What was your most memorable canoe trip?

My most memorable canoe trip was the final leg of a self-powered trip across Maine that I took with a friend in May/June of 1991. We started out on bicycles in Portsmouth, New Hampshire (just south of the southern tip of Maine), crossed into my home state via a bridge, then rode our bikes for three days to reach Sugarloaf Mountain. From there we hiked the Appalachian Trail and logging roads to reach a friend and a fully stocked canoe at Telos Lake. From there, we paddled the Allagash and Saint John Rivers to reach Madawaska, Maine and the northern border with Canada.
    The trip took 24 days and was one of the coolest trips imaginable. It was something I just cooked up from looking at a map and realizing it could be done — the best kind of trips seem to happen that way.
    AND
    What was your most memorable canoe trip?
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Source: https://canoesurfer.net

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Summer of '88: took 8 weeks off after purchasing a new 4Runner in the spring, modified it (suspension, tires, Yakima rack) and a new Sawyer Autumn Mist. Headed out at the end of June; first stop was La Verendrye, then to the Allagash (start @ Chamberlain Bridge). Next to Nova Scotia (Peskowesk Lake route), then up to Cape Breton for a few days of camping and day hikes. Hopped the ferry to Newfoundland (Gros Morne National Park). There was 6 days of heavy rain but I still got some hiking. My two tents and everything else got soaked so I ended up sleeping in the back of the 4Runner. Regretably, I ended up bailing at that point, foregoing my plan to travel to Labrador. Instead I headed back to Maine, spending some time in Acadia before finishing up with a 5 day trip on the Oswegatchie in the ADKs. It was a memorable summer of solo paddling and camping.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Back in 2009, Phil Brown, Editor of the Adirondack Explorer, decided to challenge the "navigable-in-fact" laws concerning the public's ability to use private land and waterways. I watched this case for several years, and when the court ruled in favor of Brown that the public could use the private Brandreth Park waterways, I was ready. The court rulings were in my favor so I had the right to cross the Brandreth land. Subsequent rulings have shut down the public's ability to cross the Brandreth land, but when I went, it was legal.

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...appeal-process

I had scoped out the 22-mile traverse between Little Tupper Lake and Lake Lila and knew much of the route, but there were a few miles I had never seen. The paddle was extremely remote and I think we had to cross six or seven beaver dams. We also had a 1.75 mile portage and a few shorter portages as well. On some of the portages, we encountered mud up to our waist. Needless to say, I had never taken a canoe trip like it, and I had a blast. Both my sons came with me and a couple of friends as well.

So in 2014, we completed that Little Tupper to Lake Lila traverse. I doubt more than five or 10 people ever completed that route.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ight=lake+lila

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ight=lake+lila

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    The one where we didn't bring SPAM.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Great report!! Thanks for sharing!!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Summer scout trips to OBA Lake Ontraio. We'd catch the Algoma Central at Hawk Junction and ride it into the bush to be let off at a mile marker. It was just us and the lake for a week. Many many memories. One was rigging sails on a windy day and sailing 3 canoes abreast down the lake hooting and a hollering like pirates. Another was when I was 15 and a storm blew up on the lake and I and Paul W. (13) had to spend the night in the bush. Built a survival hut against the weather, caught a Northern and roasted him on a stick over a flint and steel struck fire. Didn't know anything was called bushcraft we were just taught real well by HB Pence, USN Ret. who at 23 was Captain of an LST during the Ohama Beach landings. Some great memories.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Super fly
    Insulation
    Quilt
    Images
    A couple of years ago I spent 10 days paddling a loop on the west side of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Great weather, calm waters, a bear in camp one morning, an eagle grabbing a fish ten yards from my boat and the perfect rock to drink scotch from. Ridgerunner hammock, Souris River Tranquility canoe, clear skies, light breezes and good scotch.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly Silpoly
    Insulation
    JRB top and bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    First time in a canoe my buddy had me sit up front and I weigh about 100 lbs more than he does. We were on Lake Pokegama and it was quite choppy that evening. I had my wallet and cellphone in my pocket and didn't think much of it at first. After a very short time we realized we had it all wrong and had better stay near the shoreline. The waves seemed to pick up quite a bit and so we started looking for a place to land. We could see the neighbors on the shore line with concerned looks on their faces as the canoe was leaning forward severely. Waves were coming at us from the side as we hugged the steep shoreline and with no landing in sight we decided to turn around back toward his property. Needless to say turning was quite difficult, but we did it. For some reason we just started laughing uncontrollably as we realized how difficult it was to go back the other direction. I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe and at the same time I was quite scared as we were taking on a considerable amount of water with each big wave. My main focus was to not end up taking a dip in that cold water but hearing my friend maniacally laugh behind me only increased both my laughter and terror. Luckily we were able to paddle back to shore eventually and land that canoe. For some reason seeing those neighbors with such serious faces as we struggled only made me laugh harder. It was a completely absurd situation to find myself in and I will never forget it. Absolutely zero thought went into that short trip and it was a lesson learned.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I think my most memorable trip was in the mid to late seventies. A group of men I went to college with paddled down the Eel River in north central Indiana for about 40 miles Memorial Day weekend. We had so much fun we decided to keep doing it. We have paddled that weekend for 4-5 days since. We have paddled more than 35 rivers in 9 states. This year will be our 43rd annual adventure. We have each seen in our lives births, deaths, divorce, degrees, career changes, but most of all, we have seen each other. For some of us it is the only time we see each other. There are 12 of us from 6 different states. While we have experienced some wild rivers, that first in our young adult lives really started something special. We call ourselves the Canoebie brothers.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts