Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question Line Lock Hook question.....

Yesterday I ordered a tarp ( from another vendor) that uses 1" D rings on the corners and got 4 Line Lock Hooks to attach my lines to it. My question is this : will the hooks work with the 1" D rings or is that too large? I know they work with ½ inch d rings, just wasn't sure if 1" is compatible as well. I probably should have asked before I ordered them and 50' of 2.3mm reflective line hu ? Lol. If not, is there a creative work around or some sort of modification I can do to make them compatible with each other ? I've got some regular line lock 3's that I could splice or larks head to the rings if these won't work, but wanted the hooks since they are detachable. What say you ?
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    It probably will not. Most 1 inch D rings I have seen are much bigger in the diameter than the 1/2 inch. You could use a small loop of 1/8th shock cord and then it will fit and you will have a tensioner too.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    It probably will not. Most 1 inch D rings I have seen are much bigger in the diameter than the 1/2 inch. You could use a small loop of 1/8th shock cord and then it will fit and you will have a tensioner too.
    Thanks Dutch. It's always very windy here where I am since its right on the water so having tensioners will work great.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Here's a pic of the 1" D ring on the tarp...

image_5_1200x_1.jpg

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I’ve been using the Line Lock Kook is almost exclusively and use them exactly as Dutch suggests on my Superfly. It comes with much larger tie-out loops that the Hooks won’t fit into, so I looped both zing-it and 1/8 shock cord to each tie-out. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks Aggie! What cordage do you use with yours? I've been using Zing-it with the regular line lock 3's that are on my Old Man Winter and Chill Gorilla hex, but wanted something a little thicker so I went with reflective 2.3mm line this time around.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks Aggie! What cordage do you use with yours? I've been using Zing-it with the regular line lock 3's that are on my Old Man Winter and Chill Gorilla hex, but wanted something a little thicker so I went with reflective 2.3mm line this time around.
    I’ve just been using ZingIt. I realize it’s right on the verge of being too thin and in wet/windy conditions I need to throw a slip hitch to keep it from slipping, but it keeps me from having multiple spools of line sitting around.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    That's the same issue I always have with it when it's wet. I figured the 2.3mm will have better holding power w/o the need for the safety ½ hitch. Just as long as this new stuff I got doesn't turn into a sponge when it gets wet I think it's gonna work well for me here where I'm at. If not, I've still got a ¼ roll of Zing-it left , or hell I could even use the #38 bank line I have in my Bushcraft H-harness rig in really wet conditions........ That stuff would never slip! I'll let you know how it works....

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Here's a pic of the 1" D ring on the tarp...

image_5_1200x_1.jpg
    I'd snip that D ring off if you're not going to use it. I feel like there should be a slotted, slip on webbing type of D ring. Quick search says there isn't however.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I would be reluctant to cut the existing d-rings off for fear that the shock cord would eventually saw through the grosgrain. Better to use the shock cord idea and plan to rip the seams out of the grosgrain and sew on some regular Lineloc 3's.

If you don't need the tensioner and wanted to forgo the shock cord, snip off the big d-rings and thread some 1/2" stainless split rings on the grosgrain.. the Lineloc Hook will clip the split ring and the ring will give you a failure point as well.

Somewhat related to the slippage...

I use Z-Packs 1.2 reflective Z-Line (a kin to Dutch Wire I think) and love how it handles, especially with gloves.

I have a huge inventory of Linkeloc 3 Hooks and all of my tarps have 1/2" Beastie D's. Before investing in a cache of Lineloc V's I figured I'd try the Linkloc 3 Hooks... No bueno. LineLoc 3 Hooks can't bite into something as thin as 1.2 Z-Line, so I used a thin cut-off wheel in a dremel to cut a single thin slit in the 'V' of the Lineloc and it now works perfectly with the thinner gauge cordage.

I am still putting the slippery half hitch in the line just to be safe, but so far I love the linelocs and will eventually cut the Beastie D's off and sew on standard Lineloc V's..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast