Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Anyone on here that has hiked the Continental Divide Trail - CDT?

I am planning on thru-hiking the CDT beginning in April and am curious about hammock hangs (or lack of) on the CDT, particularly in New Mexico and Wyoming.

Current intention is to take my All Terrain Setup - https://www.longdistancehiker.com/ha...terrain-setup/

Regardless, if there is some longer sections that are not conducive to hammocking, I may swap in some other gear for sections.

Thanks in advance!
    Thanks for all the feedback and information you have on your LDH posts. I’m trying to work on a similar type setup just so I have something prepared should I ever do any hiking where a tarp would work best.

A couple of questions:in very windy/ stormy weather, has the tarp performed better hung for a hammock or ground pitch?

Have you tried inflatable pads as opposed to the Foam pads? I’m currently using a Neo Air short. It gives me enough cushion for the ground and I’ve doubled it up with a 40° Phoenix down to 25 and was perfectly warm. I’m wondering how the foam compares. I know its a little lighter, but the foam takes more room

Finally, your gear list says homemade pack, any idea how large it is?

Thanks again, great stuff!

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    I have hiked the CDT in WY and CO; I used my hammock everywhere in CO, i could have done the same even in the Great Basin. There was always somewhere to hang the hammock with a bit of imagination.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback and information you have on your LDH posts. I’m trying to work on a similar type setup just so I have something prepared should I ever do any hiking where a tarp would work best.

A couple of questions:in very windy/ stormy weather, has the tarp performed better hung for a hammock or ground pitch?

Have you tried inflatable pads as opposed to the Foam pads? I’m currently using a Neo Air short. It gives me enough cushion for the ground and I’ve doubled it up with a 40° Phoenix down to 25 and was perfectly warm. I’m wondering how the foam compares. I know its a little lighter, but the foam takes more room

In a general way, the hammock tarp has performed better hung for a hammock...IF, I am hammocking...I am off the ground, ridgeline is connected to trees....I stay drier So...and maybe this is getting at the core of your question - If I were in a storm and had the capacity to sleep either in the hammock or on the ground, which would I choose? Hammock definitely. I have experienced strong winds and rain on several trails in the hammock and on occasion get the very end of a hammock wet..no biggie. Friends who slept on the ground in tents and tarps were dealing with puddles, collapsing poles, etc...

If however, you need to go to ground, and a storm is on or approaching. Set up nice and low on ground that is higher than the surrounding ground, try to tie off your ridgeline ends to trees, or bushes...and back up all your stakes with rocks (or tie off if possible). I have even pulled over small downed trees (to tie off the sides of the tarp) a couple times on our Mississippi River Thru Canoe....It was often quite windy.

I have used a few different inflatable pads; a Large NeoAir, a ProLite, and Short NeoAir. All are more comfortable than the foam Z Rest pad. The Z rest pad, however has some multi-use properties for me that make it a good choice as a backup ground option. I use 7 sections (7oz).

- under my legs in the hammock when it is cold.
    - ground pad for sitting during breaks, lunch
    - desert siestas while waiting out afternoon heat
    - clean place to set and organize gear as I pack and unpack
    - and, of course, as a sleep pad.

Actually, I do not pack the foam pad inside, but rather on top of my pack to pull off quickly at breaks. I don't want it to take up the room inside either. I have put it inside when I first was using the Z Rest, but it makes it less accessible during breaks.

If, we are on a trip that we don't plan to use our hammocks, I take the NeoAir Small. I did this on the Grand Enchantment Trail in 2018, and more recently on the Oregon Desert Trail in 2019.

Backpack - The main compartment is roughly 1800 Cubic Inches or roughly 30 Liters.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by whmoller View Post
    I have hiked the CDT in WY and CO; I used my hammock everywhere in CO, i could have done the same even in the Great Basin. There was always somewhere to hang the hammock with a bit of imagination.
    That is great news...even in the basin? Hot d*mn! Thanks!
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    In a general way, the hammock tarp has performed better hung for a hammock..
    Thank you for the reply. I was mainly concerned with how well the tarp handles high winds when using a ridgeline, seems like you didn’t have any issues and that’s great to hear. Based on your use of the Z Rest I’m thinking of tweaking my load a bit. Currently I’m using just the Z Rest sit pad, but it’s a little more limited than the cut up pad you’re using.

And good to hear you can fit it all in a 30L pack. I’m working on fitting all my gear into a 40 and I’m just about there.

I look forward to getting caught up on your trips. Thanks again for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply. I was mainly concerned with how well the tarp handles high winds when using a ridgeline, seems like you didn’t have any issues and that’s great to hear. Based on your use of the Z Rest I’m thinking of tweaking my load a bit. Currently I’m using just the Z Rest sit pad, but it’s a little more limited than the cut up pad you’re using.

And good to hear you can fit it all in a 30L pack. I’m working on fitting all my gear into a 40 and I’m just about there.

I look forward to getting caught up on your trips. Thanks again for sharing.

I set mine up in the desert a few times on the PCT and once had some pretty awful weather come in. My feet got wet but the tarp held up surprisingly well, though I had to stack rocks on my stakes

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie

I tried using the z-lite foam pad and wound up switching to just carrying the Neo Air 3/4. While I agree with Chop about the multi-use of the foam pad. I sleep on my side or stomach and the foam pad just didn't do it for me. The short with my pack under my feet seemed to work the best for me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    I tried using the z-lite foam pad and wound up switching to just carrying the Neo Air 3/4. While I agree with Chop about the multi-use of the foam pad. I sleep on my side or stomach and the foam pad just didn't do it for me. The short with my pack under my feet seemed to work the best for me.
    Thanks for the input, I thought I remembered you having one in your list. I’m a side sleeper as well and the Neo Air has seemed comfortable (enough) the few times I’ve used it so far.

Thanks for the input, I thought I remembered you having one in your list. I’m a side sleeper as well and the Neo Air has seemed comfortable (enough) the few times I’ve used it so far.

This was an area I didn’t even try being light; I carried a sea to summit ether light- 4 inches of decadent comfort. I’m a side sleeper and a big dude, so it was worth it to me. I should note that once I got used to sleeping on the ground, this mattered less. I had to send in my pad in the Sierra and borrowed a neoair (which also had a leak) and found it much more comfortable than I remembered it being in shelters on the AT

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    I don't blame you one bit. I am a side sleeper as well.. The foam pad gets me by, but I don't love it. Carrying the small Neo Air is not a bad idea.

Have you used it under your legs for cool nights?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    This was an area I didn’t even try being light; I carried a sea to summit ether light- 4 inches of decadent comfort. I’m a side sleeper and a big dude, so it was worth it to me. I should note that once I got used to sleeping on the ground, this mattered less. I had to send in my pad in the Sierra and borrowed a neoair (which also had a leak) and found it much more comfortable than I remembered it being in shelters on the AT
    4"...that sounds glorious for ground sleeping!

Thank you for the reply. I was mainly concerned with how well the tarp handles high winds when using a ridgeline, seems like you didn’t have any issues and that’s great to hear. Based on your use of the Z Rest I’m thinking of tweaking my load a bit. Currently I’m using just the Z Rest sit pad, but it’s a little more limited than the cut up pad you’re using
    It may depend on how you use your ridge line. My systems is a single line between two trees with prussiks (and mini biners) connected to the tarp. I like that system for a variety of reasons, but it is certainly good in rough weather.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast