Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

VA-gt-Mt-Rogers-Winter-Hang-lt-January 23 through 26

Mt. Rogers - The Original Cold Weather Hammock Hang.
    Celebrating Our 14th Year!

The Grayson Highlands Winter Hang, sometimes called The Mt Rogers Winter Hang, started in Jan 2007, with a group from the original founding members of Hammock Forums.
    We did the first few of these hiking in to the Wise Shelter.
    Cold hike.jpg Fire.jpg

Eventually we moved the location of this winter hang to the Group site area of GHSP.
    They have always taken very good care of our group and we try to return the favor by respecting the park Rangers, staff, other visitors and the park.
    Hick All Hands.jpg
    The story behind changing locations for this winter hang site can be found in tales around the blazing group fire!

The Mt. Rogers Winter Hang happens because people volunteer to do stuff! It organizes itself on a Google Spreadsheet.
    Please register on the Google Spreadsheet. It helps greatly with planning.
    There are two parts to the spread sheet...
    Attendees, general info
    Pot luck, raffle donations

REGISTRATION SPREADSHEET HERE. Updates to come. Check back often.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...R6c/edit#gid=0
    Two parts to Spread Sheet... Sign in and Food/ Raffel

The sheet is set up so you can change your answers at any time if your plans change or if you need to add or delete information. It is more or less self-explanatory, but don’t hesitate to ask questions. Expect it to change substantially, so check back shortly before the hang.

All costs, the group site, fire wood and port-a-john are covered by the raffle.
    Tickets to the gear raffle are sold in camp. Bring cash to buy as many tickets as you like!
    $5 per ticket or 5 for $20

I don't believe that the raffle has ever failed to exceed (by far) what GHSP would have charged for the group site as well as take care of the port-a-john and firewood. In fact the raffle proceeds we have donated to the park through "Friends Of Grayson Highlands" have been generous.
    We love giving back to such a beautiful state park, especially since they have treated our group so well.
    In the the event we were to fall short of a worthy donation to cover our event, we would hope individuals would help add to the donation but I don't believe that has ever happened.

Vendors Sales: People often ask if vendors will be selling at group hangs. The answer is no. The vendors have discussed this and say it's not something they want to do.
    But you can see their hammock setups, tarps, quilts, etc. any time during the weekend and during the hammock tours.

Some vendors make raffle donations but they have been so overwhelmed in recent years that we try not to press them.
    Also, adds a lot to the raffle when those making the trip to contribute new or gently used things to the raffle prizes.

There is always a pretty nice bunch of stuff on the raffle tables!

A Ranger from GHSP has been selling us local firewood for several years now.
    He even stackes it near the fire ring!
    Please do not bring firewood from areas infected by the Emerald Ash Borer. http://emeraldashborer.info/

No need to stop at the ranger station or pay a parking fee. They know we're coming!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Wonder what it's like to do a winter hang at Grayson Highlands State Park/ Mt. Rogers Area?

Mt. Rogers can be an interesting place in winter! Over the last few years, she's given us some eventful times...to say the least.
    We have had a couple events were it was not so cold but rainy.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ds+winter+hang
    Group.jpg

A couple years ago the in coming blizard was so intense, the rangers made the decision to close the park and send our group else where.

But for the most part, the conditions have been perfect for a "Winter Hang".
    If you're looking for a challenge with a bit of a safety factor (because the cars are near by), pack your rig and join us Jan 24-27. You're guaranteed to leave with a story or two!

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

Organizers: Hickery, slowhike, LD Cakes and anyone else that wants to help.

829 Grayson Highland Lane, Mouth of Wilson, VA 24363

GHSP Office (276) 579 7092

Parking is available at the store and also near the permanent bathroom, a short walk from our hang sites and the fire ring.

The AT goes right through the park for fantastic day hiking or backpacking before or after the hang.
    Lat,Lon 36.63974,-81.487355.

Camping (hanging) is in the area around the group camp site and beyond he pavilion, same as last year.
    Most of our group are hammock campers but we often have a person or two join us with their tent. That is not a problem.
    Everyone is welcome.

Note; One year a few of our folks ventured into the main part of the campground to set up their hammock camps. That is not allowed. We are asked to use the wooded areas surrounding the group site and pavilion only. But there is more than enough room to spread out or be near camp central.

More links:
    Park Information- https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-p...yson-highlands
    Park Weather and Web Cam... does not seam to be working.
    Freinds Of Grayson Highlands State Park- does not seam to be working.

Trip Report from 2017 with great pictures and videos!

USE EXTREME CAUTION ON PARK ROADS - If weather is snowy or icy, please be extremely careful on park roads.
    Even if there is no snow,there may be ice on blind curves where water drains across road and then freezes.
    The park plows the roads in the case of snow but driving can still be tricky on steep roadways.
    Two wheel drives usually are fine as long as caution is used you have decent thread on your tires.
    Go slow, be safe. People behind you will appreciate your safe driving.

SCHEDULE of EVENTS – This hang is less structured than some others. Some people will post about hikes or backpacking overnighters on the AT.
    Most will start arriving Friday afternoon through Saturday morning but some will arrive on Thursday, sometimes doing an overnight backpack trip on the AT.
    Take part in a hike or you can just hang at the pavilion.

Saturday evening is potluck dinner and raffle.
    Bring some food or drink to share. Can be simple purchased items or food you prepared at home or in camp. But remember in can be cold and windy so be prepared to cook in those conditions.
    See spread sheets.

Sunday morning people start packing to leave. Some plan to meet at the restaurant about 15 minutes away, for breakfast.

All other meals are on-your-own, but they have a communal feeling, as people cook around the group fire near the pavilion.
    A big tarp provides coverage for the fire pit area. Hickery has it.
    In addition, it’s nice to have 3 or 4 tarps on the windward side of the pavilion. Sign-up on the Google Spreadsheet if you can bring one.

GENERAL INFORMATION
    Family-Friendly Event: We pride ourselves on being a family-friendly camping hang. As an advertised family friendly event, we ask all hangers to use appropriate language and actions in front of our young people. Kinda like Hammock Forums itself so not a big deal for our group.

The Winter Hang is a great way for beginners to try winter hanging. Your car is parked next to the hang spot so you can bring as much gear as you need to stay warm. There are experienced hangers who can show you how to improve your winter hang. Plus you will see all the latest and greatest equipment that winter hangers use.

Bathrooms, Showers, Water in the camp ground are closed for winter. But Hickery has a Porta Potty brought in and sat up in the parking area nearby.

Bring your water from home or get water at the park office.
    In colder conditions, water can be kept from freezing by keeping it in a cooler, maybe with a jug of hot water, heated on stove or fire.

Covered Pavilion: Yes! – it is used mostly for the raffle, though you can cook meals under the roof if you’re neat. (It’s warmer around the fire ring.)

There's no better place to see winter hammock gear in action.

Many thanks to the people who make this happen. And to the people who attend who make it worth organizing. This is Hammock Forums' oldest winter hang!

slowhike
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    I'll be checking in several times a day to answer any questions. It's too early to get a feel for the weather yet. EARLY ! All I can guarantee is the wind will blow. There's an endless supply of trees to get away from the breezes. Plenty of veteran cold weather hangers will be there for advice. We all look after each other to make sure it's a safe event. I'll have a sign in sheet and will issue parking passes. We keep a big water pot by the fire ring and a big tarp ( Son of Blue) to provide additional weather protection. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making some new ones.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I am registered. Ready to get some hang time in.
    It ain't always about hammer'n out the miles....Sometimes it's about just 'hanging out"!
    Loner

Images
    I'm in. (please ignore these obligatory additional characters to meet the minimum requirements for an acceptable post)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Looking forward to this one. I'll be there Friday.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If you aren't already familiar with getting notifications from this planning thread and want them, go to the top of the thread and click on "Thread Tools"
    Then choose "Subscribe to this thread" and choose how you want to be notified.
    I choose "Instant Email"
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Ah... better men than I.
    I see no reason to come down off one mountain in January to go up another [in a chillier zone]. I shall think fondly of you folks "toasting"[shivering] around a roaring[guttering] campfire, and checking your toes regularly for frostbite... that is unless I have nodded off in the warm comfort of my recliner whilst contemplating the view.

~Ted/Flash the Unchallenged SuperWinterWIMP
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Ah... better men than I.
    I see no reason to come down off one mountain in January to go up another [in a chillier zone]. I shall think fondly of you folks "toasting"[shivering] around a roaring[guttering] campfire, and checking your toes regularly for frostbite... that is unless I have nodded off in the warm comfort of my recliner whilst contemplating the view.

~Ted/Flash the Unchallenged SuperWinterWIMP
    You're getting soft in your old age.�� . Will miss you pal. You live in a beautiful place !
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Hope it's like it was 4 years ago!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Fingers crossed L.D
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast