Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    4 + years of camping in my hammock, all 4 seasons. NY, NJ and PA.. all different weather, snow, rain, sleet, ice, wind, heat and humidity.. have yet to wish i had one. Never needed it yet at any time.. i have considered it but then i say why would I want to add ANOTHER piece of gear? My kit is dialed in perfectly for me now and i take the minimum but also have my luxury items .. so why add something else to pack and unpack and carry? For me.. im good without it, i almost think its gimmicky.
    I've got one (2QZQ) but have yet to use it, not even in a quick field test, which is very unusual for me because testing the validity of claims is something I usually relish.

Got it early on because so many said it is a must-have, although I have encountered a wide range of weather the past 2+ years that I've been hanging and have not yet found it necessary.

Maybe I should field test during some of my quick local overnighters, but like Dirtbaghiker I am loath to add anything to my kit that isn't really needed.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I also have one from 2QZQ and I really only use it if it's below 30* or if it's rainy/sloppy out. I keep it in the shelf of my WBBB and it just packs into my stuff sack. I know it's extra weight but it ensures that I never forget it. I found with my Superfly that I am always dry but that little extra insurance never hurts in case of blowing wind/rain and it definitely helps in the colder weather

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I've got one (2QZQ) but have yet to use it, not even in a quick field test, which is very unusual for me because testing the validity of claims is something I usually relish.

Got it early on because so many said it is a must-have, although I have encountered a wide range of weather the past 2+ years that I've been hanging and have not yet found it necessary.

Maybe I should field test during some of my quick local overnighters, but like Dirtbaghiker I am loath to add anything to my kit that isn't really needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhiker View Post
    I also have one from 2QZQ and I really only use it if it's below 30* or if it's rainy/sloppy out. I keep it in the shelf of my WBBB and it just packs into my stuff sack. I know it's extra weight but it ensures that I never forget it. I found with my Superfly that I am always dry but that little extra insurance never hurts in case of blowing wind/rain and it definitely helps in the colder weather
    It seems to me that, even with the larger tarps with doors, unless pitched very close to the ground and doors closed, there will always be a potential slight breeze blowing under the UQ. Thus it seems to me(not easy to prove!) that even if staying dry, that an UQ with even a slight breeze blowing under it will not be quite as warm as it could be. Which might become an issue if pushing the limits of the UQ, i.e. going to the lower temp rating(or whatever your limit is with that quit under zero wind conditions) or even a few degrees colder. But that small boost - if it even exists- might not be worth the added gear. Except that, when pitched close to the ground and door closed, condensation- and avoiding contact with the condensation covered inner tarp- might become a challenge. Unless of course the tarp is really huge. Big enough tarp can solve almost everything. Except maybe for dripping condensation.

But again, the biggest benefit- seems to me- of the UQP is allowing a higher, wider pitch with any given tarp, while maintaining at least as much wind block(while in the hammock at least) as the biggest tarp. Or even one step further: allowing use of a smaller, lighter, less bulky tarp, again with at least as much wind block while sleeping. In both cases, with potentially less condensation issues, and/or fewer problems trying to avoid contact with the inner surface of a condensation covered tarp. Don't know about Y'all, but I have certainly had some challenges trying to avoid contact with that wet tarp while getting in and out of a hammock, especially when pitched in "storm mode".

OTOH, the big advantage of the big tarp vs the smaller tarp with UQP? Every situation where I am not laying down in the hammock. Sitting in the hammock, or on a little camp chair that I brought along. Or, believe it or not on more than one trip I have been on: having the neighbors over for a visit! Then the bigger tarps are invaluable! I have even had my tenting buddies join me under the tarp, after they got tired of being hunkered down inside a tent in an all day rain. A big tarp can be a wonderful thing sometimes, and mostly negates the need for an UQP, even though the UQP will still allow a wider, higher tarp pitch- with any sized tarp- while sleeping.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As far as, "three things (hammock/tarp/UQP) to bring instead of two..." I always leave my UQP on my hammock. It still packs easily in the double ended stuff sack or any sleeve. There are many times when it isn't needed so I understand when people say, "I've never needed one." BUT - for me, there have been times when it has made life more comfortable for very little cost (weight/bulk). It definitely extends the season I can use a less warm, less heavy, UQ.

If you are not into winter camping per say, the extra warmth available with a UQP means getting out sooner in the Spring and staying out longer in the Fall.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Not a need but but very nice to have

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I love mine in hot humid summers where I can use just the UQP instead of a light underquilt as it stops the wind from cooling you too much but doesn't trap too much heat. On the downside, skeeters get in there and make a lot of noise trying to find their way out. You can dump out hundreds of the dead suckers in the morning.

(I know that doesn't apply for the OP though.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Same here. 8 years in and I haven't needed a UQP once. The one time I got wet was such a wild storm, everything got wet that wasn't in a drybag, so it wouldn't have helped.

I used a standard hex tarp 80% of the time (Mamajamba), Superfly mostly in the winter, then on to the Thunderfly when it came out not too long ago. Quilts keep me warm, tarp keeps me dry. If I need a UQP "to add a couple degrees" I already did something wrong IMO.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If I need a UQP "to add a couple degrees" I already did something wrong IMO.
    That's my general philosophy. I almost always use everything I brought on every trip... outside of FAK/repair/emergency... and that is all in a very small silnylon zipped bag. I don't carry anything that there's a remote chance I might use some day, or that 'would be nice.'

Gotta leave room for the Fireball Whisky that MikekiM introduced to me, and my cigar.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    Many of the places I hang have quite a bit of scratchy undergrowth, which could tear the shell lining of my expensive UQ. I don't worry much about it, or generally need to stomp down the shrubbery, because I carry a UQP. To me, that's the main point of a UQP, and why it's called a protector, not an enhancer. Blocking wind and rain splash are just side benefits.

Do I need an UQP? No, but it's very nice to have.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jhersh View Post
    Many of the places I hang have quite a bit of scratchy undergrowth, which could tear the shell lining of my expensive UQ. I don't worry much about it, or generally need to stomp down the shrubbery, because I carry a UQP. To me, that's the main point of a UQP, and why it's called a protector, not an enhancer. Blocking wind and rain splash are just side benefits.

Do I need an UQP? No, but it's very nice to have.
    I pick another spot, or cut that stuff away if I can't. It's annoying hearing that scratching sound anyway and messing with my ground sheet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast