honestly. I use lashings and taut line hitches. That's about it. But, I kind of feel like I'm missing out.

Is there a good summary of modern hammock/tarp techniques and suspensions available? I seem to recall buying a book about hammock camping written by someone on the forum. Is there a modern equivalent that covers all these fancy lines and "what knots"? (Sorry, couldn't resist.) I'm going to add a larger tarp to my setup, but may invest in some other gear while I'm at it, if it makes life easier. There seem to be some pretty fancy bear slings and such available too. Man, what happened in the world while I was out wandering?

-Kokomodo
    For what it's worth... I've been hanging for only a bit over 2 years but have come full circle with the early fascination with doodads and am back to using knots and hitches for almost everything. Exception is underquilts where the linelocs are very handy for shock cord adjustment. But for tarps and for hammock suspension, for me this metal bling does not offer any advantages over the small selection of knots and hitches that I use.

What is important for we "knot-heads" is using good cord that holds knots well, not slick stuff like Zing-it or other Dyneema/UHMWPE cords. My personal preference is Lawson Glowire and Guywire because they hold knots extremely well and have a bit of stiffness that greatly reduces tangling.

So, in my very humble (and extreme minority) opinion, you're already "doing it right," although there's nothing wrong with loading up on shiny knick-knacks just to see for yourself.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Sometimes if below 25* I’ll use a zero set of quilts and a twenty set of quilts stacked and nested to stay warm
    Watch Shug’s ten part series on YouTube How to Hang a hammock, tarp, pads, quilts etc

Go to a couple group hangs to see all kinds of gear rigged with hardware and or knots-hitches
    You will see ideas you can use

If you are up in a hammock now, you are already doing great

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Not a hiker but a hanger for about 10 years. Outfitted 3 Grandboys. We have over 20 hammocks amongst us. For us, we have came to the conclusion that simple is best. Less carp to keep up with. Opinion only, bling is like having chrome teeth. Shiny but not necessary. Our bling consist of a few 9s & beaners.

You may be thinking about Derek Hansen's Ultimate Hang- now Ultimate Hang 2 book.

Yes! I still have that book around somewhere. Very useful.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    kokomodo - Keep an eye out on the trip planning forum. There are regular group hangs in Sipsey Wilderness, usually early Spring or late Fall. Everybody is very friendly and we love to show off our setups.

Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    ...have come full circle with the early fascination with doodads and am back to using knots and hitches for almost everything.
    +1 on this. My suspension of choice these days is 12 foot tree straps becket hitched to loops on the hammock ends. I'm trying to simplify my tarp setup as well, though I have to admit that the Nama Claws I just added to the continuous ridgeline are, IMO, easier to use than the prussic loops they replaced.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts