Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

DIY Synthetic UQ help

Here are the beginnings of my UQ design. I am planning on darting the ends for form fitting and bulk reduction - taking off 14" on the foot end and potentially 20" off head end. Looking to see your thoughts and suggestions. My UQ will be 2 layers of the 7.5z climashield.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Interesting plan- I'm not sure why you want to narrow the head end so much being a winter quilt and all?
    An idea I read on the forum someplace sounded good- Set up an ironing board with a couple pillows on it, then wrap the double layers of insulation over the pillows. This will give you a nice "U" shape of insulation which you can lightly quilt with wool yarn so it holds this shape. Pretty neat idea.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Interesting indeed - yeah that picture only shows my plan for the foot end but I am planning Darting both ends.
    I am inferring a lot in this build so let me address your question in a few areas;
    1) From my research and experience, the Darting will shape the shell so all I should need to do is trim the climashield to fit. Climashield is different from Apex in that it is solid enough to just sew. Most folks have trouble stitching it to the shell so my plan was to sandwich it between the shell and the sewn fabric channel hopefully creating slidable surfaces that the presser foot and feed dogs can manipulate without bunching. Additionally compounding my problems is the fact that I am trying to make mine double layer which will be really challenging to feed through a 3/8" gap under my presser foot and feed dogs. Hutzlebein had been having issues with this too I believe.
    2) As I had said, I am contemplating removing 14" off the foot end and 18" off the head end. This should leave a length of 40" at the foot end and 36" on the head end. Should make sealing up the ends work just as it does on a traditional down UQ. Basically removing the bulk so it actually can cinch up properly without bunching and creating gaps that allow CBS.
    3) The weight of the quilt exaserbates the problem. If you haven't seen others' attempts, it bunches up too much causing gaps and cold spots in a single layer of 7.5z climashield. 10.5z is too thick to cinch up properly too but would still be less thick than 2 layers of 7.5z. Combine this bunching with the weight pulling the quilt down and you have failed at sealing up your ends creating serious gaps leading to major CBS.
    Facebook is filled with the "rectangle" disasters. Dutchware design shows the rectangle method but the pictures I have seen of the finished product tell the tale. The ends look like a ball of fabric on builds that use anything over like 5-6z's of climashield. You will see some successes but they don't look very well and I suspect over time they will start having issues.

Last edited by GilligansWorld; 01-01-2020 at 23:12. Reason: Grammer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    ...Basically removing the bulk so it actually can cinch up properly without bunching and creating gaps that allow CBS.
    3) The weight of the quilt exaserbates the problem. If you haven't seen others' attempts, it bunches up too much causing gaps and cold spots in a single layer of 7.5z climashield.
    This is an intriguing response to the issue and I'll be following your progress with interest. I had exactly the bunching and gapping at first on my DIY quilt (made with Apex 5, I believe) mainly because I originally used grosgrain to form the end channels. That was so dissatisfactory that I ripped it out and remade the end channels with nylon left over from the build. That more or less cured the issue, but your idea of just having less material to bunch up might be even better.

If you'll continue to update as you go and maybe share a photo or two, I'd appreciate it. Depending on how yours works out, I might be inspired to take mine apart and cut down the ends to achieve the same thing.
    Thanks.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Head end Darts done

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    This is an intriguing response to the issue and I'll be following your progress with interest. I had exactly the bunching and gapping at first on my DIY quilt (made with Apex 5, I believe) mainly because I originally used grosgrain to form the end channels. That was so dissatisfactory that I ripped it out and remade the end channels with nylon left over from the build. That more or less cured the issue, but your idea of just having less material to bunch up might be even better.

If you'll continue to update as you go and maybe share a photo or two, I'd appreciate it. Depending on how yours works out, I might be inspired to take mine apart and cut down the ends to achieve the same thing.
    Thanks.
    Try this again from a desktop computer. Tapatalk messed that last one up.

I would love to. I have been getting some advice from one of our cottage vendors as well so I think I am in good hands. I fear I may have removed too much material in the head end darts however, but we shall see. I am modifying the foot end darts to just 3 darts = only about a 6" removal of material and not nearly as deep down on the foot end. I think we are only going to go down about 2 feet on the out side ones and the third dart will run the center line but only for about 16" maybe 18" depending on how she looks.
    I forgot to mention I bought some of the 10.5z climashield as well and will be using this for a chair quilt since I only got a yard of the 10.5z.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    I'm curious about your thinking on removing more width on the head end. As I'm not in the middle of trying to puzzle through something like this, my first thought was that I'd want the head end wider, since I am wider at the head end than my feet! Just curious how you made that decision.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    I'm curious about your thinking on removing more width on the head end. As I'm not in the middle of trying to puzzle through something like this, my first thought was that I'd want the head end wider, since I am wider at the head end than my feet! Just curious how you made that decision.
    On the head and the foot end is where you have your cinching for your shock cord. Since this is two layers of the 7.5z (basically each side of the shell has the climate shield sewn to it) - some of the issues that I've seen, from other builds on here but more specifically on Facebook, has been too much material to cinch up properly. If you read through this thread I addressed this above.

But to restate - it's too much material. It bunches up causes gaps and leads to cold butt syndrome.

Perhaps my mindset is a little too narrow but I only saw two options to rectify this;
    1) Make a synthetic quilt that wasn't as thick or go as cold as I had intended - or perhaps shape insulation to match my body (in 2 layers) So basically you Have one layer that's stitched directly to the shell which would be the rectangular shape 58" by 72" - And the second one would be more of a shape of my body stitched directly to the climashield sewn to the shell. And although I like this idea I'm not exactly certain how this would shape up.
    2)cut down the amount of material that you're trying to cinch together at the head and foot end. This method although a little time-consuming and a pain in the butt seem to be the wisest choice to keep this quilt thick and warm - But again from some of the help that I'm getting from our cottage vendors - I may have removed too much material on the head end to be effective all the way through my shoulders will just have to see.

Last edited by GilligansWorld; 01-06-2020 at 18:19.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Head end (red stitching) and foot end Darts (yellow stitching) done. Now for channel construction and climashield stitching.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Ok shells are sewn to climashield and I have 3 perimeters sewn up - last perimeter and then the suspension and we're done. 2 layers of 7.5z very challenging to sew all together.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast