Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    7 years of using my Superfly and have never needed an UQP, including in the most ridiculous heavy wind and rain that the PNW can throw at me.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    Brady

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    As others said it depends on you. I have a 12x12 tarp for bad weather so obviously don't need a UQP for weather concerns but I always use one.

I am short, very short with less than a 27" inseam, which means my quilts are fairly close to the ground. Therefore I use a UQP to make sure my down quilts never touch the ground.

In hot VA summers many times I just use the UQP under me. It keeps the skeeters from biting through my hammock and gives me all the insulation I need when over night times don't go below 80F.

So short answer is no, you don't need one but do you want one
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

Is an uq protector needed with a Superfly

A others have mentioned, the Super Fly can be pitched low enough to the ground that rain and wind are rarely a problem, so no you don’t “need” a UQP.

Along with the aforementioned benefits, the UQP can also be used as a catch-all tube. Just loop some shockcord around the top and cinch it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Love my uqp
    Saved me 2 weeks ago
    Here she is doing work
    20191214_165833.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The UQP allows for a less than perfect UQ fit. If you are out alone, it can be difficult to inspect the "fit" of the UQ while you are in the hammock. An UQP makes that adjustment less critical. Also, as much practice as I have, there are still times when the hammock, maybe weighted with a TQ and night clothes, slips out of my hand (or from under my arm) while making tweaks to the suspension. The UQP keeps it off the ground.

You didn't mention if you have doors but from your comment about surviving PNW wind and rain, I'm guessing you do. If not, then an UQP is a protection against a wind direction change once your tarp is up. And in the winter you might want to keep the doors open a bit for ventilation (to minimize condensation); the UQP keeps the heat robbing breeze off the UQ.

And in the summer, you may get away without needed a UQ at all as the UQP could block the wind enough to keep you warm and/or work in tandem with a Pad that could also be used if you needed to go to ground. So you could be prepared for trees or ground with a hammock, tarp, TQ, pad and UQP.

Those are just a few benefits.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Two thru hikes and I’ve never really needed an UQP, but when I added one for Washington I liked it.

With a tarp that big is lean towards no. If it’s light and you’re not counting ounces, I’d say who cares, peace of mind is often with the wait

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    4 + years of camping in my hammock, all 4 seasons. NY, NJ and PA.. all different weather, snow, rain, sleet, ice, wind, heat and humidity.. have yet to wish i had one. Never needed it yet at any time.. i have considered it but then i say why would I want to add ANOTHER piece of gear? My kit is dialed in perfectly for me now and i take the minimum but also have my luxury items .. so why add something else to pack and unpack and carry? For me.. im good without it, i almost think its gimmicky.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Worst thing about an UQP is having to make sure you grab 3 things when you go to sit in the hammock. Don't ask me how I know this, LOL.

I don't know that I buy the added weight/bulk argument. Lots of folks use a netted hammock, partially because it adds warmth, but I'd say the UQP does as much on the backside where its needed more. So you can take 6-7oz+ of added hammock weight, or can add the same or less of UQ protection. The real need of the UQP is to combat the exaggerated affect of small breezes that rob your UQ of efficiency in keeping you warm. Folks that put out lots of heat might not need to worry about that as much, but colder sleepers need all the help they can get. So is one needed? With a superfly, you're not going to get wet. But even if you bring it down low on the ridgeline, you're still going to have your underside exposed. The pic below is a std hang and note the negative apex below the tarp edge, which is even more exposure than shown in the pic due to the angle...

https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...earchid=226763

The UQP is a relatively new item of gear in the hammock world, where lots of folks used to camp without issue with smaller hex tarps (no doors) and even diamond tarps (HH). So, no, you certainly don't need it with a superfly. You're not going to get wet, but you will be exposed underneath and you may find it worthwhile to add it to your gear. If you don't know - which sounds like the case here - I would add it if you can splurge for it, but don't worry about it if you can't. Get out, hang, decide for yourself.

p.s. there seem to be some folks here that have to deal with windblown rain more so than I ever have in the southern Appalachians. I don't think you'd ever get "wet" in the superfly, but potentially could get some dampness and it will help with that. Keep in mind that UQP's are typically breathable, and not waterproof, so that they don't get wet from condensation - that's your real threat for getting wet, and its something that I believe is more of an issue these days with folks using their tarps like enclosures with doors employed and hunkered down.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 01-03-2020 at 12:35. Reason: pic was small, replaced with link
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Worst thing about an UQP is having to make sure you grab 3 things when you go to sit in the hammock. Don't ask me how I know this, LOL.

This gentleman is spot on - the real use of an underquilt protector is basically it’s a windbreaker. Sure it had add warmth in good conditions, but even with a great tarp pitch wind coming in sideways will hit your UQ and rob warmth.

There have only been a handful of times out east (AT and the Dolly Sods of WV) where that was ever an issue for me.

Out west? Most places I found to hang a hammock in the desert were pretty windy - one night it was sustained and bad enough to make me swing. Freezing. This is what ultimately led me to get a tent in SoCal instead of tarping; I just wanted a nice, wind proof home. I was also happy I had the UQP in Washington due to the cold and unending rain, but still, it was mostly it’s wind blocking power that I appreciated.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    This gentleman is spot on - the real use of an underquilt protector is basically it’s a windbreaker. Sure it had add warmth in good conditions, but even with a great tarp pitch wind coming in sideways will hit your UQ and rob warmth.

There have only been a handful of times out east (AT and the Dolly Sods of WV) where that was ever an issue for me.

Out west? Most places I found to hang a hammock in the desert were pretty windy - one night it was sustained and bad enough to make me swing. Freezing. This is what ultimately led me to get a tent in SoCal instead of tarping; I just wanted a nice, wind proof home. I was also happy I had the UQP in Washington due to the cold and unending rain, but still, it was mostly it’s wind blocking power that I appreciated.
    Ditto all that Shrewd said. And the many others also. Not sure why I'm chiming in, when the subject is pretty well covered. I get the feeling the consensus is: no you don't need one, but they sure can be nice even with a Superfly. And I can't argue with that.

Maybe this aspect has not been covered much: You won't need doors near as much with an UQP, or if you have doors you can mostly leave them open, maybe only closing one end in worst case scenarios. Another aspect goes hand in hand with this: on any given night, you can pitch whatever tarp you are using higher and wider. Which is first of all generally a more pleasant hang for me, but more importantly might lead to less condensation. And if you still get a lot of condensation, higher and wider should lead to less contact with a soaked tarp as you enter and exit your hammock. I have had many a tarp, with it's inner surface soaked with condensation, become a bit of a PITA especially if conditions demanded a low, closed pitch. I ever need near as low/closed when using an UQP.

All of the above inevitably leads to another benefit, although not so much for you since you already have a big tarp. And that benefit is: you can use a cheaper, smaller, lighter, less bulky tarp. Because one of the functions that a larger tarp provides- protection from side ways wind/rain/snow and splashup, is already provided by the UQP. And IMO, the UQP provides even better hammock protetion from sideways wind/rain than the larger tarp can do. IMO, though I might be wrong.

I am an old time/long time UQP pusher/promoter from way back in the ancient days. That is because when I started hanging in 06, starting first time ever in a hammock on a week long backpacking trip the high elevation Rockies in WY in Sept, I started with a Hennessy Super Shelter. (HHSS). This was the only thing I knew for a year or more. (still use it on occasion) You may not know that the stock tarp on that set up is an 11 oz asym diamond shaped tarp which always left me very nervous about coverage, though some folks get by OK with it. But despite that tiny tarp, that system has never failed to be bombproof for me, because it included a sil-nylon, wind/water proof under cover ( UC, essentially = to an UQP). This comes up well above the sides of the hammock and also covers the ends all around. Wind simply can not get past it. And if wind driven rain is coming from one side, I can even rotate it (while inside the hammock) so that the edge of the UC makes contact with the tarp on the windward side. On the last night of that trip, if I was going to sleep near my buddies at 10,000 ft at Big Sandy Lake, my only choice was 2 small trees right on the lake shore, with high winds blowing across the lake and into the foot end of the small diamond/asym tarp all night long. Temps were high 30s or low 40s, don't know. (only night I actually measured was 22ºF) The wind bounced me around all night. I slept warm and toasty, never even felt the wind. Though my buddies were taking bets that I was going to freeze and how long I would last. And if I had that small tarp with a down UQ and no UQP, I'm sure I would have froze. But even with a bigger tarp, unless really big, unless I pitched it pretty low and could close some doors, I think the wind might have still been at least a slight problem, depending on the UQs rating. Wind can just suck all he warmth out of an UQ.

So, IMO, UQPs can be handy little items. But, most of the time we can probably get by without them, especially if the tarp is big enough and has doors. Though, when closing every thing up and pitching close to the ground, watch out for condensation.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-03-2020 at 17:07.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast